2020-2021 Lineup Breakdown

Is there a way one could see the top 100 recruiting players over the years that have redshirted? I am quite interested to see who would be on that list over the years.
My son has a data base containing every single category of every program in college basketball. I t is protected for the value. But a quick look at a 10 year history of elite performance of UW,UVA and Nova is pretty simple on rosters check. Short answer was Nova HAD 6 ON ONE TEAM AT A TIME ! UVA did Brogdon,Hall,Hunter, Huff, Shedrick, Caffaro as a example. UW , huge with all american bigs !

My son has a data base containing every single category of every program in college basketball. I t is protected for the value. But a quick look at a 10 year history of elite performance of UW,UVA and Nova is pretty simple on rosters check. Short answer was Nova HAD 6 ON ONE TEAM AT A TIME ! UVA did Brogdon,Hall,Hunter, Huff, Shedrick, Caffaro as a example. UW , huge with all american bigs !
I am kind of lazy. Just wondering if you or anyone else knows a site that would have the top 100 recruits every year out of high school and have like a label if they redshirted. I dont want to check by team that seems like alot of time. You brought this topic up and I became very interested. I was aware mostly of the Virginia and Villanova redshirts. Great topic. It seems redshirting was more prevalent in 80's and 90's but with the addition of aau and summer leagues kids dont want to buy in to redshirting.

I am kind of lazy. Just wondering if you or anyone else knows a site that would have the top 100 recruits every year out of high school and have like a label if they redshirted. I dont want to check by team that seems like alot of time. You brought this topic up and I became very interested. I was aware mostly of the Virginia and Villanova redshirts. Great topic. It seems redshirting was more prevalent in 80's and 90's but with the addition of aau and summer leagues kids dont want to buy in to redshirting.
The programs i mentioned are going to continue using it and are not having problems recruiting kids that like the idea. More to come this year as well. Players even asking about it in recruiting. These are mature kids emotionally, that are very interested in the academic piece as well as the basketball piece, that want the whole experience and buy in to the culture. You target them in recruiting, especially paying attention to high school, they trust in the passion of a coach wired that way.

The programs i mentioned are going to continue using it and are not having problems recruiting kids that like the idea. More to come this year as well. Players even asking about it in recruiting. These are mature kids emotionally, that are very interested in the academic piece as well as the basketball piece, that want the whole experience and buy in to the culture. You target them in recruiting, especially paying attention to high school, they trust in the passion of a coach wired that way.
Oh you dont have to convince me on redshirting. I am all for it if the kid seems like he is not quite ready but I think he will eventually. Especially with bigs, alot havent grown into their body. Whether that be muscle wise or coordination wise.

Last edited:

I always enjoy your contributions, you know that. But I think you're just proving my point:

The four most recent high-profile redshirts from Villanova were Omari Spellman, Donte DiVencenzo, Mikal Bridges, and Eric Paschall. All but Paschall left early for the NBA. In other words, Villanova never got to cash in on the extra year the redshirt gave them. There was no downside to playing them that extra year, unless you argue that simply being on the court would have been harmful either physically or emotionally.

I always enjoy your contributions, you know that. But I think you're just proving my point:

The four most recent high-profile redshirts from Villanova were Omari Spellman, Donte DiVencenzo, Mikal Bridges, and Eric Paschall. All but Paschall left early for the NBA. In other words, Villanova never got to cash in on the extra year the redshirt gave them. There was no downside to playing them that extra year, unless you argue that simply being on the court would have been harmful either physically or emotionally.
It helped the team ! What about the UW and what they got, what about what UVA and the players got. Hunter was slated for 5 minutes max but he was not strong enough. RS frosh year he averaged 19 minutes and did not start, came a long way from RS year, then started everygame as a grown man, won the ACC and the National Championship and became the 4th overall pick. He is two summers from graduating. They cashed in. Nova cashed in while they were there. They all met their dreams. They were not ready their first years, got great, won titles. Who cares if they stayed 4-5 years if everybody won ! They got better on a specific plan that having them available 5 minutes a game would not have.

