2022 Best BBQ Restaurant In Every College Town (Minnesota: Beast BBQ)

Sounds like you know you're wood 😅
Pecan wood is easy to get down here so that is usually the anchor, I prefer hickory to mesquite to complement the pecan. A little apple or cherry chunk is nice too. If you just rub a brisket with quality salt and pepper and then let that wood do its magic you will get a nice brisket almost every time. My mouth is starting to salivate just thinking about it.
But honestly. I also like the pecan and hickory combo. And if you still live in Houston area Corkscrew BBQ was my favorite there.

Really will have better luck with a low and slow with a big brisket. I think 225 is pretty ideal, however, I have gotten my heat up as high as 275 for a bit and it worked out fine. My best out comes have been to wrap the brisket in butcher paper of foil about two thirds through your cook. When its done, throw it wrapped in a cooler where it can create some steam which will make the meat extremely tender and moist.

In my last brisket smoke, I used butcher paper wrap and really liked the results. My original intention was to leave unwrapped for the whole smoke to see how the brisket would come out, but the temp stalled for several hours at about 165 and I got impatient and worried about not having enough coal. I'll have to try the cooler rest method next time to see how that impacts the meat.

A new thing I did last time that I'll probably do again is separate the point from the flat at about 195 degrees. I trimmed fat on the point, cut it up in cubes and mixed with BBQ sauce for some relatively lean burnt ends (I hate fatty burnt ends most places serve). I finished off the burnt ends in an open tray and re-wrapped the flat. The burnt ends were incredible, but the flat was still slightly dry for my taste. I'm going to try a lower temp and the cooler rest method next time.

Okay. You guys convinced me that now I need a smoker...don't tell my wife...What should I purchase? I have a Ooni pizza oven, a Weber and a gas grill. So, I'm familiar with wood, gas and coal.

Love Q fanatic (Champlin) when I'm home or Rack Shack (Burnsville) visiting family in the south metro.

When I lived there several years ago you had to show up at around 8 or 9am and you got a number and that was your place in line when they opened.
I think its still similar....YOu have to get there early and they sell until they sell out. Im not really a fan of that system.

That's quite an impressive unit.
That’s what she said

That's quite an impressive unit. I think my wife might notice that when it shows up on the patio though.
I picked up this one, which gives me the option of gas grilling or smoking. I pretty much use the gas only to start my chimney for smoking.

When I get an additional one, I’ll get this one:

Top Bottom