2024-2028 Big Ten Schedules have been released.

Neither Clemson nor Florida State are Big Ten institutions. Certainly not Clemson. No, thanks

We've been hearing talk of an imminent departure from the ACC. Word is it could come in October.

There was talk that four together were a package deal, get the best you want and take a couple more too. North Carolina is the most coveted by SEC and Big Ten.

It looks like Clemson is to announce an exit this month. It could be either SEC or Big Ten.

The advantages of Clemson are the football tradition and warm weather with great golf.

So we could see four of these teams coming to Big Ten: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, Duke and Virginia.

Here's the really crazy part. Stanford just left the sinking Pac-12, and now the ACC is about to go under too. Jump from one sinking ship to the next.

Neither Clemson nor Florida State are Big Ten institutions. Certainly not Clemson. No, thanks
Lol okay.
Was just giving an example of how 20 works a lot better than 18 for scheduling with a 9 game schedule

24 also much better but makes more sense with an 11 game schedule

None of this makes any sense unless they have divisions, preferably East-West, as before. Instead of 7 teams per league there would now be 9. Without divisions, it will be blah. Who cares if you're 14th or 11th or 16th? Will be ugly.
This fit perfectly into what the conference wants. Top 2 go to championship game. rest of the teams are set by records into the bowl tiers for the bowls to pick. Bowls and at-large don't use tie-breakers in picking teams. Outside of the top 2 it's simply bragging rights and bowl tiers.

We need one more West coast team and one more Midwest or East coast team. Cal/Stanford and Notre Dame in an ideal world

4 divisions of 5 teams.

Without divisions, the Big Ten is over for many fans.

Sorry. I'm afraid it will take me a while to get used to this "new" big ten.

Yes, some of the "rivals" assignments seem suspect to me as well.

Iowa gets three designated rivals they play each year: Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska. They have difficulties with the first but have beaten the second for 8 straight games and the third in 7 out of the last 8 games.

Minnesota has two designated rivals: Wisconsin and Iowa. They have lost to the second 8 straight years and are at best 50/50 with the first.

@Governor Sibley right? The NFL gets it!

Winning division and divisions rivalries (with home/away every year) very important!

so as I understand it, the B1G took the same "Flex Protect" system they used for the schedules that were announced earlier this year - and just revised it with the addition of Oregon and Washington.

the net result is that each team is allowed to have one, two or three protected opponents - if they so choose - and after that, there is a rotation.

I think - if I am correct - that MN will face every other team in the B1G in a home and away over a 5-year period.

I can live with that. sure, in any given year, the schedule may seem a little tougher for one team and not so much for another team, but over time it evens out.

in a perfect world, I'd like to have divisions, but TV $$$ calls the shots, and TV wants the best two teams in the conference title game, so that is what they get.

so as I understand it, the B1G took the same "Flex Protect" system they used for the schedules that were announced earlier this year - and just revised it with the addition of Oregon and Washington.

the net result is that each team is allowed to have one, two or three protected opponents - if they so choose - and after that, there is a rotation.

I think - if I am correct - that MN will face every other team in the B1G in a home and away over a 5-year period.

I can live with that. sure, in any given year, the schedule may seem a little tougher for one team and not so much for another team, but over time it evens out.

in a perfect world, I'd like to have divisions, but TV $$$ calls the shots, and TV wants the best two teams in the conference title game, so that is what they get.
Correct interpretation.

Every team has some teams they play twice in 5 years.
Some teams they play 3 times in 5 years.
Some teams they play 5 times in 5 years.

45 games in 5 years.
For example.
Iowa plays Nebraska, wisconsin, and Minnesota 15 times.
Iowa plays they play the other 14 teams 30 times. Meaning 12 teams twice and 2 teams 3 times.

The real thing is that, just like it was before, they're really doing it in two-year chunks. Every team has three teams that they play both years. For Gophers, that's Rutgers in 24/25, in addition to Iowa and Wisc. In 26/27 it's Washington.

It's just a matter of how many of those three teams will change with each two year chunk. For Gophers, two of them (Iowa and Wisc) will never change. For Iowa, all three will never change (Minn, Neb, Wisc). Purdue, Wisc, ILL, and Mich have two, while all others except PSU only have one, that never change. PSU all three will change.

The now 12 (was 11) permanent rivalries are:
ILL-NW, ILL-Pur, Mich-MSU, Mich-OSU, Rut-Mary, IU-Pur, UCLA-USC, Minn-Iowa, Iowa-Neb, Iowa-Wisc, Minn-Wisc, Wash-Ore

Big Ten Commissioner, Petitti, interviewed at length by Joel Klatt on Fox Sports, and Klatt never asks him about the abolition of divisions! An 18-team league just isn't going to work from the perspective of fans, but it is obvious from everything Pettiti said that TV money is all that counts. The B10 some day could have 32 teams from all over the country - a 130-year regional history means nothing; the 12-team playoff, somewhat jerry-built, is a second season in which a weaker first place conference champion could outrank a stronger 3rd place team from another conference; the open transfer is a circus; entire conferences with 100-year histories are wiped out. This is like the NFL, but without the discipline - a kind of free-for-all.

The SEC and B1G schedules are going to be so good every week with the movement of Texas/Oklahoma and the 4 PAC12 schools. Sometimes I find myself looking at the schedules.

For instance, Michigan plays Texas and Oklahoms in nonconference of the next for years. Add that to the conference schedule and

2024 for example
Texas
tOSU
Oregon
Washington
USC
MSU
MN
IL
NW
IN
Fresno State
Arkansas State.

