7 Footer Liam Robbins from Drake Commits

Pessimist guy says: Walton isn't coming here, Carr is leaving, and Robbins will be forced to sit next season while other schools' transfers get immediate eligibility.

Pessimist guy says: Walton isn't coming here, Carr is leaving, and Robbins will be forced to sit next season while other transfers get immediate eligibility.
Optimist guy says Walton is coming here,Carr is staying and Roberts will not sit equals Big 10 Champs ! A realist thinks all 3 players play together and we finish top 6 !

Optimist guy says Walton is coming here,Carr is staying and Roberts will not sit equals Big 10 Champs ! A realist thinks all 3 players play together and we finish top 6 !
I guess "A realist" is the son of "Optimist guy" and "Pessimist guy" ?

I guess "A realist" is the son of "Optimist guy" and "Pessimist guy" ?
Not sure how that works. I am by nature a optimist but as a practice i wait and see how newcomers play together in the Big 10 before i go crazy. I have seen a ton of guys that were boasted about come into this program and put up really strong numbers but do not win. Internet guys saying Robbins was pursued by blue bloods, really who ? What elite program offered ? That does not mean he will not do great but let's see it.

Yeah it doesn't really work for two males to conceive a child, last I checked. But you never know these days :cool:

I found this story from February, with an interesting quote from his coach:
DeVries calls him perhaps the most improved player in the league. He said he's heard from other coaches about it.

"(They're) like, 'Holy cow, has he gotten better,' and, 'Where did you get him?' because they didn't even remember him last year," DeVries said.

DeVries expects Robbins to get even better as he gets older. He believes Robbins has the potential to be an even bigger threat from 3-point range. The big thing missing from Robbins' game right now, DeVries said, is consistency. When he finds that, he could take off even more. That might not come this season. But if Robbins has another off-season like he did last year, it could happen soon.

He went 10-41 from deep this season. Dan Oturu went 19-52 this year after going only 1-2 his freshman year.

How about Liam quarantines himself with Ed Conroy and they work on that 3PT game this spring and summer.

What jumps out is he averaged 3 blocks this past season, lord knows we need a rim protector so definitely an important add in that aspect. Probably not going to be the threat from 3 Dan was but it looks he can space the floor a bit too in the clips i’ve seen. He’s an intriguing prospect. This eases the mind a bit about the future of the front court. Fingers crossed he can get immediate eligibility.

Huge get. We had nothing to protect the rim. He'll get immediate eligibility just for the simple fact that they are going to put the one time waiver rule in for all sports.

I promise I won't turn into BarnBurner, built, but when you predicted 15-5 last year.....was that the "optimistic" builtbadgers or the "realistic" builtbadgers? Always enjoy your posts!

I promise I won't turn into BarnBurner, built, but when you predicted 15-5 last year.....was that the "optimistic" builtbadgers or the "realistic" builtbadgers? Always enjoy your posts!
No doubt it was optimistic but based on the fact that i have seen worse talent do that with great coaching.

I think this is a really good pick up. He showed great improvement from his Freshman to Sophomore seasons. FG% jumped by 6%, FT% jumped by 10%. PER jumped from 17 to 25.5. I think he'll have a bigger impact than Lynch did, which will be great. Hopefully Carr stays, then we just gotta figure out the 4 spot again, assuming Robbins is eligible.

Congrats to this young man for completely transforming his physical state and going pretty damn far with his game in a short time.

Outstanding acquisition...optimistic that an avenue for his immediate eligibility will be obtained

@Marcus_R_Fuller: Lot of fans remember what the #Gophers went through with Marcus Carr's waiver being denied by the NCAA after transferring from Pitt. But this is a much different situation with Robbins. His waiver is not for leaving a toxic situation. Current climate seems to give him better shot
Shared via TweetCaster

??

I’ll go into every season optimistic. I don’t care if we’re putting a bunch of middle schoolers on the court. Call me foolish if you want, but I see a lot of potential in this team. Get Carr back, get Gabe and Willis back in form, keep Ihnen on his current trajectory, have Mashburn relieve some of Carr’s minutes, and have a quality big man transfer? That sounds like a fun team to me.

Carr has another year after this year and likely won’t be any closer to the NBA. Are you saying you think he’ll grad transfer?
If he doesn't try for nba this year, he probably will next year. Go the Coffey route- best case nba, g league, if not then over seas. Still getting paid to play ball

I actually think a starting 5 of:

Carr
Willis
Gabe
Inhen
Robbins

has great potential. Especially offensively. Mashburn and Williams can spare minutes for Carr/Willis/Gabe. Omersa and Mitchell up-front, maybe Freeman, maybe Curry(although not expecting much, unfortunately). Add Walton/transfer, it looks like we might finally have some depth.