It helped the team ! What about the UW and what they got, what about what UVA and the players got. Hunter was slated for 5 minutes max but he was not strong enough. RS frosh year he averaged 19 minutes and did not start, came a long way from RS year, then started everygame as a grown man, won the ACC and the National Championship and became the 4th overall pick. He is two summers from graduating. They cashed in. Nova cashed in while they were there. They all met their dreams. They were not ready their first years, got great, won titles. Who cares if they stayed 4-5 years if everybody won ! They got better on a specific plan that having them available 5 minutes a game would not have.
Hunter also left early for the NBA. Virginia got two years out of him instead of three or more.

Yes, the teams had great success. But not because those players I mentioned thrived in their redshirt fifth years. They never got that far. That fifth year is the dividend for the redshirt investment. If a player isn't going to be there for five years (or, alternatively, if the player only advances to a level you feel confident you should be recruiting over), then there is no downside to playing him every season.

Hunter also left early for the NBA. Virginia got two years out of him instead of three or more.

Yes, the teams had great success. But not because those players I mentioned thrived in their redshirt fifth years. They never got that far. That fifth year is the dividend for the redshirt investment. If a player isn't going to be there for five years (or, alternatively, if the player only advances to a level you feel confident you should be recruiting over), then there is no downside to playing him every season.
Bennett disagrees with you, so does, Gard, so does Wright and so do the players ! They got their dividend earlier. The first year is the investment that can not be made the same way in wasting on the bench. That is not how practice works with a green team against the starters, reserves rotating and redshirts doing extensive individual skill work in a severely time tested environment devoted largely to team practice a redshirt can focus on all the aspects i pointed it out. Hell, if Hunter played 5 years it means he did not get good enough fast enough to be drafted 4th. Plus they go 66-5 with him, win conference titles and the natty. No downside because if he does not get high 1st round grade he could have come back. There is so much flexibility in it. Brogdon stays 5 with the bad foot helping him on the decision, a burning desire to be in a elite grad program, invited to live where only the best students lived. He gets his masters, his ACC titles, becomes the only player in ACC history to be player of the year and defensive player of the year. Advanced age drops him to the 2nd rd on poor NBA scouting but now rocks at 22 million a year. There is simply no way you could out smart all those involved since everyone, including the fans got what they wanted. Now it is entirely plausible that we do not have those type of players or that level of teaching.

Last edited:

Bennett disagrees with you, so does, Gard, so does Wright and so do the players ! They got their dividend earlier. The first year is the investment that can not be made the same way in wasting on the bench. That is not how practice works with a green team against the starters, reserves rotating and redshirts doing extensive individual skill work in a severely time tested environment devoted largely to team practice a redshirt can focus on all the aspects i pointed it out. Hell, if Hunter played 5 years it means he did not get good enough fast enough to be drafted 4th.
Well, I suspect we won't come to an agreement. No worries! A couple final notes on your post above:

1. I'm not sure what "got their dividend early" means. A redshirt by definition allows for one extra year of college scholarship. Those players never used that extra year.

2. I'm also not sure what "wasting on the bench" means. If you're talking about games, not being on the floor as part of the active roster feels exactly the same as not being on the floor as a redshirt.

Those three coaches have had great success. But I don't see that success coming as a redshirt payoff. I would certainly argue that it's due to to other fine coaching qualities. Regardless, look for redshirting to be used less and less frequently.

This has been happening, but it's a kids choice. Most coaches would utilize it a lot more. Huggins mentioned in on a podcast last month I was listening to is another example. The older you are in college basketball the better (similar to college hockey and football).

This has been happening, but it's a kids choice. Most coaches would utilize it a lot more. Huggins mentioned in on a podcast last month I was listening to is another example. The older you are in college basketball the better (similar to college hockey and football).
Like I've said: coaches would do all kinds of things, probably almost anything, that they think would help them win more games.

Those things aren't necessarily what's best for the product. And hence, coaches don't get to make decisions like that, which is just fine.

It doesn’t appear like Pitino has traditional 2s and 3s. He has two wings on the floor with the primary ball handler. That may have been our personnel (short 3s; for what ended up 3 guard lineups). I like the potential depth of this squad (with everyone eligible). Lots of pieces to mix and match on both offense and defense. We need to keep at least 3 viable scoring threats on the floor (something we haven’t always been able to do when faced with fatigue, foul trouble, etc. But it seems like I over-value the potential of the squad every year, and some players disappoint or can’t defend or Richard doesn’t trust them enough.

