2021-2022 Roster balance concerns

That's how I've read the rules but I could be wrong. Also, the scholarships of those taking the extra year due to COVID (regardless of whether the players play this year or not) do not count against the scholarship limit. However, this is an allowance, not a requirement, so schools do not have to adopt this allowance and fund the additional scholarships. The Ivy League already has rejected adopting this rule and I read that Wisconsin's AD Alvarez isn't too crazy about it either.
I haven't read anything official on this beyond football. I think?

I could see Ihnen getting some time at SF, depending on the lineup.

My question would be PG. Is Mashburn the PG, or is that a spot where a transfer could come into play?
We have been talking about playing Ihnen on here at the 3 for 2 years. He has proven to be one of our better rebounders and we are still talking about it. I don't get it

This is why Pitino can't just go 10-10/11-9 or whatever. He needs to do something significant. We can't go in to next year with him still needing to prove himself. Recruiting is too important. I personally don't like the '21 class. Two bigs who are not great rebounders, great scorers, or elite athletes. As the thread starter pointed out, they don't really fill a need for the '21 Gophers.

I’m kinda surprised if people are down on this 2021 pair. Rankings wise, they don’t jump out but both have the profile to really succeed in the Big Ten. You can really only go on efficiency numbers and some of these videos clips but there’s a lot to like about Pohto in particular who reminds me a bit of Liam Robbins actually.

I think that if Pohto had the exposure on the AAU circuit that they typically get, we’re talking about someone who’s comfortably a top 100 recruit. He’s on a Sunrise team that has three top 40 prospects so despite not being a featured part of their offense, he remarkably shot 53% from 3 as a Junior(!!!). He’s around Liam’s size already listed at 6’11 240 and is very agile in the clips I’ve seen of him, gets up and down the court very well, shows soft touch around the rim with either hand and he shows consistent mechanics on his jumper (though I’d like if his release was a little higher). I haven’t seen much of him defensively but with his length, he should be able to hold up against some of these clunky bigs we see in the Big Ten. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pohto is our starting center in the 22/23 season.

Treyton looks more in the Badger big mold that has given us hell over the years. Skilled scorer/shooter/passer but I do wonder about him defensively. Sounds like he’s really emphasizing defense at La Lumiere this season so that’s positive to hear but he’s very slender and he isn’t the most fluid athlete, I imagine he’ll play some next year but probably one to develop for a couple years before taking on a bigger role as an upperclassman.

I really don’t think next year’s team needs an influx of impact talent outside of at PG but both have the potential to find their way into the rotation no doubt.

I’m kinda surprised if people are down on this 2021 pair. Rankings wise, they don’t jump out but both have the profile to really succeed in the Big Ten. You can really only go on efficiency numbers and some of these videos clips but there’s a lot to like about Pohto in particular who reminds me a bit of Liam Robbins actually.

I think that if Pohto had the exposure on the AAU circuit that they typically get, we’re talking about someone who’s comfortably a top 100 recruit. He’s on a Sunrise team that has three top 40 prospects so despite not being a featured part of their offense, he remarkably shot 53% from 3 as a Junior(!!!). He’s around Liam’s size already listed at 6’11 240 and is very agile in the clips I’ve seen of him, gets up and down the court very well, shows soft touch around the rim with either hand and he shows consistent mechanics on his jumper (though I’d like if his release was a little higher). I haven’t seen much of him defensively but with his length, he should be able to hold up against some of these clunky bigs we see in the Big Ten. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pohto is our starting center in the 22/23 season.

Treyton looks more in the Badger big mold that has given us hell over the years. Skilled scorer/shooter/passer but I do wonder about him defensively. Sounds like he’s really emphasizing defense at La Lumiere this season so that’s positive to hear but he’s very slender and he isn’t the most fluid athlete, I imagine he’ll play some next year but probably one to develop for a couple years before taking on a bigger role as an upperclassman.

I really don’t think next year’s team needs an influx of impact talent outside of at PG but both have the potential to find their way into the rotation no doubt.

Pohto has had plenty of exposure, that is the concerning part. He's got some very well regarded teammates (including Kendall Brown who the Gophers needed) and exactly ZERO of the schools coming through Sunrise to see Brown and company offered a 6'10-6'11 kid. He's not very athletic and has struggled to rebound. Thompson is really, really thin. If he's in the mold of a current Badger it's Crowl. Can he bulk up like Reuvers has? He hasn't shown Reuvers ability to score.

I'd say both of these guys are clear projects, just like Mitchell and Freeman. That's 4 of your 13 scholarships (potentially) held up in project bigs.

Pohto has had plenty of exposure, that is the concerning part. He's got some very well regarded teammates (including Kendall Brown who the Gophers needed) and exactly ZERO of the schools coming through Sunrise to see Brown and company offered a 6'10-6'11 kid. He's not very athletic and has struggled to rebound. Thompson is really, really thin. If he's in the mold of a current Badger it's Crowl. Can he bulk up like Reuvers has? He hasn't shown Reuvers ability to score.

I'd say both of these guys are clear projects, just like Mitchell and Freeman. That's 4 of your 13 scholarships (potentially) held up in project bigs.
The vast majority of bigs are projects.Watching HD the freshman for Michigan is miles ahead of 99% of his class but sometimes you get the project and they end up being really special.

It's hard to know who will take advantage of the extra year and who won't. But I will be surprised if we don't end up with at least four open scholarships. Way too early to worry about roster balance IMO.

Top Bottom