4 possessions.

No…here is what I was initially responding to...

So... my comment was more saying that heck, even if we turned the ball over in that 9 seconds... we would have an overwhelming size advantage that we would not likely see the rest of the year (with Ihnen, Payne, and Garcia on the floor), plus in all reality the Gophers would immediately foul...so CBJ's comment that he was worried about Hawkins getting on switched on defense is insane in reality.
Ben's comment was addressing Hawkins sitting out the last 7 minutes of the game or what ever it was...not just the end of the game.

Ben's comment was addressing Hawkins sitting out the last 7 minutes of the game or what ever it was...not just the end of the game.
Either way, we still had Payne, Garcia, Ihnen on the floor for many of those minutes and that will be one of the smaller teams we play this year.. thus most likely our biggest size advantage this year.

Either way, we still had Payne, Garcia, Ihnen on the floor for many of those minutes and that will be one of the smaller teams we play this year.. thus most likely our biggest size advantage this year.
No matter what...Ben's answer is dumb! It buries Hawkins....what the heck, I don't get to play if the other team isn't Macalester? I'm too short?

So... my comment was more saying that heck, even if we turned the ball over in that 9 seconds... we would have an overwhelming size advantage that we would not likely see the rest of the year (with Ihnen, Payne, and Garcia on the floor), plus in all reality the Gophers would immediately foul...so CBJ's comment that he was worried about Hawkins getting on switched on defense is insane in reality.
Now, I’m not sure who was in for Missouri at the time, but they will be one of the tallest teams we’ll play all year.

In B10 only Purdue is as tall as them. I haven’t checked which team is taller though.

Bottom line: there is no excuse for losing that game once you are 20 pts up with 11 minutes to go. That’s a terrible job of coaching. Let’s see if he learns from this. This was a brutal loss for the player’s psyche. How do they get confident going forward that the coach will help pull them through the tough games? Part of winning is believing you will win. Last night the coach got afraid to lose.

Bottom line: there is no excuse for losing that game once you are 20 pts up with 11 minutes to go. That’s a terrible job of coaching. Let’s see if he learns from this. This was a brutal loss for the player’s psyche. How do they get confident going forward that the coach will help pull them through the tough games? Part of winning is believing you will win. Last night the coach got afraid to lose.
Completely ignoring the players failures is dumb. Team overall pissed down their legs on offense and defense.

Completely ignoring the players failures is dumb. Team overall pissed down their legs on offense and defense.
Who is responsible for how the players perform? You are suggesting it is the players. The players performed pretty well the first 30 minutes of the game. Then the coach lassooed them and said slow down...not so fast there my friends. Slow down, drain the shot clock for these last 10 minutes. Ignoring the coaching is not possible.

Who is responsible for how the players perform? You are suggesting it is the players. The players performed pretty well the first 30 minutes of the game. Then the coach lassooed them and said slow down...not so fast there my friends. Slow down, drain the shot clock for these last 10 minutes. Ignoring the coaching is not possible.
Overall team includes the coach. Coach isn't making seniors get 10 second calls for example.

Overall team includes the coach. Coach isn't making seniors get 10 second calls for example.
Coach has a front court player bringing the ball up...not something Garcia regularly does but he was put in that position. If you have designated ball handlers...they are drilled to go get the ball...it's their responsibility. Our coach went with whoever wants to....you bring it up. It was probably 5 different guys walking it up the last 10 minutes.
Obviously the players are accountable but the coach in my opinion has the greater responsibility for how players perform. He's the one defining their roles. Telling them what he wants from them. How he wants them to play.
I disagree the players pissed down their legs....they were put in a very uncomfortable position by the coach. Sure the players made mistakes but they were following instructions that doomed them.

Coach has a front court player bringing the ball up...not something Garcia regularly does but he was put in that position. If you have designated ball handlers...they are drilled to go get the ball...it's their responsibility. Our coach went with whoever wants to....you bring it up. It was probably 5 different guys walking it up the last 10 minutes.
Obviously the players are accountable but the coach in my opinion has the greater responsibility for how players perform. He's the one defining their roles. Telling them what he wants from them. How he wants them to play.
I disagree the players pissed down their legs....they were put in a very uncomfortable position by the coach. Sure the players made mistakes but they were following instructions that doomed them.
I'm not sure how anyone could watch that game and come to a different conclusion unless they've wanted the coach fired for 2.5 years but nonetheless.

Same thing Bob Motzko did in the championship game. And the same thing a Vikings dose on a weekly basis. The Timberwolves just did that against Atlanta, put your foot on their throat and the end the damn game don’t dick around. I see it way too much in all of Minnesota Sports and it gets old. They have a pretty good team. They are fun to watch. They do need to play for 40 minutes.

Now, I’m not sure who was in for Missouri at the time, but they will be one of the tallest teams we’ll play all year.

In B10 only Purdue is as tall as them. I haven’t checked which team is taller though.
Their guys over 6’9” played a combined ~19 minutes of a total of 80…I would think they will not be anywhere near the tallest team we play. They may have a tall roster but they didn’t really play.

Edit: not 80- 200 total minutes in the game

Last edited:

I'm not sure how anyone could watch that game and come to a different conclusion unless they've wanted the coach fired for 2.5 years but nonetheless.
Johnny, we disagree but I do agree with Rock below. Last night was the same as Motzko trying to stall out the last period of the Hockey National Championship. Do you blame the hockey players for losing too?

