4-star QB Jaden Rashada committed to Miami tonight, reportedly receives $9.5MM deal

Again I ask, where is the investment? How will it pay off? Does Ruiz sell used cars or mattresses? Something the kid can do TV spots for or stand in the parking lot greeting customers?
Is the idea of marketing foreign to you?

If your question is whether or not using a spokesperson as a tool in marketing is effective, I don't know. But this isn't a unique concept.

The investment is that you know his name.

What You Need to Know - John Ruiz​

• Ruiz began his legal career in personal injury and class actions, quickly rising to take on major pharmaceutical companies.
  • His latest venture is an insurance recovery firm that combines software engineers and lawyers to identify incorrect insurance payments and recover money from primary payers.
  • Ruiz is taking his company public through a Special Purpose Acquisition Company that recently valued MSP Recovery at $33 billion.

I would love to see one of these 'agreements' in writing.

Lawyer Bob - correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is an agreement in writing and it's signed by both parties, then that is a legally enforceable contract, yes?

so, assuming that is true, if a booster promised Joe Stud $8-million and did not deliver, Joe Stud could sue the booster for breach of contract.

and once the word got out that Booster X at Directional State welshed on his deal, then Directional State ain't getting no 4* and 5* players.

of course, both sides have to honor their side of the agreement. the player has to perform whatever services he has agreed to in return for the payment.

Yeah, but the devil is in the details. A lot of that money is likely contingent on some event (start X amount of games, all american, etc.). I'm sure they are also voidable after each year.

How does a high school player choose to enter the NIL process? What are the mechanics?
What do you mean? The same way HS kids get into any other contract. There are HS kids who have contracts throughout the country. I would guess they have a contract with their NIL agent.

I've said this a number of times now but this really changes nothing. There has been a competitive imbalance in college football forever. The top teams have always bought their way to the best players for a very long time. You still need a good coach to coach these players.

The only thing that has changed is transparency. I even knew a few NAIA players who were getting paid over 20 years ago.

Is the idea of marketing foreign to you?

If your question is whether or not using a spokesperson as a tool in marketing is effective, I don't know. But this isn't a unique concept.

The investment is that you know his name.
As customary, you misunderstand the question. What are athletes marketing for Ruiz?

Won’t this Ruiz guy run out of money at some point? He has to have close to $50MM for this current roster already.
Isn't there a 30 for 30 on some guy running a Ponzi scheme who paied a bunch of players and coaches under the table back in Miami's heydays? I can see that happeing too...the Feds go after any and all who received the ill gotten $$$...relentlessly.

What a travesty for college athletics. Once again change the Damm rule. No money until their second year on campus. Less effect on recruiting. Better for the *sugar daddy* as athlete as to prove his merits.
Who exactly would change the rule? The NIL is owned by the individual.

Last edited:

As customary, you misunderstand the question. What are athletes marketing for Ruiz?
Did you not read the last sentence? For Ruiz specifically? His name. He is his brand.

Again, the idea of marketing seems completely lost on you.

Won’t this Ruiz guy run out of money at some point? He has to have close to $50MM for this current roster already.
Most people in this tax bracket don't pay their fair share when it comes to taxes. He won't run out.

What a travesty for college athletics. Once again change the Damm rule. No money until their second year on campus. Less effect on recruiting. Better for the *sugar daddy* as athlete as to prove his merits.
Can’t control the money now.
I think best thing to do is reinstate the sit-out rule for transfers.

The top 1% pay 40% of all income tax. How much more help do you want from these people?
Incorrect statement by far Bob. Don't want to get into a hassle here as this isn't the right thread to do it. There are many sources regarding this. Below is only one source. The wealthy get their way in Minnesota and also nationwide. So yes, I want them to pay their fair share, and I want them to do more. It's not fair.
=====

The U.S. tax system is designed to be progressive, meaning that the wealthiest citizens pay a greater share of their income than the less fortunate. But a new ProPublica analysis of tax data on some of the nation's richest Americans comes to the conclusion that the richest 25 people in the U.S. have a "true tax rate" of almost nothing.

The study, published Tuesday, relies on a "vast trove" of IRS data that was given to the news service without "conditions or conclusions." ProPublica said that it would not disclose the source of the data, and added that it verified the information by comparing it with publicly available details, such as from court documents and financial disclosures, as well as vetting information with the people whose tax information was disclosed.

The findings arrive at a crucial time in the national discourse on wealth and the fairness of the U.S. tax system. Prior to the pandemic, the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act slashed tax rates for the wealthy and corporations, setting up a dynamic that effectively snowballed the nation's already widening income inequality. With the pandemic's outsized hit to low-income families — especially people of color and women — President Biden is calling for higher taxes on the rich to help shore up the fortunes of poor and middle-class families.

Who will be the Kirk Cousins and get his NIL fully guaranteed?

What You Need to Know - John Ruiz​

• Ruiz began his legal career in personal injury and class actions, quickly rising to take on major pharmaceutical companies.
  • His latest venture is an insurance recovery firm that combines software engineers and lawyers to identify incorrect insurance payments and recover money from primary payers.
  • Ruiz is taking his company public through a Special Purpose Acquisition Company that recently valued MSP Recovery at $33 billion.

