2024 College Football Playoff Schedule

I don't see a scenario where any team would give up a playoff game in their own stadium.
More money, more home fans able to attend, vastly better and more comfortable atmosphere for mid-Dec in Minnesota harsh winter, and more conducive to our new passing dominate offense. :)

I think we'll do like the Wisconsin game.

319 passing yards vs 97 rushing yards :)

If teams drop back to defend the pass, we still retain the ability to ram it down their throat. Best kind of offense: balanced.

How would selling an additional 15,000 tickets (probably ballbark $200-300 per seat) not offset any increased rental costs?
I have no idea how much it would cost to use US Bank for a playoff game. Anyone know?

You have to be able to purchase a ticket to come to the game.

Whatever ticket restrictions the home team is allowed to implement for their on-campus stadium would stay the same for voluntarily moving it off campus.
I think he's saying that the southern folks won't come if they know they'll be sitting outside in 10 degree weather versus sitting in an indoor stadium. Has nothing to do with "implementing restrictions" - the weather is a natural restriction.

In others words, the opposing team might not use all of their allotment.

I think he's saying that the southern folks won't come if they know they'll be sitting outside in 10 degree weather versus sitting in an indoor stadium. Has nothing to do with "implementing restrictions" - the weather is a natural restriction.

In others words, the opposing team might not use all of their allotment.
That's not really relevant if the allotment is 2k. The extra 10-15k tickets would be Gopher fans.

Can't say a situation like that dilutes anything in the regular season.
Not if you're just a gopher fan it doesn't. But it's basically giving the helmet schools a mulligan. Now 'bama, Georgia, tOSU, Michigan, USC, etc can lose a game and just shrug it off and not care.

Heck, Alabama lost 2 games last year and still was in talk of being #4. That's the dilution people like me are bothered by. (For reference, in 2012 Alabama lost ONE game and had to have a bunch of things go their way to make the NC game - in other words, after that one loss, every 'bama game was basically an elimination game, whereas now they'll just write off the mulligan and move on.)

That's not really relevant if the allotment is 2k. The extra 10-15k tickets would be Gopher fans.
I can't directly dispute what you're saying because I don't have detailed knowledge of ticket allotment. But, a few questions:

1. Is it typical to only provide the visiting team with 2,000 tickets?
2. Would the home team be expected to provide more if the size of the venue increased, i.e maybe we only have to provide 2,000 tickets for teams coming to HBS but would have to provide more if moved to USBS?

Lastly, even if the allotment was just 2k, if none of the 2k showed up and Gopher fans were yelling behind their bench, is that not a decent advantage? I dunno, just mentioning it.

My question is who, besides fans of the two remaining teams, is going to care about college football on January 19 or 20th, when the NC game is scheduled to be played.

Students will be back from break, starting a new semester, and college basketball will be going into full-swing.

As for non-students, you've got the NFL playoffs and an NBA season going on, plus college basketball.

I just don't see anyone caring once it gets down that far. The first round will get a lot more viewership, then I'd expect most of America to tune out after the same old same olds are left in January.

I have no idea how much it would cost to use US Bank for a playoff game. Anyone know?
I don't know either, but I am guessing an extra $3-$5million in ticket revenue would offset it and then some. Also there would at least be some costs associated with staging on campus anyway offset.

I can't directly dispute what you're saying because I don't have detailed knowledge of ticket allotment. But, a few questions:

1. Is it typical to only provide the visiting team with 2,000 tickets?
2. Would the home team be expected to provide more if the size of the venue increased, i.e maybe we only have to provide 2,000 tickets for teams coming to HBS but would have to provide more if moved to USBS?

Lastly, even if the allotment was just 2k, if none of the 2k showed up and Gopher fans were yelling behind their bench, is that not a decent advantage? I dunno, just mentioning it.
I don't have any actual details. For a 50-55k stadium, perhaps 10% (let's say 5k) would be the expected allotment for visiting fans. Maybe that would need to bump up to 6.5k for USBS, then. Don't know.

I'm not saying there is zero negatives or zero loss of advantage from moving to USBS from HBS. I just think the positives far outweigh what would be lost.

I'm assuming a 1st round NCAA football playoff game would be treated like an NCAA regional hockey game. Allotment to each school and the rest open to the public.

