2020 Mortell Holder of the year recipient gets in bar fight

Nothing better watching a bully get what they deserve. We are all better because of this.

Maybe I missed it on the video/sound, but what info did you gather that told you who was the bully was in this situation? Honest question, as I only watched the video once. I know the football player said something along the lines of "Get the f--k out of here" to the MMA guy(s), but is that bullying?

Maybe I missed it on the video/sound, but what info did you gather that told you who was the bully was in this situation? Honest question, as I only watched the video once. I know the football player said something along the lines of "Get the f--k out of here" to the MMA guy(s), but is that bullying?
Yeah it seemed like a bunch of stupid guys fighting... not seeing any bullying exactly.

I don't think there's nearly enough info from a short clip to use that term.

Yeah it seemed like a bunch of stupid guys fighting... not seeing any bullying exactly.

I'd never looked up the definition of bully before, but used as a verb it is defined as - "seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)". The HOTY (or his friend) definitely wanted to intimidate and coerce the MMA guy to gtfo. Though used as a noun -- as it was above it -- its defined to be someone who habitually bullies.

I'd never looked up the definition of bully before, but used as a verb it is defined as - "seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)". The HOTY (or his friend) definitely wanted to intimidate and coerce the MMA guy to gtfo. Though used as a noun -- as it was above it -- its defined to be someone who habitually bullies.
Wouldn't that apply to ... everyone in the video?

Agree. No idea what happened before this. No conclusions can be drawn beyond what was in the video. Not good for either party.

Don't you think its weird that someone immediately had their cell phone on video for this encounter?
I don't know about immediately, but they could have been talking shit for a while... who knows.

Was weird that they did that in a bathroom.

Wouldn't that apply to ... everyone in the video?
I don't think so at all. The HOTY and his friend verbally accost and shove the MMA guy. He does nothing until he gets shoved. The MMA guy wasn't intimidating anyone or coercing anyone with threats of force to do anything. Granted we have no idea what happened before this was shot.

I'm sure it was over something very important in the grand scheme of life. Like, the one guy's buddy cut in line to use the pisser.

It looks staged to me...Honestly surprised someone needed surgery after this.

It looks staged to me...Honestly surprised someone needed surgery after this.
The look the MMA guy has when he gets shoved looked scripted to me --- though the blows and the suplex-like maneuver looked real enough

Bullies only seem to learn from a public beat down as the current Governor of New York is being exposed and finding out.

Bullies only seem to learn from a public beat down as the current Governor of New York is being exposed and finding out.

Were you bullied in your life? You've mentioned "bullies" at least 5 times in this short thread. Seems to be a trigger for you.

Were you bullied in your life? You've mentioned "bullies" at least 5 times in this short thread. Seems to be a trigger for you.

I'm sure for people who were bullied it would be a triggering event. But you were never bullied were ya, tough guy?

I work with non profits that deal with bullying so yes I know the signs actions of bullies which is a large issue for all of society. Bringing light to an issue is every one's responsibility. As this is a non football topic which brought the opportunity for educating not ignorance. I deal with bullies with action or actions needed. I enjoy seeing the fear in their eyes when they realize they screwed up.

I work with non profits that deal with bullying so yes I know the signs actions of bullies which is a large issue for all of society. Bringing light to an issue is every one's responsibility. As this is a non football topic which brought the opportunity for educating not ignorance. I deal with bullies with action or actions needed. I enjoy seeing the fear in their eyes when they realize they screwed up.
What non profit do you work for?

I'm sure for people who were bullied it would be a triggering event. But you were never bullied were ya, tough guy?

I was bullied all through middle school and early high school. It took me a lot of therapy to release that pain from my adolescence. I know all about all of it and I'm not a tough guy.

I simply am not sure I equate drunken chest-puffing between a bunch of 20-something bros as "bullying". Dudes talk shit drunk all the time. College bars are full of testosterone. Generally someone spouts off and they may pay the price for it. Plenty of hard lessons learned that way.

I just didn't see any bullying in this video. It seems like a lot of people on this thread made the assumption that the football player was being a big shot and deserved it. Maybe. Hard to say from the clip.

Ultimately, professionally trained fighters who continue to pound an unconscious person on the ground and/or nearly take someone's eye out are crossing a bigger line than some guy talking shit in a bathroom line.

I am not employed by them as I serve on their boards. I hope no one takes my reply as being angry which I am not. I love open & free discussion which sadly big media & big tech do not.

I mean, come on. It took a foreign country influencing an election and a riot in the Capitol for big tech to finally put some limitations on their platforms. About 5 years too late. Social media has already completely shaped and ruined the minds of a whole generation of young people. Now it's doing its work on a lot of older people through QAnon.

Unless you're cheering for the total demise of the human race, it's hard to believe anyone can think we aren't in a very dangerous place as a society and that limiting what flies on social media isn't badly necessary.

I mean, come on. It took a foreign country influencing an election and a riot in the Capitol for big tech to finally put some limitations on their platforms. About 5 years too late. Social media has already completely shaped and ruined the minds of a whole generation of young people. Now it's doing its work on a lot of older people through QAnon.

Unless you're cheering for the total demise of the human race, it's hard to believe anyone can think we aren't in a very dangerous place as a society and that limiting what flies on social media isn't badly necessary.
Democracy cannot exist without 'freedom of speech and expression'.

Democracy cannot exist without 'freedom of speech and expression'.
First Amendment verbatim from https://constitution.congress.gov/constitution/amendment-1/:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Emphasis mine."Big Media" and "Big Tech" are not part of Congress, so they are allow to control and limit speech as they seem fit. Furthermore, as someone who claims to work with non-profits who work to combat bullying, I'm sure you're aware of the term cyber-bullying?

Not sure what you mean?

All the people complaining about being censored by "big tech" (aka QAnon followers) believe the savior Donald Trump will re-emerge as president on March 4. I have a hard time believing this is the first you've heard of "the plan".

All the people complaining about being censored by "big tech" (aka QAnon followers) believe the savior Donald Trump will re-emerge as president on March 4. I have a hard time believing this is the first you've heard of "the plan".
That seems odd. I would not place a bet that happens. Well if one believes that then they are victims & products of public education. I just want every one to have their freedoms not pick and choose.

Take the politics to the off-topic board please. This board is for discussing Gopher football and the occasional bar fight involving a Big 12 player.

Top Bottom