It doesn’t appear like Pitino has traditional 2s and 3s. He has two wings on the floor with the primary ball handler. That may have been our personnel (short 3s; for what ended up 3 guard lineups). I like the potential depth of this squad (with everyone eligible). Lots of pieces to mix and match on both offense and defense. We need to keep at least 3 viable scoring threats on the floor (something we haven’t always been able to do when faced with fatigue, foul trouble, etc. But it seems like I over-value the potential of the squad every year, and some players disappoint or can’t defend or Richard doesn’t trust them enough.

This is solid. Positions (like 1,2,3,4,5) are pointless, it's about mixing and matching skills. Need at least 2 that can create their own shot and one that can shoot at minimum. Height is more or less irrelevant, length and athleticism are more important. Mitchell is an example of someone who'd maybe defend and protect the rim, but could be a guard offensively, Ihnen as well.

This is all a lot of fun but, in reality, the odds of there being a 2020-2021 basketball season are well under 50%. It just seems unlikely there will be a workable plan (beyond team quarantine) for the inevitable situation where a player gets sick or tests positive for Covid-19. Hope I am wrong but, sadly, none of these lineups may ever materialize.

This is all a lot of fun but, in reality, the odds of there being a 2020-2021 basketball season are well under 50%. It just seems unlikely there will be a workable plan (beyond team quarantine) for the inevitable situation where a player gets sick or tests positive for Covid-19. Hope I am wrong but, sadly, none of these lineups may ever materialize.
There will be a season. Things are looking up!

The start of the basketball season is a long, long, long time away. Football season too. It's only been seven weeks since Rudy Gobert tested positive and started the dominoes falling.

I think that the season will get played one way or another. We are not going to be able to go on this way. If the virus comes back it comes back. So does the flu which can be pretty deadly itself. They will have to find ways to manage it. If that means testing all of the players and refs and playing the games in empty arenas (I really doubt that it comes to that) then I think that's what they would do and rely on the TV revenue. It would be completely off the charts insane to stop living for another year. Especially for the players who have zero risk from this thing. It's far more dangerous for them to get in a car.

I think that the season will get played one way or another. We are not going to be able to go on this way. If the virus comes back it comes back. So does the flu which can be pretty deadly itself. They will have to find ways to manage it. If that means testing all of the players and refs and playing the games in empty arenas (I really doubt that it comes to that) then I think that's what they would do and rely on the TV revenue. It would be completely off the charts insane to stop living for another year. Especially for the players who have zero risk from this thing. It's far more dangerous for them to get in a car.

Too much common sense from you., Don't hear that perspective on news reports so methinks you are overly optimistic.

ICYMI - the NCAA is NOT recommending that the one-time transfer exception should be approved.

From 247 sports:

The NCAA DI Board of Directors has recommended against allowing a one-time transfer waiver opportunity for all DI student-athletes, the organization announced on Thursday. The development comes after the NCAA waiver working group previously recommended the board lift the moratorium on transfer legislation and consider proposals that could allow for a one-time transfer opportunity for athletes. Per the NCAA, waiver guidelines "can be changed at any time," and the matter could be voted by the NCAA D1 Council "as early as its May meeting."

Lets not go there (comparing flu or getting in your car to Covid-19...).

I don't think college sports will be played at all costs in 2020-2021. Football season will be the bell weather. If there are more than 200K active infections in July, I think its cancelled and then the dominoes will fall.

They're talking maybe early vaccines in Sept of this year.

I think there will be some level of fall football season, let alone basketball.

ICYMI - the NCAA is NOT recommending that the one-time transfer exception should be approved.

From 247 sports:

The NCAA DI Board of Directors has recommended against allowing a one-time transfer waiver opportunity for all DI student-athletes, the organization announced on Thursday. The development comes after the NCAA waiver working group previously recommended the board lift the moratorium on transfer legislation and consider proposals that could allow for a one-time transfer opportunity for athletes. Per the NCAA, waiver guidelines "can be changed at any time," and the matter could be voted by the NCAA D1 Council "as early as its May meeting."
Thanks.