I would love to see one of these 'agreements' in writing.

Lawyer Bob - correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is an agreement in writing and it's signed by both parties, then that is a legally enforceable contract, yes?

so, assuming that is true, if a booster promised Joe Stud $8-million and did not deliver, Joe Stud could sue the booster for breach of contract.

and once the word got out that Booster X at Directional State welshed on his deal, then Directional State ain't getting no 4* and 5* players.

of course, both sides have to honor their side of the agreement. the player has to perform whatever services he has agreed to in return for the payment.
I think per the rule the money cannot be tied to performance. Maybe that’s just the high schoolers.

Did you not read the last sentence? For Ruiz specifically? His name. He is his brand.

Again, the idea of marketing seems completely lost on you.
I see. So in your learned opinion, a highly successful lawyer can suddenly attract much bigger cases if he hires a teenage football player to front his image?

My goodness, you're a bright fellow.

I see. So in your learned opinion, a highly successful lawyer can suddenly attract much bigger cases if he hires a teenage football player to front his image?

My goodness, you're a bright fellow.
Just because the obvious seems to elude you, doesn't mean you should feel down on yourself.

It's also not about "much bigger cases". . . lol, it's about the VOLUME (look it up) of cases that he drives through his firm. You know those lawyers advertising on TV in the middle of the day? That's the kind of lawyer John Ruiz is on a large scale. He is a lawyer that made his money from everyone knowing his name. Even idiots like you know his name. He plastered his TV ads throughout Miami for the last two decades. LOL. He also owns a company also just went public two months ago, funny coincidence huh?

So yes, if you're THAT kind of lawyer, absolutely 100%, yes.

As far as them being teenage football players, again, this all seems over your head. It's because they are exceptionally famous and talented teenage football players. They are ones that get his name on front page of ESPN for two full days. Now you're going back to pretending to not understand marketing.

Because this seems to really confuse you. . .

(1) It's marketing;
(2) For lawyers like Ruiz - - marketing is their entire life line (they'd admit it). They take an enormous volume of cases and settle them all while taking a fraction of those settlements. The vast majority of the TV lawyers you see are the exact same way.

If you're confused again, just re-read (1) and (2). It's SUPER simple.

Just because the obvious seems to elude you, doesn't mean you should feel down on yourself.

It's also not about "much bigger cases". . . lol, it's about the VOLUME (look it up) of cases that he drives through his firm. You know those lawyers advertising on TV in the middle of the day? That's the kind of lawyer John Ruiz is on a large scale. He is a lawyer that made his money from everyone knowing his name. Even idiots like you know his name. He plastered his TV ads throughout Miami for the last two decades. LOL. He also owns a company also just went public two months ago, funny coincidence huh?

As far as them being teenage football players, again, this all seems over your head. It's because they are exceptionally famous and talented teenage football players. They are ones that get his name on front page of ESPN for two full days. Now you're going back to pretending to not understand marketing.

(1) It's marketing;
(2) For lawyers like Ruiz - - marketing is their entire life line (they'd admit it). They take an enormous volume of cases and settle them all while taking a fraction of those settlements. The vast majority of the TV lawyers you see are the exact same way.

My guess on all of this is that he doesn't really care that much if it drives business his way. He wants Miami to be really good. He sees a way that he can impact this... by promising top recruits big dollars to do "marketing" for his firm. Whether it drives any revenue is probably immaterial. After all, what are the chances that a high school aged kid is going to drive millions of dollars of additional revenue to this firm? Slim to none. It is just a legal/sanctioned way to pay athletes to come to a particular school. I would almost guarantee that the people in the NIL Collectives around the country are not doing ROI calculations on their spend. Unless you measure the return in W/Ls...

Agree 100% that it doesn't change much if anything, from the perspective of the Gophers.

We got mostly 3* before NIL, and with NIL we will still be getting mostly 3*. Coaching them up. Occasionally landing some exceptional talent that wants to stay close to home, or we got in early and he stayed loyal, or there was some other connection to the Gophers.

What does still smell rotten about this, is that it's Miami. Sorry, but Miami largely hasn't done jack s__t in their ACC days. 2017 was good year, but otherwise ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miami_Hurricanes_football_seasons

Yes, I know they were national champions and have done various great things in the past. 1983-2003 was a nice run. But that type of history is still not "good enough" to just buy yourself a national title, when you've been mediocre since.

Do I think that will happen? I guess we'll see. We all know high star prospects can be busts.

But if Miami has suddenly bootstrapped itself from being a top 35 type of program into a top 5, from nothing other than legally buying prospects ... that smells rotten.

If that comes to pass, I won't watch a single Miami game on TV. I'll change the channel. (Unless they're playing the Gophers).