Johnny, we disagree but I do agree with Rock below. Last night was the same as Motzko trying to stall out the last period of the Hockey National Championship. Do you blame the hockey players for losing too?
Different game so it's hard to compare. But of course I do. Once the other team tied it up in the championship the game was even. And the players let up an easy goal straight away in overtime.

They practice for situations like the last 4 minutes and the players AND coaches pissed down their legs yesterday.

Johnny- I have been pretty pro Ben. I like him. I just think that what happened is on the coach. He doesn't play, he doesn't shoot the baskets or defend, but it was the strategy employed that put guys who played great up until 10 minutes to go, into a "play not to lose posture". It was darned near mathematically impossible to lose that game last night with 10 minutes to go. 31-9 in 10 minutes?

The good news is that he now has put together a roster that is good enough to beat up on a power 5 rival for 30 minutes.

Johnny- I have been pretty pro Ben. I like him. I just think that what happened is on the coach. He doesn't play, he doesn't shoot the baskets or defend, but it was the strategy employed that put guys who played great up until 10 minutes to go, into a "play not to lose posture". It was darned near mathematically impossible to lose that game last night with 10 minutes to go. 31-9 in 10 minutes?

The good news is that he now has put together a roster that is good enough to beat up on a power 5 rival for 30 minutes.
Cbj and his poor choices at the end of the game is baffling. Putting the ball in the hands of a fr in his second game, and dribbling out the clock?

Did he forget Garcia, PP? There are no excuses for that coaching malpractice. Except for Johnny boy.

Cbj and his poor choices at the end of the game is baffling. Putting the ball in the hands of a fr in his second game, and dribbling out the clock?

Did he forget Garcia, PP? There are no excuses for that coaching malpractice. Except for Johnny boy.
Nobody is talking about how Garcia was the person who threw the ball in on the last possession. That limits his ability to be impactful on the last play. By the time he is down the court, Missouri only had to guard him for about 4 seconds. He is the best player and needs to be down at the end from the start. Get him open. Make Missouri guard him for the entire possession. Even if Garcia does not score, he would have been a focal point for Mizzou and can lead to a mistake and opening for another player. Or, have him set a ball screen.

The final 2 possessions especially were coaching malpractice at the highest level.

the first one was literally in front of our bench too so no excuse there

and the second was after he called time out and drew up the damn play.

Incredible. Actually in a way, its rather impressive Ben managed to get a high school diploma with that level of thinking.

The last play was fine. The one before it was horrible.

On the last play, with nine seconds, we had one guy who could be trusted to bring the ball up the court and get a shot. Christie.

He's our best shooter, as proved over a couple of months before the season. With his size and athleticism, he can create the shot. He did. He got a good look, squared up and released a pretty shot. It didn't go in. You can bet over the course of his career he will make a lot more last shots than he will miss.

With the ball handling and passing issues in the last nine minutes it made no sense to make multiple passes looking for a shot in nine seconds. Ben called the best play available in the time remaining. He did everything right but missed.

Whose opinions on Gopher basketball have been more accurate the last 2.5 years, their opinions or yours? We both know the answer to that one.

Note to Coach Johnson:

When next you find yourself with a large lead evaporating with the speed of the dollar and cents meter on a gas pump, call time out at an appropriate moment. Last night that would have been at the six minute mark.

Instruct the players on the floor to commence the Dawson Garcia offense for the remainder of the game. The Garcia offense consists of getting the ball to Dawson somewhere around the lane EVERY possession, every time down the floor.

Unless he is triple teamed in the lane and needs to pass it out, he works for a shot every possession. It is not too important if he scores. If he does a couple of times, that's a nice bonus.

The real objective is to get him fouled as many times as possible muscling up shots. In six minutes he can get 8 to 12 free throws. This is good for two reasons. He shoots nearly 90 percent from the line and, as important, that racing meter on the gas pump stops. Rather than flying down the floor, scoring in five seconds, then waiting for the next turnover to do it again, your opponent will be standing around watching Garcia make free throws. That really upsets their fast tempo and momentum.

Another thought, play Payne the last five minutes. He is your best offensive rebounder around the basket. On those occassions where Dawson shoots and misses and doesn't draw the foul you have Payne in position for a put back or to rebound and throw the ball out to start over.

The Dawson Garcia offense, if employed last night, would have put us over 80 points with a comfortable win. It would have wiped out a few of their buckets coming off wild and crazy turnovers. All your doing is having two guards handle the ball while two guys set screens for Garcia. You make the safe entry pass when he is in position. That would have eliminated most of the turnovers, the exception being Garcia's own failure to remember there is a ten second clock in college basketball.

When guys are falling apart with crazy passes and dumb crashes into the lane, simplify everything with the Garcia offense. It will work for a few minutes and get you over the hump.

Coach was telling them to slow down to get set in the half court offense and burn about 15 seconds off the shot clock prior to even starting an offensive set.
They completely abandoned the energy and what built the lead with 11 minutes yet to play.

He benched him because he was throwing the ball away. Hawkins has to learn how to play smart and win along with everyone else.

Top Bottom