25 year season ticket holder

Season ticket holder since 1984. I think when Guete got promoted in 85 after Holtz left the U wanted to hire Bobby Ross. However it wasn’t popular with the players so Guete was the hire. Maybe somebody can chime in on it. I could be completely wrong!
I think that may be true. I know a guy who was involved in the program those years, so I might ask him next time I see him. As if they should let the players choose the coach...
I'd certainly be interested to hear from someone who was inside the program at that time. The way I have heard it told is that the players liked Gutey and felt that he would try to build on the foundation laid by Holtz before he bolted to South Bend. It wasn't that they disliked Ross, more that they wanted to try to maintain the momentum from the '85 season and bowl win over Clemson.

Season ticket holder since 1984. I think when Guete got promoted in 85 after Holtz left the U wanted to hire Bobby Ross. However it wasn’t popular with the players so Guete was the hire. Maybe somebody can chime in on it. I could be completely wrong!
That’s the story I heard.
By the way Georgia tech won a split national title under Bobby ross

we would’ve taken a top 3 finish in the big ten in the 90s

I'd certainly be interested to hear from someone who was inside the program at that time. The way I have heard it told is that the players liked Gutey and felt that he would try to build on the foundation laid by Holtz before he bolted to South Bend. It wasn't that they disliked Ross, more that they wanted to try to maintain the momentum from the '85 season and bowl win over Clemson.
What happened is that AD Paul Giel wanted the Maryland coach or the Air Force coach (Fisher DeBerry, who was 11-1 that year). The Maryland coach, Bobby Ross, was interested and visited campus. The Air Force coach was also interested but wouldn't interview until the end of the season. But Giel was being undercut by a sports administrator who supported players who wanted Gutey, "the teams' choice" and "the people's choice." The administrator was black and in sympathy with many black players who wanted Gutekunst - and local media gave support. Giel was being both cut and undercut by a bureaucrat and when Ross visited the campus he felt the hostility and said "There is something wrong here." He went from Maryland to GA Tech where in 1990 he went 11-0-1, was co-national champion (coaches' poll) and was the national coach of the year. Almost everyone felt Gutey was a big come-down from Holtz, but Gutey got seven seasons to end up .441. Holtz had talked up Minnesota to his assistant, Barry Alvarez, as a place a coach good really win. If Gutey had been fired in '90 instead of '91, Alvarez might have done his 30-year thing here rather than at Wisconsin.

Last edited:

What happened is that AD Paul Giel wanted the Maryland coach or the Air Force coach (Fisher DeBerry, who was 11-1 that year). The Maryland coach, Bobby Ross, was interested and visited campus. The Air Force coach was also interested but wouldn't interview until the end of the season. But Giel was being undercut by a sports administrator who supported players who wanted Gutey, "the teams' choice" and "the people's choice." The administrator was black and in sympathy with many black players who wanted Gutekunst - and local media gave support. Giel was being both cut and undercut by a bureaucrat and when Ross visited the campus he felt the hostility and said "There is something wrong here." He went from Maryland to GA Tech where in 1990 he went 11-0-1, was co-national champion (coaches' poll) and was the national coach of the year. Almost everyone felt Gutey was a big come-down from Holtz, but Gutey got six seasons to end up .441. Holtz had talked up Minnesota to his assistant, Barry Alvarez, as a place a coach good really win. If Gutey had been fired in '90 instead of '91, Alvarez might have done his 30-year thing here rather than at Wisconsin.
Gutey had three 6-5 seasons ('87, '89 & '90), playing generally pretty rugged non-conf games but still shut out of Bowl bids.

In today's world it would be seen in a more favorable light, how much is certainly debatable. Those teams under the current standards would have gotten bowl invites. Somewhere.

Gutey had three 6-5 seasons ('87, '89 & '90), playing generally pretty rugged non-conf games but still shut out of Bowl bids.

In today's world it would be seen in a more favorable light, how much is certainly debatable. Those teams under the current standards would have gotten bowl invites. Somewhere.
Right, but he was still below .500 over 7 seasons and in energy and enthusiasm he was dull compared to Holtz. His final season was 2-9. He was never a head coach again, despite being still in his forties.

As far as the diff between MN, IA and WI, I think my biggest take is that under Ferentz, IA established an identity. Under Alvarez, WI established an identity. And they stuck to it.

And then, they went out and recruited players who fit their identity. That is how you sustain a program.

With the Gophers, it's like they feel the need to re-invent themselves every time they change coaches. which changes the recruiting strategy.

If Fleck can stick around for 10+ years, maybe MN can accomplish something similar. But - with the proviso that the identity has to be attractive to recruits.

Right, but he was still below .500 over 7 seasons and in energy and enthusiasm he was dull compared to Holtz. His final season was 2-9. He was never a head coach again, despite being still in his forties.
I don't disagree that when he went 2-9 it was time to go. Just saying his tenure was not a disaster. When stacking up his resume against his successor, Gutey was way better (low bar). Better than Brewster as well. He also brought the Jug home once, beat Iowa a couple of times, and went 4-2 against Wisconsin before they were able to get rolling.