This year they played PSU and tOSU

Of course, I love the schedule with one game on the west coast for each of the next five years. Gotta Catch ‘Em All.

Who has the "easiest" and who has the "toughest" schedule in each of those years; assuming that the "good" teams stay good and the "weaker" teams stay week?

Who has the "easiest" and who has the "toughest" schedule in each of those years; assuming that the "good" teams stay good and the "weaker" teams stay week?
The only easier or harder schedules now are based on locked games

Teams locked against a hard team have harder schedules.
Teams locked against easy teams have easy schedules.

Purdue has an easy schedule (Indiana)
Michigan State has a hard schedule (Michigan)

Everyone else will pretty much balance our over a 5 year stretch other than locked games

Year to year there will be differences based on strength of individual teams

Washington & Washington State have agreed to keep playing each other for at least 5 seasons. Next year the Apple Cup will be neutral site at the Seahawks stadium. After that they go back on campus.

Good, as it should be. Hope Oregon follows suit and Iowa continues on indefinitely.

Just took a look. Wow, what a conference. Unlike in the B1G West, the majority of teams we face will now play a 21st Century version of football. Gophers, as underdogs in many games, will need a very stout yet opportunistic defense and, hate to say it, a creative offense that is designed to produce explosive plays and that can play from behind. The days of trying to grind out low-scoring victories and "turtling" through the second half when you have a lead won't even get you to 0.500 against this schedule. It's not just recruiting and NIL: it's HC/OC mindset, too. In this new league format, if PJ continues to use his current overly-conservative offensive (and special teams) strategy, he will lose a frustrated fan base well before he loses the team. Still, I really like the new league and the challenges it provides. Go Gophers.

We have played Indiana 3 times in the last 9 years. We will play them twice in the next 5.

We have played Rutgers 3 times in the last 9 years. We play them 3 times in the next 5.
I'm good with that!

I'm good with that!
People are overly freaking out about the schedule.

We are unlikely to ever get a schedule where we miss everyone. But the average schedule isn’t that much different than what it has been. Maybe a half game tougher than the typical year. The same or easier than this year

Indiana returns to Minneapolis in 2027.

In 2008 who would have guessed in the first 18 years of TCF/Huntington Bank Stadium that USC would play more games in Minneapolis than Indiana? Crazy.

Fun seeing some new FBS teams at the Bank!
If you like six and six seasons, you should love this!

If you like six and six seasons, you should love this!
Maybe I am going crazy or delusional but USC doesn't scare me anymore than Penn State does. To me a clear step below Ohio State and the last few years of Michigan. Oregon and Washington on the other hand are tough.

I love the Gophers but at the end of the day if I can travel 30 minutes to watch my favorite college football team play a high level opponent... sign me up.

Maybe I am going crazy or delusional but USC doesn't scare me anymore than Penn State does. To me a clear step below Ohio State and the last few years of Michigan. Oregon and Washington on the other hand are tough.

I love the Gophers but at the end of the day if I can travel 30 minutes to watch my favorite college football team play a high level opponent... sign me up.
UCLA and USC are more like the Wisconsi/Iowa teams of 3 years ago. Lots of qb talent most likely leaving at least 3 of the PAC 12 teams. Ore. and Wash. are top notch for now, things change.

Hate these huge conferences, don’t think they help college football in the long run.

@MNfootballfan

This is one way you could look at it -- not saying it's the best way or even a perfectly valid way, just a way:

add up all the spreads of our games over the regular season.

This season no doubt the "spread sum" would be higher than 2021 and 22 because of playing Mich and Ohio State.

That makes sense, right?

OK, so then I think our schedules the next years going forward will have an average spread sum +X points higher than in the Big Ten West days, due to playing better teams more often.

That's more fine-grained a measure than just saying "well now we have 2-3 games that we will likely lose right off the bat as opposed to 1-2."

@Ope3 I did not realize how often Pitt-PSU was played! I figured it was one of those weird things of nearby schools that just don't play that often due to different history of conferences.

But indeed, they played every year over 1900-1992 save for a three year break 1932-34.

Since then (31 seasons 1993-2023) they've only played two contracts of four games each (1997-2000 and 2016-2019) with no further series on the table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State–Pittsburgh_football_rivalry

I wonder if this is the only example in the country of two in-state P5 schools that don't play yearly, at least up through 2023 season conf configurations?

Texas - A&M, going back to it but then will lose Texas vs other Big 12, so there is that I guess.

@Ope3 I did not realize how often Pitt-PSU was played! I figured it was one of those weird things of nearby schools that just don't play that often due to different history of conferences.

But indeed, they played every year over 1900-1992 save for a three year break 1932-34.

Since then (31 seasons 1993-2023) they've only played two contracts of four games each (1997-2000 and 2016-2019) with no further series on the table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State–Pittsburgh_football_rivalry

I wonder if this is the only example in the country of two in-state P5 schools that don't play yearly, at least up through 2023 season conf configurations?

Texas - A&M, going back to it but then will lose Texas vs other Big 12, so there is that I guess.

As far as Northeast College football, Pitt-Penn St was the premier rivalry game other than Army-Navy. The 70s - early 90s had some really big games.

As for other P5 instate non-rivalries two that come to mind are Indiana-Notre Dame and Cincinnati-Ohio St. Cincinnati is only P5 this year, but have been "quasi P5" for several decades.

Top Bottom