7-3!!! Do we crack the rankings?

Minnesota is currently #21 at TeamRankings and was #18 at Football Outsiders (FEI) and SP+ before Saturday's action.

Computers, algorithms, and Vegas love the Gophers. That's why we're seeing consistently surprising pro-Gopher spreads most weeks.

For human polls it's going to take beating iowa and wisconsin, and even that may not be enough. Oh well.

Minnesota is currently #21 at TeamRankings and was #18 at Football Outsiders (FEI) and SP+ before Saturday's action.

Computers, algorithms, and Vegas love the Gophers. That's why we're seeing consistently surprising pro-Gopher spreads most weeks.

For human polls it's going to take beating iowa and wisconsin, and even that may not be enough. Oh well.
Who are the 25 teams you’re going to have above 9-3 MN

If Minnesota is 9-3 they’ll be closer to 15th than 25th

Surprisingly enough, the Gophers are ranked 4th in the Big Ten in the Power Rankings at #18.

Surprisingly enough, the Gophers are ranked 4th in the Big Ten in the Power Rankings at #18.

Who else are you going to rank?

Iowa, the national joke of an offense, controls their destiny if Michigan beats Illinois.
There just aren’t very many good teams.

Who else are you going to rank?

Iowa, the national joke of an offense, controls their destiny if Michigan beats Illinois.
There just aren’t very many good teams.
I would have expected Illinois to be slightly higher. Being at #18 was a surprise. I think it will take a 9-3 record the Gophers to make the "real" rankings.

I would have expected Illinois to be slightly higher. Being at #18 was a surprise. I think it will take a 9-3 record the Gophers to make the "real" rankings.
Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about too.
I think you’re wrong.
There aren’t 25 other teams

You feel like the gophers shouldn’t be ranked. I feel the same.
But if you look at the other 129 options, you can’t find more than 34 or so that even have an argument over MN

According to Sports Reference's metric, Texas has played the toughest schedule in FBS. Schedule has to mean something.
If the tough games matter, teams scheduling the citadel should be negatively punished just as much. For a team like Alabama, scheduling an FCS opponent should essentially equal as a loss.

If the tough games matter, teams scheduling the citadel should be negatively punished just as much. For a team like Alabama, scheduling an FCS opponent should essentially equal as a loss.

Don't follow that logic. Why should Alabama be punished more than anyone else for scheduling one game in a season with an FCS team? Most FBS teams seem to do that.

Iowa is starting to gain good National attention so beating Iowa would get us ranked.

Iowa is starting to gain good National attention so beating Iowa would get us ranked.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely they'll wait for the Wisconsin outcome to see whether we finish 8-4 or 9-3. Not many 8-4 teams are ranked after the conclusion of the regular season. Arkansas and Texas A&M were the only ones on the AP last year. USC and OK State were the only ones in 2019. There were four 9-3 teams ranked at the close of the regular season in both 2019 and 2021.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely they'll wait for the Wisconsin outcome to see whether we finish 8-4 or 9-3. Not many 8-4 teams are ranked after the conclusion of the regular season. Arkansas and Texas A&M were the only ones on the AP last year. USC and OK State were the only ones in 2019. There were four 9-3 teams ranked at the close of the regular season in both 2019 and 2021.
You can’t compare to other seasons you have to compare to this season.

If you’re 9-3 this year from a power 5 you’re ranked. Right now just 16 power 5 teams left with 2 or fewer losses already. There are still 2 weeks to play. At a minimum 2 of those 16 will pick up a loss next weekend because 4 teams play each other.

The only Non P5 teams in the mix for rankings are:
Notre Dame
UCF
Tulane
Cincinnati
Coastal Carolina

Between those 5 there will be at least two more losses due to the American conference schedule set up.
So there is 3 ranked teams between those 3.
There are only 16 left right now.
Assuming nobody loses any more games a minimum of 6 3 loss teams will be in the top 25.

But people are going to lose more games.

3 non power 5
16 teams two or fewer losses from power 5
8 3 loss teams in power 5 right now.

If you make it to 9-3 you’re going to be top 27 at worst.

Games remaining between power 5 and notre dame between teams with 3 or fewer losses:
NC State vs North Carolina
Michigan vs Ohio state
Michigan vs Illinois
Utah vs Oregon
UCLA vs USC
Oregon vs Oregon state
USC vs Notre dame

Last edited:

We are #33 in the AP Poll receiving 7 vote points.
Illinois ahead of us.

I think Big Ten West is deserving of a team or two, but the voters have no idea who to put any trust behind.

You look like an idiot voting for Iowa this year.
Minnesota went through our unexpected losing skid without a key win to keep us in the conversation.
Wisconsin no one can trust.
Purdue is not reliable.

Media seems to be fond of Iowa so I imagine beating them would put us maybe at 25? if not at least top 30 with AP Votes

We are #33 in the AP Poll receiving 7 vote points.
Illinois ahead of us.

I think Big Ten West is deserving of a team or two, but the voters have no idea who to put any trust behind.

You look like an idiot voting for Iowa this year.
Minnesota went through our unexpected losing skid without a key win to keep us in the conversation.
Wisconsin no one can trust.
Purdue is not reliable.
Nobody is reliable
All 5 are clearly in the 3rd tier of college football this year

Tier 1 = the 7-8 playoff contenders
Tier 2 = the really good teams that aren’t playoff contenders. Like penn state, Alabama, Oregon, Utah
Tier 3 all the best of the mediocre teams.

Media seems to be fond of Iowa so I imagine beating them would put us maybe at 25? if not at least top 30 with AP Votes
4 losses is a lot of losses, especially if your best win is Purdue

Do you believe that?
I don’t think everyone agrees on what a tough SOS is

Is it harder to play 6 9+ win teams and 6 9+ loss teams
Or 12 7+ win teams but only 1 or 2 of them are 9+

I think most SOS measurements simply measure opponent win %
Some do opponent win % and factor in those peoples SOS

RPI really factors in your opponents as well as your opponents opponents

RPi has Texas with #7 SOS
They have Indiana as #1 SOS

Who has a tougher schedule?
Illinois
Idaho
Western Kentucky
Cinci
Nebraska
Michigan
Maryland
Rutgers
Penn state
Ohio state

LA Monroe
Alabama
UTSA
Texas tech
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Iowa state
Ok state
Kansas state
TCU

I personally think Indiana has an easier schedule to go 5-5 against but a harder schedule to go 8-2 against

I don’t think everyone agrees on what a tough SOS is

Is it harder to play 6 9+ win teams and 6 9+ loss teams
Or 12 7+ win teams but only 1 or 2 of them are 9+

I think most SOS measurements simply measure opponent win %
Some do opponent win % and factor in those peoples SOS

RPI really factors in your opponents as well as your opponents opponents

RPi has Texas with #7 SOS
Yes or No. Simple answer.

Yes or No. Simple answer.
I haven’t looked through many teams’ schedules but I bet I could find someone with a schedule I think is tougher than texas’
So I’m going to say no

Hell I think Indiana has played a tougher schedule

Top Bottom