7-3!!! Do we crack the rankings?

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
With todays win and an improved record now of 7-3 any chance we sneak in to a #24 or #25 spot or does a W over Iowa next week get us back into those places? Not that it matters I feel that anytime we do get ranked we tend to lay goose eggs and S the bed so to speak so maybe not being ranked is better for the overall mental health of the team.

Sure we will get votes in both polls but will need at least one more win and maybe 2 to get back into the top 25.

Sure we will get votes in both polls but will need at least one more win and maybe 2 to get back into the top 25.
Think we will get votes.
Don’t think will be ranked. Not enough chaos today.
Only need one win to be ranked though.
There aren’t going to be very many 3 loss power 5 teams left in 8 days
Already just 23 (including Notre Dame) if TCU beats Texas

Without comparing to other 3-loss teams, the resume isn't good. Their best win is 5-5 MSU. Everyone else they beat is sub .500. Colorado and NW have 1 win each, Western Illinois is winless.

I think if you look at us statistically we would be top 15... that being said strength of schedule plays a huge part in the rankings and we don't even have a decent one. A win against a hot Iowa team I think could put us around 23. If we win out I think we end around 20.

We will not crack the top 25 until we beat both Iowa and Wisconsin. Even then we might not make it.

Gophs tied for 38th in Coaches Poll (out of 43).

42 Maryland lost
40 SoCar lost
38 tied Pitt lost
36 Louisville lost
35 Troy just beats Army, 10-9
34 MissIssippi State lost
33 Kansas lost
32 Syracuse lost
30 Baylor lost
28 Wake lost
24 Kentucky lost
21 Illini lost
19 Liberty lost
18 Texas lost
17 Tulane lost
16 NCSU lost

Maybe Gophs show up at 30-32 in coaches poll?

Iowa or Purdue might enter the coaches poll...or someone like Wyoming or Boise or Duke

Last edited:

Some ugly losses and no wins vs good teams makes it a hard argument.

Win out and we should get a ranking.
You know rankings aren’t a measure of how good you are? They are a comparison to the rest of the teams in the country

So I kind of agree with you. But then look at the loss column of teams in the country and we are probably 1 win from it happening. There are only 23 P5+ND left with 3 or fewer losses.
There are only 4 G5 teams that merit consideration to me.
Coastal Carolina, Cinci, Tulane, UCF

4 loss teams that maybe get consideration:
Wake?
Pitt?
Texas?
Kansas?
Iowa?
Purdue?
Wazzu?
Mississippi state?

I don’t know if anyone with a brain can have Minnesota much lower than 34th right now.

I agree with most posters here. MN has not beaten a good team yet and most likely will need to win out to be ranked, although I think they will be close if they beat Iowa next game.

Hope to see PSU crack that top 12 with Ole Miss loss and UCLA on the ropes.

How far does Oregon drop?

UNC might jump PSU with WF win.

Top 25 ranking and any major national media attention are BAD luck to us

Every time Gophers get ranked or receives national media recognition, we fans get our hearts broken or hopes ruined.

Just let us get to 9-3 and a bowl win (10-3) without this top 25 ranking BS please. 🙏

Would guess 30th. That loss against purdue still stings. That was a tough loss against a team we are better than.

I am ok with the illini and PSU loses.

Top 25 ranking and any major national media attention are BAD luck to us

Every time Gophers get ranked or receives national media recognition, we fans get our hearts broken or hopes ruined.

Just let us get to 9-3 and a bowl win (10-3) without this top 25 ranking BS please. 🙏
This take is not only stupid it’s also wrong.

8 out of the Top 25 teams lost. The losers:

#6 Oregon
#11 Ole Miss
#12 UCLA
#16 NC State
#17 Tulane
#18 Texas
#21 Illinois
#24 Vanderbilt

8 out of the Top 25 teams lost. The losers:

#6 Oregon
#11 Ole Miss
#12 UCLA
#16 NC State
#17 Tulane
#18 Texas
#21 Illinois
#24 Vanderbilt
Other notable losses of teams on the fringe:
Liberty
Syracuse
East Carolina
Wake forest
Louisville
Oklahoma
Baylor
Kansas
San Jose State
South Carolina
Mississippi state

7 of these teams were in the others of the AP poll last week. The other 4 were teams that some would have ranked ahead of gophers and some would have ranked behind them

15 teams between 6 and 45 lost this week.
12 teams between 15-45 lost this week.

A ranking is the kiss of death and I want a win against Iowa more!
Not sure why people keep saying this? Can someone show me where we lost immediately after getting ranked over and over again? Yes, sometimes a team gets ranked with multiple games left to be played, and they don’t always win all those games, it’s not because they got ranked…

Action Network out of Vegas has Gophs 21, Bucky 22, NC 27, Purdue 35, Illini 37, Iowa 39.

Power rating would give Gophs 3.5 point edge over Hawks on neutral field.

I would imagine we have to win out in the regular season at least to have a shot to finish ranked, might have to win the bowl game as well.

Not sure why people keep saying this? Can someone show me where we lost immediately after getting ranked over and over again? Yes, sometimes a team gets ranked with multiple games left to be played, and they don’t always win all those games, it’s not because they got ranked…
In fact, most teams who are ranked lose at least a game or two when ranked
If you don’t lose any games while ranked for an entire season, you are called “national champions”

Top Bottom