7 Footer Liam Robbins from Drake Commits

Still holding out hope for Walton? Me too, but it doesn't seem realistic at this point, does it? Maybe I'm just breaking up before I get broken up with.
UNC now has an open scholarship. Betting he takes that when offered.

I’m still in shock that WE landed Robbins. Losing Daniel seemed like the death knell of the team, and now (provided the committee passes the new rule), we might see only a small drop off at the center spot. Heck, might it even be possible there would be NO drop off? He would have to take another leap for that to be true. I also like the idea of two years of Peterson (if we don’t get Walton). I say you take the first one to say yes, and you keep recruiting other good players until that happens.

@RyanBurnsMN: That'd be some big news.
Forgot to post this last night when I saw it. Would be good news for Robbins.
But does “apply immediately” mean starting with transfers that occur after the start of the 2020-21 year (meaning occurring this summer and onward) or will they apply back to transfer that have occurred this spring (technically still in the 2019-20 year)?

per the U:

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of a pair of highly sought-after transfer student-athletes, welcoming center Liam Robbins and forward Brandon Johnson to the Gophers.

Robbins spent the previous two seasons at Drake, while Johnson spent four seasons at Western Michigan and will be eligible immediately as a graduate student.

"We are excited to announce the additions of Brandon and Liam to our basketball program," Pitino said. "We set out to add some important pieces to our front court and felt like we did that with both guys. We expect both student-athletes to make an immediate impact on and off the court."

The 7-foot, 235-pound Robbins, a native of Davenport, Iowa, spent two seasons with the Bulldogs and exploded in his sophomore campaign. He averaged team highs of 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds along with 2.9 blocks per game, starting all 34 games for Drake and earning All-Missouri Valley Conference Second Team, All-Defensive Team and MVC Most Improved honors. He set a school record with 99 total blocks, the third most in MVC history, and finished fifth in the nation in that category.

"Liam is dominant on the low block but can also step out and stretch the defense," Pitino commented. "He is also one of the best shot blockers in the country."

Robbins, who tallied seven double-doubles on the season, was also an NABC All-District Second Team honoree. A product of Assumption High School, Robbins is the nephew of Gophers associate head coach Ed Conroy and cousin of rising senior Hunt Conroy.

Johnson has been a perennial starter for the Broncos, as the 6-8, 220-pound forward amassed 92 starts during his three years on the court. A third-team All-Mid-American Conference selection this year, Johnson led the team in rebounds (258), blocks (31) and double-doubles (6) while ranking second in scoring.

He averaged 15.4 points and 8.1 rebounds per game this year, ranking eighth in the latter category among all MAC players. He redshirted the 2018-19 season due to injury but steadily saw improvement in his stat totals during his freshman and sophomore seasons in Kalamazoo. Johnson graduated from Thea Bowman Leadership Academy in Gary, Ind., where he averaged 15 points and 6.5 rebounds during his senior prep season.

"Brandon provides a great inside out attack offensively," Pitino said. "He's tough and physical. His motor never stops running. He will be ready to compete in the Big Ten from day one."

Go Gophers!!

CBS: Ranking college basketball's top 10 transfers of the 2020 recruiting cycle

4. Liam Robbins
Old school
: Drake | New school: Minnesota

Robbins needed a year at prep school to lose weight and attract college interest after high school, but his rise has been meteoric since he got on the right track. The 7-footer will now get to test his game in the sport's toughest league after a breakout sophomore season in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Iowa native averaged 14.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.9 blocks this season. If his game continues progressing on its current trajectory, he'll be a force in the Big Ten in his remaining two seasons of eligibility.

Go Gophers!!

This should be a good team this year IMO as long as they all get the waiver. Even if Peterson doesn't we should be good. Staff needs to make it happen!

CBS: Ranking college basketball's top 10 transfers of the 2020 recruiting cycle

4. Liam Robbins
Old school
: Drake | New school: Minnesota

Robbins needed a year at prep school to lose weight and attract college interest after high school, but his rise has been meteoric since he got on the right track. The 7-footer will now get to test his game in the sport's toughest league after a breakout sophomore season in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Iowa native averaged 14.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.9 blocks this season. If his game continues progressing on its current trajectory, he'll be a force in the Big Ten in his remaining two seasons of eligibility.

Go Gophers!!

And a bit of icing on the cake, is that the third ranked transfer (according to the article) is
Kobe King who left the BADgers. We pick up three great transfers, and they lose one.

And a bit of icing on the cake, is that the third ranked transfer (according to the article) is
Kobe King who left the BADgers. We pick up three great transfers, and they lose one.
They were so much better without King and they will be even better this coming season.

They were so much better without King and they will be even better this coming season.

0 wins in either tournament, not impressed.

But being serious, I think WI played a bit over their head in win streak. They’ll be in running for B1g again, but I’ll hold off on calling them team of destiny.

0 wins in either tournament, not impressed.

But being serious, I think WI played a bit over their head in win streak. They’ll be in running for B1g again, but I’ll hold off on calling them team of destiny.
I would not call them a team of destiny but do think they are going to finish ahead of us in the conference.

Top Bottom