4 possessions.

No matter what...Ben's answer is dumb! It buries Hawkins....what the heck, I don't get to play if the other team isn't Macalester? I'm too short?
That wasn't the reason he benched him.

You realize what fall ball is? Coaches basically off the street and street ball.
Fully aware. Also able to see that the shortest, smallest, turnover prone guard who looks like the 5th to 9th best player on the court every game has our coaches attention.

He benched him because he was throwing the ball away. Hawkins has to learn how to play smart and win along with everyone else.
I understand that he put him on the pine. But CBJ needs to understand that winning is more important that a teaching the kid a lesson…especially when that lesson can be taught in other ways ; and in all reality this was almost a must win game. At the end of the day, Hawkins showed that he was the only ballhandler who could create his own shot or others with a drive (sure was carrington and wasn’t Christie to that point yet)…so with the game on the line you take him off the line as you need him to hopefully create some offense when you need it most…ideally with action towards the hoop.

I understand that he put him on the pine. But CBJ needs to understand that winning is more important that a teaching the kid a lesson…especially when that lesson can be taught in other ways ; and in all reality this was almost a must win game. At the end of the day, Hawkins showed that he was the only ballhandler who could create his own shot or others with a drive (sure was carrington and wasn’t Christie to that point yet)…so with the game on the line you take him off the line as you need him to hopefully create some offense when you need it most…ideally with action towards the hoop.
He didn't play Hawkins because he didn't trust him not to turn the ball over. I don't think it was totally to teach him a lesson. Like you, I don't agree with Johnson on that. He should have benched him a couple of minutes at most and talked to him, then gotten him in the game.

I disagree Hawkins is our only ball handler who can create his own shot. Actually, the opposite is true. He can't create his own shot other than driving the lane. Then his success derives from dishing an assist.

Christie, at 6"6 and athletic, is the only current Gopher who can handle the ball and create his own shot. That is why he correctly was assigned to take the final shot.

He didn't play Hawkins because he didn't trust him not to turn the ball over. I don't think it was totally to teach him a lesson. Like you, I don't agree with Johnson on that. He should have benched him a couple of minutes at most and talked to him, then gotten him in the game.
correct
I disagree Hawkins is our only ball handler who can create his own shot. Actually, the opposite is true. He can't create his own shot other than driving the lane. Then his success derives from dishing an assist.

Christie, at 6"6 and athletic, is the only current Gopher who can handle the ball and create his own shot. That is why he correctly was assigned to take the final shot.
You don't put a freshman in that spot this early in the year. Hawkins CAN get his own shot, Garcia can, Ihnen can, Mitchell can...but another idea is not getting into that spot in the first place by coaching with both hands around your own throat for the last 7 minutes.

I like Ben, but we have to just call a spade a spade here. He coached like a rookie in the last 7 -8 minutes and cost his team the game. Honestly, I have never seen a game more decided by coaching. If I am the other coach I am thinking - please, please sit Hawkins, JOJ and Payne for the last 4-5 minutes, three of Minnesota's most athletic and aggressive players.

correct

You don't put a freshman in that spot this early in the year. Hawkins CAN get his own shot, Garcia can, Ihnen can, Mitchell can...but another idea is not getting into that spot in the first place by coaching with both hands around your own throat for the last 7 minutes.

I like Ben, but we have to just call a spade a spade here. He coached like a rookie in the last 7 -8 minutes and cost his team the game. Honestly, I have never seen a game more decided by coaching. If I am the other coach I am thinking - please, please sit Hawkins, JOJ and Payne for the last 4-5 minutes, three of Minnesota's most athletic and aggressive players.
Couldn’t agree more that Hawk, Payne, and JOJ should have been on the floor during the frantic Mizzu run. But I still believe Christie has the best chance to get the good shot. In fact, he proved it by doing just that. He is not a normal freshman.

See my earlier post describing how Garcia should have gotten the ball on every possession the last six minutes to draw fouls and win the game from the line. That would also have killed Mizzu’s pace and momentum, along with stopping our panic turnovers.

correct

Also agree Ben choked. Everyone on the team, including coaches, has to learn to win.

Top Bottom