25 year season ticket holder

Both Michigan and Michigan State have been aided by the Lions ability to win only 1 playoff game in what is approaching 7 decades now I believe.

Plus more local talent to draw from.
What was it...10 years ago now?...I had just started to not care about the NFL and I was secretly hoping the Vikings were going to bolt for LA. Then Gopher football would be the only football in town and it would return to what it was before the NFL gave this state a football team. Or something like that...at least that's how the dream played out in my head.

What was it...10 years ago now?...I had just started to not care about the NFL and I was secretly hoping the Vikings were going to bolt for LA. Then Gopher football would be the only football in town and it would return to what it was before the NFL gave this state a football team. Or something like that...at least that's how the dream played out in my head.

Bolded seems counterintuitive for someone that goes by the moniker who is the Vikings All Time leading scorer. Amazing it's not even close, Super Toe Freddie (1365) is more than double #2 Cris Carter (670). Highest active Viking is Adam Thielen, tied for #17 at 292.

Feels like it would be like me wishing that The Andy Griffith Show was cancelled forever from syndication, so Happy Days could get more airtime.

If the Vikings left ... we might pick up some more fans, but not a ton. And then what else changes?

Say our average attendance goes from 35-40k, up to 55k sold out.

And? Still have to get the right players here.

Nebraska sells out 80k every game and doesn't win shit.

$100,000 more. Not sure the relevance.

19. Mike Zimmer, $4 million

The eighth-year Minnesota Vikings head coach, Zimmer has been solid yet unspectacular at the helm. He’s never won fewer than seven games, but the Vikings only made the playoffs three times in his first seven years. Minnesota is perennial on the playoff bubble, which makes No. 19 a fitting place to be on the list.

This is from October 14. 2021.

Fleck's salary is just a tad more than $100k higher than Zim

I was only pointing out that our young coach is doing quite well and as someone else pointed out, he 'might' be working harder than Zim? I'm not sure where that comes from as Zim I think lives for Football and is at the facility all the time (I think I've read he sleeps there frequently), Fleck has a wife and young kids. Again, what do I know though..

I have to say that I somewhat share the sentiments of this thread. The Illinois game was awful, literally hard to watch. I didn't even watch the Iowa game as that outcome was inevitable. I need this team to give me a reason to get fired up again about Gopher football.

19. Mike Zimmer, $4 million

The eighth-year Minnesota Vikings head coach, Zimmer has been solid yet unspectacular at the helm. He’s never won fewer than seven games, but the Vikings only made the playoffs three times in his first seven years. Minnesota is perennial on the playoff bubble, which makes No. 19 a fitting place to be on the list.

This is from October 14. 2021.

Fleck's salary is just a tad more than $100k higher than Zim

I was only pointing out that our young coach is doing quite well and as someone else pointed out, he 'might' be working harder than Zim? I'm not sure where that comes from as Zim I think lives for Football and is at the facility all the time (I think I've read he sleeps there frequently), Fleck has a wife and young kids. Again, what do I know though..

If the Vikings left ... we might pick up some more fans, but not a ton. And then what else changes?

Say our average attendance goes from 35-40k, up to 55k sold out.

And? Still have to get the right players here.

Nebraska sells out 80k every game and doesn't win shit.
All that may be true, but at least we wouldn’t have to listen to Paul Allen.

This is correct. I am a giant fan.....and I probably care way too much about the team.....but I became less emotionally involved quite a few years back. During the game? Yes....the emotions run a little more wild. But once the game is over.....especially in the case of a super disappointing loss....I move on. No reason to let the loss put me in a really bad mood. Won't change the result.

If anything......I look for the silver lining. There is a fundamental issue with the coaching that is absolutely fixable. Just have to hope that Fleck is willing to admit that the conservative nature of this team is a detriment to taking the next step. Head scratching losses are going to continue to be a common theme if the staff's gameplans revolve around doing the absolute minimum in order to win a game. If the gameplans are SO vanilla.....that inferior teams are allowed to hang around with an opportunity to take the lead an win at the end. If....even in games that we are trailing in....the offense runs 25-30 seconds off the play clock....limiting our opportunities to come back.

