2024 College Football Playoff Schedule

It's fun to imagine an SEC or a southern ACC team having to travel to Minneapolis in the middle of December to play a game.
I could see them manipulating the rankings to avoid this as much as possible. I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised.

For reference, with this format this past season, the only northern team to get a home game in the 1st round would have been Ohio St who would have played Penn St.

Last edited:

It's fun to imagine an SEC or a southern ACC team having to travel to Minneapolis in the middle of December to play a game.
The Gophers could actually work something out with US Bank Stadium in that situation. Ohio St has signaled they would strongly considering playing such a game in Indianapolis instead of Columbus.

Yep, the rules allow the home team to move the on-campus game to a neutral site if they choose.

Gophers should choose to play the game at USBS, as the HBS field is just not suitable for play on Dec 20 with no field warmers.

Yep, the rules allow the home team to move the on-campus game to a neutral site if they choose.

Gophers should choose to play the game at USBS, as the HBS field is just not suitable for play on Dec 20 with no field warmers.
Plus could sell 15,000 more tickets.

The Gophers could actually work something out with US Bank Stadium in that situation. Ohio St has signaled they would strongly considering playing such a game in Indianapolis instead of Columbus.
No

No

will they reseed to avoid conference matchups? Also will it be at the discretion of the "home" team to decide where they want the game to be? I would want as many on campus as possible as a fan, and would envision the team would as well for more homefield advantage (why OSU would ever consider going to Indianapolis would be mind boggling, given the Shoe is plenty large and can get plenty rowdy, though if they were playing PSU playing on an indoor track would've been a huge advantage at the skill positions).

If you lose a first round playoff game, do you get a bowl game or is your season over?
Over, which is a bummer in a sense.

Sun Belt team has a great year, then has to go to an SEC team for a defacto away game, gets run over, and then gets nothing else out of it.

The field is heated. Does the home team get the game revenue? If so, why would they choose to rent a different venue and lose revenue?

The field is heated.
My bad, you're correct!

Various links can be found on Google search for this, such as: https://www.esmagazine.com/articles...-field-with-hydronic-heating-system?v=preview

I just remember when the Vikings had to play there and they were trying to warm it by putting a giant tarp over it and blowing hot air under the tarp. Was truly laughable.

Maybe that was the Dome roof collapse?? I can't remember now.

Does the home team get the game revenue? If so, why would they choose to rent a different venue and lose revenue?
If they can sell more tickets and keep that revenue, then they may actually make more money.

If it was an NCAA tournament game (any sport that NCAA runs, so every sport other than football) then they would not get to keep the money. Not sure how it will work in CFP.

Yep, seems like a win-win-win on all sides.

No one in the thread so far has actually attempted a real argument against it.
It's a win-win other than losing all home field advantage. Play it outside.

It's a win-win other than losing all home field advantage.
Huh?? It's played in our hometown, walkable to campus, and with mostly our fans.

We're going to be throwing the ball more too. Doesn't work so well in an ice bowl.

Huh?? It's played in our hometown, walkable to campus, and with mostly our fans.

We're going to be throwing the ball more too. Doesn't work so well in an ice bowl.
You don't think opposing fans would travel for a playoff game?

Our game is running. Southern teams aren't used to cold/bad weather. Would be idiotic to play it indoors. Might as well just play it in Miami then.

You are assuming that playing in our on-campus stadiums grants some magical privilege to restrict away team fans, while our voluntary choice to move it does not? I don't think so.

Our game is running.
You didn't watch the Wisconsin game. OK

Southern teams aren't used to cold/bad weather. Would be idiotic to play it indoors. Might as well just play it in Miami then.
:ROFLMAO:

OK dude :rolleyes:

You are assuming that playing in our on-campus stadiums grants some magical privilege to restrict away team fans, while our voluntary choice to move it does not? I don't think so.

You didn't watch the Wisconsin game. OK

:ROFLMAO:

OK dude :rolleyes:
You realize that even in our game vs Wisconsin we ran 56% of the time? I doubt PJ Fleck will ever drop consistently below 60/40 run/pass ratio.

Do you think as many fans from the southeast would come here for a game if it's 10 degrees out? I think a large number would stay away.

My bad, you're correct!

Various links can be found on Google search for this, such as: https://www.esmagazine.com/articles...-field-with-hydronic-heating-system?v=preview

I just remember when the Vikings had to play there and they were trying to warm it by putting a giant tarp over it and blowing hot air under the tarp. Was truly laughable.

Maybe that was the Dome roof collapse?? I can't remember now.

If they can sell more tickets and keep that revenue, then they may actually make more money.

If it was an NCAA tournament game (any sport that NCAA runs, so every sport other than football) then they would not get to keep the money. Not sure how it will work in CFP.
Highly doubtful the increased costs would be covered by the additional ticket revenue.

You realize that even in our game vs Wisconsin we ran 56% of the time?
Mo had his worst game of the season, by far. Indeed

I doubt PJ Fleck will ever drop consistently below 60/40 run/pass ratio.
Well I hope you're wrong, so I guess we'll see.

Do you think as many fans from the southeast would come here for a game if it's 10 degrees out? I think a large number would stay away.
You have to be able to purchase a ticket to come to the game.

Whatever ticket restrictions the home team is allowed to implement for their on-campus stadium would stay the same for voluntarily moving it off campus.

Highly doubtful the increased costs would be covered by the additional ticket revenue.
How would selling an additional 15,000 tickets (probably ballbark $200-300 per seat) not offset any increased rental costs?

I don't see a scenario where any team would give up a playoff game in their own stadium. The Gophers probably have the most likely scenario with US Bank Stadium a mile from campus.

Either way, I am so excited for this 12 team format. I think this is going to put increased attention and importance on the regular season. There is a major race to win your conference and secure a bye, then a huge race to be 5-8 and get a home game, then a huge race on 9-12 to get into the playoffs.

I can't help but think back to 2019 knowing that if we beat Wisconsin the last week of the season there is a good chance we are hosting a playoff game. Can't say a situation like that dilutes anything in the regular season.

Our game is running. Southern teams aren't used to cold/bad weather. Would be idiotic to play it indoors. Might as well just play it in Miami then.
Our game won't be running in 2023 and forward. It will be more balanced. I would favor indoors for a playoff game.

I don't see a scenario where any team would give up a playoff game in their own stadium. The Gophers probably have the most likely scenario with US Bank Stadium a mile from campus.
I could easily see Northwestern wanting to move a Playoff game from their soon to be 35,000 capacity stadium to Soldier Field or whatever replaces that facility.

Ditto for Stanford, Colorado, TCU, Kansas St (just to name a few) moving from their relatively small stadiums to nearby NFL Stadiums.

Our game won't be running in 2023 and forward. It will be more balanced. I would favor indoors for a playoff game.
Like I said before, I would be shocked to see a PJ Fleck team vary much from 60% running. Do you think we'll be 60% passing? 50% passing?

Top Bottom