My guess on all of this is that he doesn't really care that much if it drives business his way. He wants Miami to be really good. He sees a way that he can impact this... by promising top recruits big dollars to do "marketing" for his firm. Whether it drives any revenue is probably immaterial. After all, what are the chances that a high school aged kid is going to drive millions of dollars of additional revenue to this firm? Slim to none. It is just a legal/sanctioned way to pay athletes to come to a particular school. I would almost guarantee that the people in the NIL Collectives around the country are not doing ROI calculations on their spend. Unless you measure the return in W/Ls...
agreed. and clout amongst his fellow boosters ie "look what i did for our program". Now maybe that will drive some of them to do business with him long-term, but agree he probably doesn't care a ton about the dollars of it and will write off most of it as a business expense.

I agree with you on the NIL collectives, those are just boosters who want to buy good teams.

But I wouldn't confuse those collectives with all of the companies that are giving money to players. All of the social media NIL deals are based around the exact same concept as someone like Logan Paul. If you generate a ton of clicks/followers/etc., someone will pay you to wear/use products. Take Paige Bueckers. She has over 1 million instagram followers, that's more than most NBA players.

For this guy, I'm sure it's partially to buy a good team. It's also name recognition. I still remember Jack Prescott (It's all we do and we do it well) from being a kid with his TV commercials. That kind of lawyer is all about name recognition and volume. If something comes up, they want you to associate John Ruiz with personal injury, collecting on medicare, etc. It doesn't matter if we think he's a scumbag, he wants people to know his name. This guy just bought global recognition for his corporation and associated law firms. Are they slimeballs? Sure. But that's been his tactic for 20 years.

This is 100% correct, in my opinion

I agree with you on the NIL collectives, those are just boosters who want to buy good teams.

But I wouldn't confuse those collectives with all of the companies that are giving money to players. All of the social media NIL deals are based around the exact same concept as someone like Logan Paul. If you generate a ton of clicks/followers/etc., someone will pay you to wear/use products. Take Paige Bueckers. She has over 1 million instagram followers, that's more than most NBA players.

For this guy, I'm sure it's partially to buy a good team. It's also name recognition. I still remember Jack Prescott (It's all we do and we do it well) from being a kid with his TV commercials. That kind of lawyer is all about name recognition and volume. If something comes up, they want you to associate John Ruiz with personal injury, collecting on medicare, etc. It doesn't matter if we think he's a scumbag, he wants people to know his name. This guy just bought global recognition for his corporation and associated law firms. Are they slimeballs? Sure. But that's been his tactic for 20 years.
This is right, too. For some, small in my opinion, number of the deals.

Here's the thing, though. Which of the following drives more clicks/followers?

"Jaden Rashada commits to Miami and receives NIL deal from John Ruiz"
"Jaden Rashada commits to Miami and receives $9.5 Million Dollar NIL deal from John Ruiz"

My point is ... I had literally never heard of Jaden Rashada. (I obviously don't follow national recruiting that closely). The top headline, I don't even click on it. I go "OK, neat".

The bottom headline, I click on it. Because I'm going "WTF?!? This money is insane!!! Who is this guy???"

So, right now, I conjecture that a lot of the attention on this stuff is driven by: 1) the overall newness/novelty of it in the first place, but moreso 2) the extravagance that some of these deals are being marketed as!

In another thread, it was mentioned that a Gopher Volleyball player has an NIL deal that pays her $1,000 a month. In return, she has to post to Instagram 18 times in a month.

$12,000 a year for a college student, for doing something that will take her - what, an hour or two a month to accomplish. I'd take that deal.

the same post indicated that a Gopher football player has a "5-figure" deal - meaning at least $10,000, to sign autographs. again, I'd take that deal.

yeah, a few national recruits may get millions. but the majority of NIL deals are going to be smaller.

(1) It's marketing;

So you think the way to build volume in the legal business it helps to hire a teenage football player to be the public face of your business. Brilliant.

"What are the chances that a high school aged kid is going to drive millions of dollars of additional revenue to his firm? Slim to none."

NO NO NO. Not according to the esteemed Dr. of Jurismarketing. It's an absolute certainty.

agreed. and clout amongst his fellow boosters ie "look what i did for our program". Now maybe that will drive some of them to do business with him long-term, but agree he probably doesn't care a ton about the dollars of it and will write off most of it as a business expense.
That is the entire point. It drives no business to him and he knows it. He is a two bit egomaniac using NIL as an ego-feeding scam to completely subvert the intent of NIL.

Only a moron thinks this is an investment with any return.

So you think the way to build volume in the legal business it helps to hire a teenage football player to be the public face of your business. Brilliant.
Bob can certainly answer for himself, but I think what Ruiz believes is that being perceived as the big swinging D that returned “the U” (ick) to national prominence is what will raise his profile, feed his ego and, perhaps, generate business for his legal endeavors. He’s got the money, apparently, and doesn’t care about the ROI in the short run.

I think you nailed it. This is a ****-measurement contest writ large. Ego, vanity, competitive drive. Any name exposure and business driven his way is purely gravy on top. Some of these guys are in businesses where they might not want to attract too much attention. Just saying.

Top Bottom