I'm betting that Fleck has people (hopefully Coyle at the very least) in his ear voicing the same concerns as we are. When the team squanders not one....but three very winnable (and in the case of BG and Illinois....expected wins) games because of a flawed coaching philosophy....something has got to change.
He didn't learn or change anything after the 2019 season in which we should have lost 3 non-conf. games except for some exceptional playmaking at the end of those games. What makes you think he's going to change now.
He talks about being Elite, but elite teams/coaches don't have a philosophy of just doing enough to get by.

He didn't learn or change anything after the 2019 season in which we should have lost 3 non-conf. games except for some exceptional playmaking at the end of those games. What makes you think he's going to change now.
He talks about being Elite, but elite teams/coaches don't have a philosophy of just doing enough to get by.
100% spot-on.
This year has me convinced he is not the guy. Hope he proves me wrong. But you can’t lose to a team like Bowling Green and you have to take a game against Iowa where you have more talent and are dominating. The fact we have beaten WI and IA once says it all.

In sum, this season has been very disappointing...like VERY much so. Glad to make a bowl game, but it could've been much better. Not leaving, but sad and checking out emotionally for a bit.
I won't feel like this, unless they get blown out by Wisc. Like a repeat of the 2019 game or worse.

If it's a competitive game, or hopefully a win, then no way. 8-4 regular season with Axe. Say Iowa gets to take the L in Indy, fine who cares. Decent bowl game, win that.

9-4 overall, bowl win, Axe. Gimme that

I'm betting that Fleck has people (hopefully Coyle at the very least) in his ear voicing the same concerns as we are.
You had a great post.

But I just want to address this one piece.

Do you really want a coach that is so amendable to bend to the will of his AD and what the fans think, so easily?

I think usually the thing you want from the AD is "just let the coach do his thing".

Um, chances are the second place in the East goes to the Rose Bowl, assuming OSU is in the playoffs! I doubt wi receives a NY6 invite!
Yeah, very easily that Mich and Mich State end up 10-2, each losing to Ohio St, and then Mich to Mich St and Mich St with the weird loss to Purdue.

Penn St down, IU miles away from expectations. Rutgers and Mary are of course what they are.

West on the other hand beats each other up.

Speaking of high expectations and not meeting them .... what about IU fans this year???

100% spot-on.
This year has me convinced he is not the guy. Hope he proves me wrong. But you can’t lose to a team like Bowling Green and you have to take a game against Iowa where you have more talent and are dominating. The fact we have beaten WI and IA once says it all.
The fact that they dominated Iowa for the first time in 7 years and second time in 15 years is proof to you he isn’t the guy?

Odd take to me.

You had a great post.

But I just want to address this one piece.

Do you really want a coach that is so amendable to bend to the will of his AD and what the fans think, so easily?

I think usually the thing you want from the AD is "just let the coach do his thing".

I want a coach that is ready and willing to adapt to what works.

We walked out of the Illinois game last week in the 3rd Q. Let me put this into a perspective before you react. I've sat through some poor performances and terrible seasons over the 25 years. I've seen it all...I mean I've really seen some poor seasons...but what I saw on the field last week vs Illinois was pervasive to what I saw today. There is something functionally wrong within this program and/or perhaps the entire Athletic Department. Seriously. The coaching staff needs to be evaluated. I'll give this years Football staff an 'F'. Even Jeff Horton's team had some fire and were fun to watch. PJ needs to get his sh*t together....he's not all that special. 2019 was an aberration.

This team has some talent...but the coaching doesn't seem to mesh with the talent. The current QB is awful. Just plain and simple to see. I'm sorry...I'm just being honest. Loosing to Iowa again just highlights what is wrong. Bench him. Gophers will loose to both Indiana and Wis.