Getting to a few minor Bowls would have at least helped with the "energy and enthusiasm" that you reference. No idea how much though.

The most similar markets to the Twin Cities are probably Denver and Seattle, but Seattle doesn't currently have an NBA team. (though one could argue that we don't either.)
What about Detroit? If you're counting Boulder, you should count Ann Arbor. It's a little further out, but not much, and is actually closer to DTW airport than Boulder is to DIA.

Michigan has none of the issues discussed here.

What about Detroit? If you're counting Boulder, you should count Ann Arbor. It's a little further out, but not much, and is actually closer to DTW airport than Boulder is to DIA.

Both Michigan and Michigan State have been aided by the Lions ability to win only 1 playoff game in what is approaching 7 decades now I believe.

Plus more local talent to draw from.

I disagree on Miami, it was pretty much a nothing program until Howard S. got it going back in the early 80s, then Jimmy Johnson, and Dennis Erickson turned it up a few notches. Larry Coker teased a couple more great seasons out of the fumes, then they got rid of him. That was pretty much the end of Miami Football being a "blue blood" 19 years ago.

Miami has not been much of anything since 2002 and they draw as badly as any so called P5 team, way worse than Minnesota, pro town or not. They have no real fan base, other than front runners and a St. Thomas like alumni base.

As nice is Boulder is, Colorado probably was cheating in the small window of greatness they had, and there is a reason, Washington, as far from any real hotbed of talent as Minnesota is, suddenly got going in the 90s as well, then regressed. My guess is they both were all out pushing the limits of the NCAA rules and skating by enough to win for a while. (standard old SWC, Big 8, SEC practice)

Both Washington and Oregon (Huskies, Ducks) and hundreds of miles from any base of talent other than the native born HS kids (on par with MN and Wi), yet somehow they get all these talented recruits?

Seattle is as close to Los Angeles as we are to Atlanta (18 hours), and the drive the Bay area longer than the drive from MSP to Nashville, yet all that talent flocks to UW and Oregon? No
I don't know about Washington and cheating, but they have been pretty consistently good over the years, winning conference championships in almost every decade, including before and after the 90s. They did go through a drought before Peterson's tenure.

Guty was the players choice.

Of course McCartney and Neuheisel ran dirty programs at Colorado and Washington. So what? Their fans under age 70 have been able to enjoy a national championship. As long as they didn't get stripped like USC with the Reggie Bush thing, I don't care how they got there.
I do not fully disagree with any of this. I still am a bit shocked that Colorado quit trying to cheat. Maybe they need to hire 80 year old Promise Keeper salesman McCartney to get it going again. They considered it a few years back. Maybe he can bring Lou with him.

Good post, fair points.

One thing, I don't know if the Bay Area actually produces a ton of football talent, at least compared to its population. Probably some. Hate me all you want for saying it ... but it has to do with the base of Black population. There is some in the Bay Area, moreso on the East side (Oakland, etc.). But a lot of football talent in Cali comes from SoCal.

The other major thing is I think the weather/climate swing from SoCal to Eugene or even Seattle is a lot less than the swing from Texas/Southeast to Minnesota. It's the winters, they're brutal. Yeah, so then you say "but what about Madison and Iowa City". That's fine, I have nothing there.

Lastly, culture. I think out West is a different culture and perhaps a bit more homogenous that way along the West Coast. Minnesota ... it is what it is: a bunch of white people. Hate it all you want, but as a Black kid from the south ... that's completely different than what you grew up with. Again, "so what's different with IC or Madison?" Again, I have nothing there. I'm just putting out thoughts for Mpls relative to Texas and the Southeast.
This was a pretty well though out reply, but a couple of clarifications. Also, I was trying to stress how far away from any other population center U of Washington, Oregon and Colorado are, sure the "west coast" is in common with California, but the distance is huge. No LA based family is getting in the car and driving up to see their son play game in Eugene easily. As I wrote LA is as close to Seattle as Minneapolis is to Atlanta Ga.

-the knock on Minnesota is that we are on the edge of the Big Ten far from great players, but Eugene Oregon and Seattle (and Boulder Co) are even further away from any talent outside of Portland and Seattle. (and Denver)

-football season weather in Oregon and Washington is horrible, dark, cloudy, raw, wet, windy and under 45 degrees a lot, I'd take our coldest Minnesota game in the sun over that crap all day... Every game at the former TCF was glorious this year.

-Washington and Oregon are pretty damn white, not much like LA

-some of the other points were good

-the whole "you can't run a passing offense here" thing is BS, (not your point) Nebraska fans say it all the time.... The great pirate ran that stuff at Washington State where you have the worst weather of any P5 team, so much more than any Big Ten team

Last edited:

No LA based family is getting in the car and driving up to see their son play game in Eugene easily. As I wrote LA is as close to Seattle as Minneapolis is to Atlanta Ga.
They (the family) don't need to do that. The team comes to them. Minimum once a year, when they play USC or UCLA. Or Cal or Stanford, are more manageable drives.

Similar when Colorado was in the Big XII. Now very much granted: they weren't in the Big XII back in the very early 90's, it was the Big 8 with no Texas schools. But I wouldn't be surprised if they scheduled Texas teams every year in non-conf. Would have to check.

