2024 Commits Football Season Highlights/News

Gopher_Devil

Reaction score
Simpson with an impressive catch at his HS scrimmage.

Sunram kicked off his season with a W. As #75 he plays DL, OL, PK/P and all ST. He literally never leaves the field. Watching his game for notes now.

Edit: watched into the 3rd quarter. Saw a booming punt, couple PATs, and a sack. The team they played went to the state(?) championship game last year so quality competition I’d assume. In the end though I was hoping to see a lot more from Sunram. The size and athleticism are evident but his body language and motor seemed off. First game, hot day, and playing 3 ways can do that though so we’ll see if it changes. His OL play flashes the athleticism but he was often a liability on the line based on technique and effort. On the DL he saw 2/3 teams every play but he also seemed undisciplined with his technique and responsibilities. Again, the potential is there but I was hoping to see more production too. Im expecting that to pick up after knocking the rust off in the first game.

Last edited:

Simpson with an impressive catch at his HS scrimmage.

Sunram kicked off his season with a W. As #75 he plays DL, OL, PK/P and all ST. He literally never leaves the field. Watching his game for notes now.

Edit: watched into the 3rd quarter. Saw a booming punt, couple PATs, and a sack. The team they played went to the state(?) championship game last year so quality competition I’d assume. In the end though I was hoping to see a lot more from Sunram. The size and athleticism are evident but his body language and motor seemed off. First game, hot day, and playing 3 ways can do that though so we’ll see if it changes. His OL play flashes the athleticism but he was often a liability on the line based on technique and effort. On the DL he saw 2/3 teams every play but he also seemed undisciplined with his technique and responsibilities. Again, the potential is there but I was hoping to see more production too. Im expecting that to pick up after knocking the rust off in the first game.

The team they played graduated a bunch of guys last year too. I was hoping for more as well, but like you said playing 3 ways is tough. I would like to see him sit kickoffs/punts out, even though he recovered a fumble on one kickoff. That’s a lot of running for anyone, let alone a lineman who gets double and triple teamed. Recipe for injuries.

HS Football season starts for each state on:
AR: Aug 21
FL: IMG started, others may not have
IL: Aug 24
IN: Started (51-7 win for Smith, no stats yet)
IA: Aug 25
KS: Aug 25
MI: Aug 24
MN: Aug 31
NY: Sep 1
ND: Started (28-0 win for Sunram)
PA: Aug 25
TX; Aug 24
VA: Aug 24
WI: Started (35-7 win for Roy)

Last edited:

Roy’s win last night can be watched on YT here. I’d imagine future games will be here too.

Edit: Watch like 5 plays from the stream. Basically any random 5 and you’ll see why he’s a top recruit. Draws 1 UR penalty but only because he’s abusing the D on every play. So explosive and any player he touches either stops moving or ends up face down in the dirt. Can’t even see how good his pass blocking is because he’s so big and fast he barely has to try.

Last edited:

Hinds/Sims played Lipscomb and won 35-7. Hinds is an exceptional tackle and showed great movement and technique. He rotated out on certain drives for a different player otherwise Hinds looked good. Didn’t see Sims mentioned.

It seems to be unreasonably tough to find info on Sims’ game this week. Found a video on Maxpreps and it said that his team recorded 0 passing yards the entire game. CAI is ranked #6 but also played the #8 team in the state. I guess it was a good opportunity to work on run blocking.

Drake Lindsey had a scrimmage this weekend. Here’s the link:

There’s a lot to unpack. He only plays a half but shows a lot of promise. There are a few “sacks” which are sometimes just a hand swiping the jersey. You could tell he was about launch the ball right before they’d blow the play dead.

He also had a couple INTs. One was a pick six. Stared down a hitch route and the CB jumped it. You learn from those though. The next the WR popped up a pass that hit him right in the hands. He had a couple other dangerous throws but I’m firmly in the “f*** it, it’s a scrimmage” camp. There’s some decent tape for him to review and identify things to work on.

That being said I was thoroughly impressed. His arm is live and he showed the ability to rifle the ball into a window and put some air and touch on longer passes. With some technique work he’ll be able to make any throw on the field. He is also quite mobile and he slides around in the pocket really well. I wish he would’ve stepped into a few more throws to give his WRs more time/space but I’ll get to more on that in a sec.

His size and ability are intriguing. From what is sounds like he has the smarts and character you look for a winning QB. One thing that worries me is his OL and WR core. I don’t wanna make excuses or expect all these other HS kids to be D1 caliber. However, his OL hardly gave him time and the WR seemed to be taking some angles and let multiple passes hit them in the hands. I’m not sure how’d they do catching a pass when Lindsey fully uncorks it.

