4-star QB Jaden Rashada committed to Miami tonight, reportedly receives $9.5MM deal

Bob can certainly answer for himself, but I think what Ruiz believes is that being perceived as the big swinging D that returned “the U” (ick) to national prominence is what will raise his profile, feed his ego and, perhaps, generate business for his legal endeavors. He’s got the money, apparently, and doesn’t care about the ROI in the short run.
I can agree with the ego part but not much else. The rest of what you suggest assumes the business community or the population of Miami or South Florida gives a rat's ass on Tuesday about Canes football. I doubt that.

Boosters have run the show behind the scenes for decades in college football. It's just become more public now with the NIL. Guys like Boone Pickens, B. Wayne Hughes (prior to his passing), Stephen Ross, Terry Pegula and Phil Knight have given money ranging from $100's of millions to $1+ billion to their respective schools, albeit large chunks of money have gone to the academic side as well.

We will obviously be hearing a lot more of these types of deals and I don't blame any player for chasing the money, especially given the fact that the average NFL career lasts 3.5 years.

I can agree with the ego part but not much else. The rest of what you suggest assumes the business community or the population of Miami or South Florida gives a rat's ass on Tuesday about Canes football. I doubt that.
depends. you land one other "big fish" booster that keeps you on retainer and you can pay for a whole hell of a lot of these contracts. would imagine that's what he's hoping his dick measuring contest will accomplish.

otherwise he just doesn't care, which is just as plausible at this point

The premise doesn't have to be correct for it to be part of his motivation. Ruiz seems to believe that being seen as the guy who brings back Miami football to national championship status will create a lot of buzz and inflate his standing in the eyes of the community. He would probably also suggest that, if the 'Canes do that, a lot more people will be talking about 'Canes football on Tuesdays than are doing so now. Maybe he's right, maybe you are, but whatever risk he's taking probably shouldn't be of much concern to you since it doesn't seem to bother him.

Or, it could be as simple as:

I have a butt load of money.
I love Miami football.
I'm going to use some of my money to help Miami get better players.

boosters have always supported college FB programs. NIL simply provides a new avenue for boosters to express that support.

hey, it's his money.

some rich people go for mansions, cars and trophy wives.
he goes for Miami football.

The premise doesn't have to be correct for it to be part of his motivation. Ruiz seems to believe that being seen as the guy who brings back Miami football to national championship status will create a lot of buzz and inflate his standing in the eyes of the community. He would probably also suggest that, if the 'Canes do that, a lot more people will be talking about 'Canes football on Tuesdays than are doing so now. Maybe he's right, maybe you are, but whatever risk he's taking probably shouldn't be of much concern to you since it doesn't seem to bother him.
It's only a concern to me because it's a tawdry perversion of the intent of NIL and bad for college football. It likely will actually hurt Miami U football because of the envy and disruption it will create on the squad.

That would be my hope.

Or, it could be as simple as:

I have a butt load of money.
I love Miami football.
I'm going to use some of my money to help Miami get better players.

boosters have always supported college FB programs. NIL simply provides a new avenue for boosters to express that support.

hey, it's his money.

some rich people go for mansions, cars and trophy wives.
he goes for Miami football.
All fine except that NIL is not meant for direct purchase of players with no reciprocal benefit other than attending the buyer's designated school.

Top Bottom