Long Story short..I'm tired and no long care..today was our last hooray. I'll probably will spend my money somewhere else other than Gopher Football season tickets. I've seen enough. DONE.
So you won’t be at the game next Saturday, right?

They (the family) don't need to do that. The team comes to them. Minimum once a year, when they play USC or UCLA. Or Cal or Stanford, are more manageable drives.

Similar when Colorado was in the Big XII. Now very much granted: they weren't in the Big XII back in the very early 90's, it was the Big 8 with no Texas schools. But I wouldn't be surprised if they scheduled Texas teams every year in non-conf. Would have to check.

Minnesota doesn't go down to play SEC schools or Texas schools every year.

It's not nearly like you're making it out. Would have to look at the actual climate information, but certainly in the winter the temps are not nearly as bad as here. Would say it's more about how brutal it is in the winter (off-season) that is a deterrent. Does it even snow in Seattle or Eugene?

Depending where in LA, there are plenty of Black people, but they aren't the dominant minority, like in the South, unless you're in very specific parts (Compton, etc.)

Personally, I don't think Air Raid is the answer. It wasn't for Texas Tech and WSU. Had a couple great seasons, but I think there's a reason the Iowa's, Wisconsin's, Ohio State's, Alabama's etc. of the college football world run a pro-style base scheme. Doesn't mean they can't tune it for the personnel that season, running more or passing more.
As soon as I typed one of the posts noted above, I knew the counterpoint would be that the Oregon and Washington PAC12 schools visit LA,, and the Bay area every year so that counts for something. I agree that is a valid point, within reason, my point on the geographic isolation of WA, Oregon, (and Colorado) still has some validity

Furthermore, Minnesota visits Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Chicago,, and other fertile recruiting grounds each year as well, and those areas are as close or much closer to Minnesota as LA is to Seattle(or Portland or Boulder)

Lastly, the Air Raid is not the perfect system, something better than a so called "pro" system as impled that I suggested. My weather based assertion was only that you can run it in the Big Ten just as easily as you can run it in Pullman Washington, Ames Iowa, or Lubbock TX. It gets windy and raw in all those places, just like it does in the Big Ten. I like Coach Leach a lot, not that sure about the actual system, but if he is running it I am OK with it.

Weather in Seattle and Portland is miserable in the winter, extremly wet, windy and dark. I'd take a 20 degree sunny day for three months over that crap every day. In full disclosure, I'd take Boulder/ Denver weather, year round over most other places other than San Diego or South Florida.

Most of the original Big Ten schools deal with that same off season winter weather when it comes to recruiting as does Minnesota.

Last edited:

We walked out of the Illinois game last week in the 3rd Q. Let me put this into a perspective before you react. I've sat through some poor performances and terrible seasons over the 25 years. I've seen it all...I mean I've really seen some poor seasons...but what I saw on the field last week vs Illinois was pervasive to what I saw today. There is something functionally wrong within this program and/or perhaps the entire Athletic Department. Seriously. The coaching staff needs to be evaluated. I'll give this years Football staff an 'F'. Even Jeff Horton's team had some fire and were fun to watch. PJ needs to get his sh*t together....he's not all that special. 2019 was an aberration.

This team has some talent...but the coaching doesn't seem to mesh with the talent. The current QB is awful. Just plain and simple to see. I'm sorry...I'm just being honest. Loosing to Iowa again just highlights what is wrong. Bench him. Gophers will loose to both Indiana and Wis.

Long Story short..I'm tired and no long care..today was our last hooray. I'll probably will spend my money somewhere else other than Gopher Football season tickets. I've seen enough. DONE.
Can you let me know where your seats are? Section, Row, Seat numbers? I'm looking to upgrade from my present seats. No. Wait. I'll never give up my seats.

8-4 and beat Wisconsin...worst season in the modern era!!

Last edited:

He said he would be here enjoying the win...I'm SHOCKED he isn't!
I heard Harley went to the game but left at halftime frustrated that the Gophers hadn't scored a single TD and were trailing 10-6.

He beat the traffic.

Top Bottom