I’ll go into every season optimistic. I don’t care if we’re putting a bunch of middle schoolers on the court. Call me foolish if you want, but I see a lot of potential in this team. Get Carr back, get Gabe and Willis back in form, keep Ihnen on his current trajectory, have Mashburn relieve some of Carr’s minutes, and have a quality big man transfer? That sounds like a fun team to me.

Would really be nice if the stars would align for us just once next year. Our PG doesn't leave a year too early. We don't lose anybody to a blown knee before the year starts. Our impact transfer lands on the right side of the transfer lottery. Our four star freshman play like four star freshman. Our best two shooters shoot like they are capable. Somebody emerges and plays at a level that we aren't expecting.

Lots of variable in there, however.

I actually think a starting 5 of:

Carr
Willis
Gabe
Inhen
Robbins

has great potential. Especially offensively. Mashburn and Williams can spare minutes for Carr/Willis/Gabe. Omersa and Mitchell up-front, maybe Freeman, maybe Curry(although not expecting much, unfortunately). Add Walton/transfer, it looks like we might finally have some depth.
I rather have a bigger wing and bring Willis off the bench

If you’re 7ft tall and don’t have D1 offers out of high school you’re pretty shitty in high school.

Cool for him to find the motivation/coordination/coaching or whatever it took to be a sought after D1 transfer. I hope he is great.

Exactly. I love late bloomers, many times they'll be your hardest workers.

We will get screwed by the NCAA and he will have to set a year.

Would be surprised if they did it again.

First they were roundly and rightfully critized for the Carr decision.

Secondly, Carr didn't have an Uncle & cousin on the team during a pandemic; he adroitly mentioned that during his announcement - family support. Not even the soulless NCAA is that stupid to make him sit.

Last edited:

If he doesn't try for nba this year, he probably will next year. Go the Coffey route- best case nba, g league, if not then over seas. Still getting paid to play ball

No has any clue what overseas leagues will survive, or pay after the virus is done or if they'll even play next year - same goes for the g league as well - that's fool's gold to count on that scenario.

You and Mpls Gopher should get a 12 pack and figure out how the world is going to end and report back. Gawd.

SMH

Would really be nice if the stars would align for us just once next year. Our PG doesn't leave a year too early. We don't lose anybody to a blown knee before the year starts. Our impact transfer lands on the right side of the transfer lottery. Our four star freshman play like four star freshman. Our best two shooters shoot like they are capable. Somebody emerges and plays at a level that we aren't expecting.

Lots of variable in there, however.
I can see all of that aligning but it really will not amount to much unless we are great defensively. We need a top 20 defense to be a contender in the BIG 10.

No has any clue what overseas leagues will survive, or pay after the virus is done or if they'll even play next year - same goes for the g league as well - that's fool's gold to count on that scenario.

You and Mpls Gopher should get a 12 pack and figure out how the world is going to end and report back. Gawd.

SMH

I'm referring to what would happen in a normal timeframe. That being said, don't take the vaccine and don't take the rfid microchip. God Bless you and your family

They’re not going to give him a waiver, for going to a school that’s farther from home. They’ll see through the uncle angle too.

It’s a matter of if the NCAA approves the one-time free transfer rule, and if they then allow that to go into effect for 2020-21 school year. Could STILL screw us by saying his transfer was during 2019-20 school year. We’ll see

I'm referring to what would happen in a normal timeframe. That being said, don't take the vaccine and don't take the rfid microchip. God Bless you and your family

Okay - thanks for clarifying!

The conversation was referring to the here and now as that is the reality we are living in and unless someone specifically refers to a different context that is the one we are discussing.

How about this - we're both right. Feel bettter?

I sincerely wish you and yours nothing but good health.

Remember smiles are free.:)

Last edited:

Big men take a while to develop. You're right, the guy had to have worked hard to advance this far that quickly.

There is a very notable example of that: Marc Gasol. He left Spain in 2001 as a chubby (albeit big!) 16 year old to join his freshly drafted brother, Pau, in Memphis. He attended a private secondary school in Memphis and took a bit to get going but finished very well there. By the time he went to the NBA in 2008, he was a very different player and athlete from that chubby 16 year old.

Top Bottom