An 88 seems like a fair rating for him now. His team may legitimately hold him back from his full potential. You could say “a truly great QB would make it work with what he’s got” and maybe Drake does that. Either way he’s got very intriguing skills and we should be pumped to have him!

Drake Lindsey had a scrimmage this weekend. Here’s the link:

There’s a lot to unpack. He only plays a half but shows a lot of promise. There are a few “sacks” which are sometimes just a hand swiping the jersey. You could tell he was about launch the ball right before they’d blow the play dead.

He also had a couple INTs. One was a pick six. Stared down a hitch route and the CB jumped it. You learn from those though. The next the WR popped up a pass that hit him right in the hands. He had a couple other dangerous throws but I’m firmly in the “f*** it, it’s a scrimmage” camp. There’s some decent tape for him to review and identify things to work on.

That being said I was thoroughly impressed. His arm is live and he showed the ability to rifle the ball into a window and put some air and touch on longer passes. With some technique work he’ll be able to make any throw on the field. He is also quite mobile and he slides around in the pocket really well. I wish he would’ve stepped into a few more throws to give his WRs more time/space but I’ll get to more on that in a sec.

His size and ability are intriguing. From what is sounds like he has the smarts and character you look for a winning QB. One thing that worries me is his OL and WR core. I don’t wanna make excuses or expect all these other HS kids to be D1 caliber. However, his OL hardly gave him time and the WR seemed to be taking some angles and let multiple passes hit them in the hands. I’m not sure how’d they do catching a pass when Lindsey fully uncorks it.

An 88 seems like a fair rating for him now. His team may legitimately hold him back from his full potential. You could say “a truly great QB would make it work with what he’s got” and maybe Drake does that. Either way he’s got very intriguing skills and we should be pumped to have him!
Love it. Thanks for posting this. Future looking bright, I gotta wear shades.

Gerald plays both sides in a loss in his opener. Very sloppy game on both sides and some injuries forces Gerald to step in as QB.

Gerald has the big TD above but also lost a fumble at the goal line while reaching for pylon. Hard to find other stats atm. I’d imagine Gerald’s usage is going to look a lot different next week if their starting QB stays out. It’s encouraging that he’s the go to guy for emergency QB play though. He’s an exciting athlete and hopefully can keep his team and production up going forward.

EDIT: https://www.maxpreps.com/games/8-24...-vs-morton-ranch.htm?c=hF0-R9-FyU2ktKDZLNJgDQ

The offense runs through Gerald. The fumble sucks but he’ll learn. Would love to see some defensive film/stats though. I bet most teams won’t run/throw at him as much as the other side

Last edited:

Simpson is easily one of the most important guys to hold onto in this class. His run blocking could use a little work. BUT this dude is a walking ESPN highlight when they throw his way. His pass catching ability is incredible. When this guy beefs up he has the potential to be that receiving TE that colleges dream of. 4* level ability.

43-21 final score as Lindsey gets the first W. This was a pretty sloppy game on both sides. Cabot the other team had 3 CONSECUTIVE SAFTIES off of bad snaps on punts. All 3 went through the end zone.

Besides that Drake had another good showing. Really hard to keep track but I think his line is like 25/38 320 4TDs? Really rough guess. Again this guy has a cannon and isn’t a burner but has enough speed to roll out and pick up a couple yards if need be. Navigates the pocket really well and can zip it when he steps in. He had a few beautiful throws and some questionable ones but that’s HS. He also had 2, if not more, passes hit his WRs in the hands in the end zone. Overall a strong debut for him and his team.

Insane strength and size. Reminds me of Hageman with that frame on the DL. Can’t wait to see what college technique and S/C does for him and his game.

Mike Gerald kicks off his season tonight at home in Texas. Someone I’m really interested in seeing perform.

Tomorrow night the other 90% of our commits begin their season. Really just waiting on some MN and NY guys.
I was actually able to watch that game. You mentioned in one post that the offense runs through him and you couldn't be more accurate. He was all over the field. Played WR, QB, CB, FS, PR, and KR. The problem is his team is not the best and he competes in one of the toughest districts in Texas. I love this kid and can't wait to see him in an Gophers uniform.

Not to take away from an incredible game that I’m sure we’re all still living off the high of

But our HS guys played a few last night and I’ll trickle in stats and opinions on film if I get time.

Smith at Mankato West took a W with 6/80/0. I think they had 6/7 offensive TDs so you would’ve liked to have seen him get one. As with most cases though I’d imagine every DC a commit faces will be thinking “how do I deal with the D1 commit?”. I’ll try and watch some tape to add context.

Drop something if you see it in the Twitteverse! (I’m never calling it X)

Top Bottom