2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

I asked you who you thought was good. Your response was whoever the AP thinks is good. Do you not understand what you're doing? You've been preaching people to use their own brains, but can't even do it yourself?
The AP uses human brains. And I generally agree with their rankings.

Just like I generally agreed when humans picked the NCAA teams.

I used my brain and said when I disagreed on a few teams here & there. But I'm not going to make a huge list of it now.

Do I really have to spoon-feed my logic to you?

Of course there are a few scenarios where conference tournament wins will help you. But it's largely pointless or even counter-productive.
If Tennessee wins their conference tournament (or Arizona), they're a 1 seed over UNC. That's why conference tournaments matter. Seeding is important, even though I admit we're seeing way more parity currently than we ever have before.

No one should be a slave to a computer index but computer indexes are better than humans for:

1) arranging general rankings among a very large group of objects around objective criteria;

2) being able to provide general consensus.

As long as the criteria on those indexes are transparent, understandable, and consistent people can adjust to them.
I highly disagree.

At least when ranking college basketball teams.

If Tennessee wins their conference tournament (or Arizona), they're a 1 seed over UNC. That's why conference tournaments matter. Seeding is important, even though I admit we're seeing way more parity currently than we ever have before.
I'd rather be a well rested 2-seed than a tired banged-up emotionally-spent 1-seed.

At least the B1G gives a double-bye now...so it's a little better than it used to be.

Do I really have to spoon-feed my logic to you?

Of course there are a few scenarios where conference tournament wins will help you. But it's largely pointless or even counter-productive.

When your ONLY path to making the tournament is the AQ(the Gophers), the games aren't meaningless. We just saw FIVE bid stealers.

Also, your logic on many things is dumb, just FYI.

You're not following along. That dude has been preaching about using your own brain to decide who was good and not the computers. I ask him who he thinks is good and he says, well, whoever the AP thinks is good. That makes no sense.

Also, a win in November means just as much as a win in February, as it should. Same with a loss.
Your last graph is where I disagree. In November a lot of teams are finding out who of their new players can actually play. Most teams now have portal players who are new. For that reason, I think conference wins and how the team plays in February or March are more indicative of the strength of the team at tournament time.

I understand the selection process, just don't agree with it.

You're kidding right? The problem isn't access. The problem is the number of hours in the day and the competition from eating, sleeping, working, and other necessary and normal human activities.
As I said, they can watch as little or as much as they choose. Meaning, they can sleep and eat full time for months and look at a spread sheet this morning and announce the pairings.

No one should be a slave to a computer index but computer indexes are better than humans for:

1) arranging general rankings among a very large group of objects around objective criteria;

2) being able to provide general consensus.

As long as the criteria on those indexes are transparent, understandable, and consistent people can adjust to them.
I keep hearing people talk about the computer indexes and rankings like they are created by some form of generative AI. They are simply formulas that calculate inputs deemed important by HUMANS.

I've never seen this argument ever made until this year and it's by a small group of CBJ apologists. It's the same group that thought Betts was so dominant he ruined Battle last year. They thought Wilson was a great signing because of "practice".

This is like placing an order on DoorDash and thinking your iPhone is acting like a chef.

I keep hearing people talk about the computer indexes and rankings like they are created by some form of generative AI. They are simply formulas that calculate inputs deemed important by HUMANS.

I've never seen this argument ever made until this year and it's by a small group of CBJ apologists. It's the same group that thought Betts was so dominant he ruined Battle last year. They thought Wilson was a great signing because of "practice".

This is like placing an order on DoorDash and thinking your iPhone is acting like a chef.
Ha! C'mon man, that was a group of one.

When your ONLY path to making the tournament is the AQ(the Gophers), the games aren't meaningless. We just saw FIVE bid stealers.

Also, your logic on many things is dumb, just FYI.
Logic?? You believe anything you're told by an 'official' looking person on the television. You'd believe in space-aliens if they said they found one.

Last edited:

This is coming from a guy who melted-down when we lost legacy-recruit-from-NBA-player Trevor Winter.

You've never seen anyone say that humans can process information better than computers?? This is seriously THE FIRST TIME I've ever seen people say that computers can process info better than humans...like to select NCAA teams. Things that would have been considered totally absurd are now considered normal. All it takes is a little conditioning.

This is coming from a guy who melted-down when we lost legacy-recruit-from-NBA-player Trevor Winter.

You've never seen anyone say that humans can process information better than computers?? This is seriously THE FIRST TIME I've ever seen people say that computers can process info better than humans...like to select NCAA teams. Things that would have been considered totally absurd are now considered normal. All it takes is a little conditioning.
No, I didn't. Again, would you like for me to bump the thread?

Your second paragraph is just pure nonsense. I've never seen a group of people discuss people being "slaves" to a tool. I have no idea what point you're making in the bold.

You're becoming unhinged.

Battle with a very good game last night in their win over Cornell. Big 3 pointer to give them the lead with about 45 seconds left.
17 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 39 minutes.

Seton Hall losing to St. Joseph's in the second half. The vaunted Big East could potentially be 0-4 in the postseason.....with three of those teams losing on their home courts.

I'm fading BE on my brackets outside of UConn.

The Big Least is about to fall to 0-4 in the NIT of Seton Hall doesn't come back...

Top Bottom