Minnesota doesn't go down to play SEC schools or Texas schools every year.

-football season weather in Oregon and Washington is horrible, dark, cloudy, raw, wet, windy and under 45 degrees a lot, I'd take our coldest Minnesota game in the sun over that crap all day... Every game at the former TCF was glorious this year.
It's not nearly like you're making it out. Would have to look at the actual climate information, but certainly in the winter the temps are not nearly as bad as here. Would say it's more about how brutal it is in the winter (off-season) that is a deterrent. Does it even snow in Seattle or Eugene?

-Washington and Oregon are pretty damn white, not much like LA
Depending where in LA, there are plenty of Black people, but they aren't the dominant minority, like in the South, unless you're in very specific parts (Compton, etc.)

-the whole "you can't run a passing offense here" thing is BS, (not your point) Nebraska fans say it all the time.... The great pirate ran that stuff at Washington State where you have the worst weather of any P5 team, so much more than any Big Ten team
Personally, I don't think Air Raid is the answer. It wasn't for Texas Tech and WSU. Had a couple great seasons, but I think there's a reason the Iowa's, Wisconsin's, Ohio State's, Alabama's etc. of the college football world run a pro-style base scheme. Doesn't mean they can't tune it for the personnel that season, running more or passing more.

I hadn't considered Detroit to be honest, as historically, it was always a much larger market than the Twin Cities. As it is, it's now one spot below us. If we look at markets 11-16 based on most current DMA numbers:

11- Phoenix
12- Seattle
13- Tampa
14- MSP
15- Detroit
16- Denver

Of these, only Tampa doesn't have all four major sports, since the NBA team is in Orlando.
Phoenix, Seattle, MSP, Detroit and Denver all have major (P5) football in their market. Tampa has USF, but they aren't P5.

If anyone is interested:
2021 markets

I hadn't considered Detroit to be honest, as historically, it was always a much larger market than the Twin Cities. As it is, it's now one spot below us. If we look at markets 11-16 based on most current DMA numbers:

11- Phoenix
12- Seattle
13- Tampa
14- MSP
15- Detroit
16- Denver

Of these, only Tampa doesn't have all four major sports, since the NBA team is in Orlando.
Phoenix, Seattle, MSP, Detroit and Denver all have major (P5) football in their market. Tampa has USF, but they aren't P5.

If anyone is interested:
2021 markets
Hmm ... this has Tampa two spots below MSP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area

I know it's not the same thing

EDIT: it's because Sarasota to North Port is considered a separate metro, but for TV they're lumping them in with Tampa. No idea how "valid" that is.

Good post, fair points.

One thing, I don't know if the Bay Area actually produces a ton of football talent, at least compared to its population.
In recent years, Marshawn Lynch, Jared Allen, David Bakhtiari, Davante Adams, and another guy you may have heard of named Tom Brady. All grew up in the Bay Area.

In recent years, Marshawn Lynch, Jared Allen, David Bakhtiari, Davante Adams, and another guy you may have heard of named Tom Brady. All grew up in the Bay Area.
Five guys in the modern history of football, out of X total guys, and the Bay Area has a population of close to 8M.

Thank you for making my simple point.

Five guys in the modern history of football, out of X total guys, and the Bay Area has a population of close to 8M.

I didn't even go back to OJ Simpson or Lynn Swann, and I'm certainly not going spend any more time looking at everyone who ever made an NFL team from every market, but that was a list of very well-known NFL stars in the current era.

Look at similar sized markets like Philadelphia or Boston. I couldn't find five guys of that caliber from either of those markets.

I couldn't find five guys of that caliber from either of those markets.
You're injecting an extra variable of "caliber".

I didn't say anything of if they would be NFL greats, or not.

Again, I'm saying P5 recruits relative to population. And the point was really in comparison with SoCal.

No one was arguing that the NE part of the country produces lots of football talent. It doesn't.

Did you know that Fleck makes more than Zimmer?
I almost guarantee Fleck works harder than Zimmer too. Mason has talked about this on Barrerio's show. How if an NFL player screws up off-field, it's the player's fault. If a college player screws up, people blame the coach. Not to mention dealing with recruiting, NCAA rules etc.

Out of?

Now do SoCal.

As was my actual point.
Your exact statement was:
"One thing, I don't know if the Bay Area actually produces a ton of football talent, at least compared to its population."

If an average of 30 players a year from the area make the NFL, I'd say that's a lot of football talent. So now you know.

Your exact statement was:
"One thing, I don't know if the Bay Area actually produces a ton of football talent, at least compared to its population."
False. The actual statement was:

One thing, I don't know if the Bay Area actually produces a ton of football talent, at least compared to its population. Probably some. Hate me all you want for saying it ... but it has to do with the base of Black population. There is some in the Bay Area, moreso on the East side (Oakland, etc.). But a lot of football talent in Cali comes from SoCal.

If an average of 30 players a year from the area make the NFL, I'd say that's a lot of football talent.
351 NFL players from the Bay area in the last 35 years

If I did my math correctly, that is approximately 10 per year.

Now do SoCal.

Top Bottom