Our game won't be running in 2023 and forward. It will be more balanced. I would favor indoors for a playoff game.
The best passing offenses in nfl history played in Denver. Minnesota can handle the first week of December

I don't have any actual details. For a 50-55k stadium, perhaps 10% (let's say 5k) would be the expected allotment for visiting fans. Maybe that would need to bump up to 6.5k for USBS, then. Don't know.

I'm not saying there is zero negatives or zero loss of advantage from moving to USBS from HBS. I just think the positives far outweigh what would be lost.
You’re leaving out the biggest negative from playing at USBS though.
That being that it’s f’ing stupid

I'm assuming a 1st round NCAA football playoff game would be treated like an NCAA regional hockey game. Allotment to each school and the rest open to the public.
That would be a big assumption as the NCAA is not running the College Football Playoff. Also a difference is there are no predetermined hosts as there are for hockey, so this football will have a just a few weeks to sell 40,000 - 100,000+ tickets as opposed to more than a year to fill up an arena less than 10,000.

There will be significant differences, not to mention price.

Last edited:

I could easily see Northwestern wanting to move a Playoff game from their soon to be 35,000 capacity stadium to Soldier Field or whatever replaces that facility.

Ditto for Stanford, Colorado, TCU, Kansas St (just to name a few) moving from their relatively small stadiums to nearby NFL Stadiums.
Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the NFL.

Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the NFL.
Umm, yeah...but Soldier Field capacity at 63,500 is 28,500 MORE than what the Wildcats will be able to host once their remodel is complete.

Umm, yeah...but Soldier Field capacity at 63,500 is 28,500 MORE than what the Wildcats will be able to host once their remodel is complete.
And will be indoors once they build the new stadium.

Much better and preferable atmosphere for big time, mid-Dec college football! :)

And will be indoors once they build the new stadium.

Much better and preferable atmosphere for big time, mid-Dec college football! :)
I agree. I survived and was able to enjoy the Iowa/Minnesota game (at least until the last 2 minutes) but that really tested the limits of outdoor football I am willing to endure.

A game such as the Wild Card Vikings/Seahawks game, I turned down the offer to go to the game. Zero regret, even before the outcome.

2 examples of absurd weather conditions. In neither did the the home team get a W.

I don't know either, but I am guessing an extra $3-$5million in ticket revenue would offset it and then some. Also there would at least be some costs associated with staging on campus anyway offset.
Where are you getting $3-5 million in extra ticket revenue? If you sell 15,000 extra tickets at $100 each, that's $1.5 million. Plus, any food and beverage sales would go to the Vikings, rather than the Gophers.

An unanswered (and so far unasked?) question is who gets the ticket revenue -- the home team or NCAA? And which one is paying the rent?

Where are you getting $3-5 million in extra ticket revenue? If you sell 15,000 extra tickets at $100 each, that's $1.5 million. Plus, any food and beverage sales would go to the Vikings, rather than the Gophers.

I think the tickets for a playoff game will cost much more than $100, likely in the $200 - $300 range (or higher). Post #26.

The cut of food and beverage sales would certainly be able to be negotiated. BCS/Hosts could certainly get a taste.

Last edited:

I'm guessing it's over as it's too close to the end of the year. If they played the first round earlier in December it might have been an option.
Who would want to play a bowl after that though? I can't imagine anyone doing it even if they could. The # of players opting out would be through the roof.

I think the tickets for a playoff game will cost much more than $100, likely in the $200 - $300 range (or higher). Post #26.

The cut of food and beverage sales would certainly be able to be negotiated. BCS/Hosts could certainly get a taste.
If those are the prices I doubt more than 30,000 Gopher fans would go.

If those are the prices I doubt more than 30,000 Gopher fans would go.
They will have to stay home and watch on TV then. That's the going rate for Bowl Games.

I would expect lower level tickets to be in the $500 range. Minimum. That's the reality.

Between the yard lines for premium rivalry games the Gophers already set the single game prices for well over $200.

The Rose Bowl starts at $165.

If the Gophers hosted a playoff game, the tickets would be marginally more expensive than a home Wisconsin game.

The Rose Bowl starts at $165.

If the Gophers hosted a playoff game, the tickets would be marginally more expensive than a home Wisconsin game.
Even at $165 that's close to an extra $2.5 million. Prices will no doubt go up in the next 2-3 years to get it even closer to $200 and beyond.

Another benchmark would be what the Vikings charged for their Playoff game. Anybody know? I checked on prices for the Cowboys game and even non-resale nosebleeds were around $200.

Also the 2019 Final 4, felt like the going rate was well over $200 (per session).

Top Bottom