4-star QB Jaden Rashada committed to Miami tonight, reportedly receives $9.5MM deal

(1) Curious even more now what the Texas NIL collective must have offered Arch Manning, if the bidding got that high for a lesser rated QB. (2) I believe that Miami is in Jaxon Howard’s final four. Wonder what Miami/Ruiz has on the table for him?

Won’t this Ruiz guy run out of money at some point? He has to have close to $50MM for this current roster already.

Won’t this Ruiz guy run out of money at some point? He has to have close to $50MM for this current roster already.
You’re assuming all the money being promised is real. The chances this dude gets $9.5MM is likely tiny. If he isn’t a superstar, whatever money he does receive will dry up quickly.

You’re assuming all the money being promised is real. The chances this dude gets $9.5MM is likely tiny. If he isn’t a superstar, whatever money he does receive will dry up quickly.
Good point. People dont become wealthy and stay wealthy by make investments blindly. Im sure its a contract that is heavily laced with hitting certain marks to make that.

It would be interesting to know what % of it is guaranteed

I have 0% belief these are real dollar amounts that are guaranteed but just yet another recruiting ploy. I’m sure it’s full of a ton of contingencies and requirements from the player. He’d be making the same as Trevor Lawrence is in the nfl prior to taking a snap. No chance

The 9.5M is almost certainly for a period of years and not per year. We won't get to those kinds of annual paychecks for college QBs for at least another 2-3 years.

College programs (or their "collectives") are going to have $100M+ player payrolls within the next 5-7 years. This is only the start.

I bet there is kick backs also if they make it to the NFL. Player pays the guy back in some way

(1) Curious even more now what the Texas NIL collective must have offered Arch Manning, if the bidding got that high for a lesser rated QB. (2) I believe that Miami is in Jaxon Howard’s final four. Wonder what Miami/Ruiz has on the table for him?
Don't know if this "surge" might include Howard, but I'm betting it does.

Correct.
And if it is guaranteed, these deals will change once there are a few busts.

I can envision a market to pay recruiting services for a higher ranking. Two or three-star talent gets rated four star, pockets NIL money, gives a cut to rating service and life goes on.

The way this is going....it's going to be a bad thing for college athletics. Especially if/when these big booster teams simply start buying the best players every single year. Wonder if marketability of college sports takes a hit when that happens. The competitive balance is already leaning in certain teams direction as it is.

This is really starting to suck, more and more...every day.

I'm now convinced that Howard is gone.

I suspect the agents and lawyers will end up the real “winners” all too often.
There was an article on espn I believe that agents are trying to take advantage of the current NIL market because they are getting a higher % of the deal compares to PRO deals. I believe agents are getting a 20% cut for NIL

What a travesty for college athletics. Once again change the Damm rule. No money until their second year on campus. Less effect on recruiting. Better for the *sugar daddy* as athlete as to prove his merits.

There was an article on espn I believe that agents are trying to take advantage of the current NIL market because they are getting a higher % of the deal compares to PRO deals. I believe agents are getting a 20% cut for NIL
The NIL deals require negotiation the PRO rookie deals do not (they are essentially slotted in to what they're going to pay). NIL deals are like any other endorsement deals - usually a higher percentage because those negotiations matter.

The players can absolutely choose to enter the NIL process without an agent or a lawyer.

What a travesty for college athletics. Once again change the Damm rule. No money until their second year on campus. Less effect on recruiting. Better for the *sugar daddy* as athlete as to prove his merits.
Less control for those types, it's worse for them. They'd rather get the control of the players even if it means that a lot of their investments don't pan out.

While in principle, that's a good idea, I'm not convinced that would change anything. Kids would be "promised" money starting in year 2, which would still affect their recruitment. At that point, they may or may not get that money, depending on roster needs, their performance, etc., which is really not much different than it is now.

I could be wrong, but I think these are not really "contracts", but more like promises. If the kid does get this written in a contract, you know these are worded in such a way to give the booster every way imaginable to not actually pay.

They can't just "change the damn rule". This stuff was taken to the supreme court and rightfully ruled in favor of the athletes. The NCAA can't do anything here, nor should they.

These massive deals like this will still be few and far between. The vast majority of players will get some NIL money but it won't be the stupid money that is getting thrown at some of the top guys. And those guys were already getting paid anyway, now we just hear about it in public as opposed to rumors in private.

These massive deals like this will still be few and far between. The vast majority of players will get some NIL money but it won't be the stupid money that is getting thrown at some of the top guys. And those guys were already getting paid anyway, now we just hear about it in public as opposed to rumors in private.

I'm a little concerned though if Bucky Irving got $250k to go be Oregon's 3rd string RB.

Good point. People dont become wealthy and stay wealthy by make investments blindly. Im sure its a contract that is heavily laced with hitting certain marks to make that.

It would be interesting to know what % of it is guaranteed
Where's the investment? What is this kid ever going to do to produce a return on investment? He hasn't played a down and his name and face are unknown to 99.5% of South Floridians.

His only claim to fame is that some dude gave him money as a payoff to play at The U.

The NIL deals require negotiation the PRO rookie deals do not (they are essentially slotted in to what they're going to pay). NIL deals are like any other endorsement deals - usually a higher percentage because those negotiations matter.

The players can absolutely choose to enter the NIL process without an agent or a lawyer.
How does a high school player choose to enter the NIL process? What are the mechanics?

Less control for those types, it's worse for them. They'd rather get the control of the players even if it means that a lot of their investments don't pan out.
Again I ask, where is the investment? How will it pay off? Does Ruiz sell used cars or mattresses? Something the kid can do TV spots for or stand in the parking lot greeting customers?

What You Need to Know - John Ruiz​

• Ruiz began his legal career in personal injury and class actions, quickly rising to take on major pharmaceutical companies.
  • His latest venture is an insurance recovery firm that combines software engineers and lawyers to identify incorrect insurance payments and recover money from primary payers.
  • Ruiz is taking his company public through a Special Purpose Acquisition Company that recently valued MSP Recovery at $33 billion.

I would love to see one of these 'agreements' in writing.

Lawyer Bob - correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is an agreement in writing and it's signed by both parties, then that is a legally enforceable contract, yes?

so, assuming that is true, if a booster promised Joe Stud $8-million and did not deliver, Joe Stud could sue the booster for breach of contract.

and once the word got out that Booster X at Directional State welshed on his deal, then Directional State ain't getting no 4* and 5* players.

of course, both sides have to honor their side of the agreement. the player has to perform whatever services he has agreed to in return for the payment.

Top Bottom