Time to update that thread once again. These people really can't make up their minds.

Well, I suspect we won't come to an agreement. No worries! A couple final notes on your post above:

1. I'm not sure what "got their dividend early" means. A redshirt by definition allows for one extra year of college scholarship. Those players never used that extra year.

2. I'm also not sure what "wasting on the bench" means. If you're talking about games, not being on the floor as part of the active roster feels exactly the same as not being on the floor as a redshirt.

Those three coaches have had great success. But I don't see that success coming as a redshirt payoff. I would certainly argue that it's due to to other fine coaching qualities. Regardless, look for redshirting to be used less and less frequently.
UVA will still use it. They have players asking for it ! If you could see what happens to a redshirt at practice it is a far different usage of skill time then a reserve has. The early investment resulted in a better player, a better team, a balanced class. The dividend was the improvement, the academic advance, the wining , it all came early. It is all part of a carefully crafted master plan to be unlike anyone else in the ultimate effort to beat the blue bloods without cheat, without trying to beat them the way they play

Lets not go there (comparing flu or getting in your car to Covid-19...).

I already did. If you are below 65 years old you are much safer getting a case of covid than driving a car- just statistically speaking. No emotions- just a fact.

I don't think college sports will be played at all costs in 2020-2021. Football season will be the bell weather. If there are more than 200K active infections in July, I think its cancelled and then the dominoes will fall.
Say so long to our beloved country if we are still there in the fall. If they are still cancelling sports then they are still killing the economy. We have to suck it up and work through it.

I already did. If you are below 65 years old you are much safer getting a case of covid than driving a car- just statistically speaking. No emotions- just a fact.
bga1, I happen to agree with you that we will have sports this fall/winter. In person attendance might be limited or disallowed in some cases but I am pretty confident we can make it happen.

I'm curious where you get this claim from, though. I did a little digging and the most recent data I can find from the NHTSA says that in 2017 we had 34,560 car crash fatalities in the US. That works out to 1.17 deaths per 100 million miles traveled by car. If we assume 25,000 average car miles traveled per year, that means each your annual risk of dying in a car crash is 0.03%. That number is obviously dependent on things like safety features, actual number of miles driven (I average about 5K per year) etc. but I think that's a fair estimate. If you are just getting in the car for a 25 mile drive, that chance of dying drops to 0.00003% for the trip.

It's impossible for us to know what the true fatality rate is for COVID-19 because we simply don't have a good handle on the denominator: how many people have been infected. Based off our current confirmed cases, the fatality rate for all populations in the US is 5.8%. I think we have undertested so much that the real number might be closer to 0.5%-1.0%. In healthy people under 65, I agree with you that it is quite low. Maybe similar to the annual car crash number.

I do want to add that it is really important to consider people's co-morbidities in addition to age. A friend and former colleague of mine died at age 52 two weeks ago from COVID-19. She was obese and had some form of COPD, so she certainly had a higher risk. She was a middle school teacher and the entire school community is devastated. Unfortunately, we have a lot of teachers in America that are either older or have co-morbidities (heart disease, obesity, COPD, kidney disease, diabetes). We need to come up with a plan for how we can protect these people at the same time we get our economy going.

Last edited:

bga1, I happen to agree with you that we will have sports this fall/winter. In person attendance might be limited or disallowed in some cases but I am pretty confident we can make it happen.

I'm curious where you get this claim from, though. I did a little digging and the most recent data I can find from the NHTSA says that in 2017 we had 34,560 car crash fatalities in the US. That works out to 1.17 deaths per million miles traveled by car. If we assume 25,000 average car miles traveled per year, that means each your annual risk of dying in a car crash is 0.03%. That number is obviously dependent on things like safety features, actual number of miles driven (I average about 5K per year) etc. but I think that's a fair estimate. If you are just getting in the car for a 25 mile drive, that chance of dying drops to 0.00003% for the trip.

It's impossible for us to know what the true fatality rate is for COVID-19 because we simply don't have a good handle on the denominator: how many people have been infected. Based off our current confirmed cases, the fatality rate for all populations in the US is 5.8%. I think we have undertested so much that the real number might be closer to 0.5%-1.0%. In healthy people under 65, I agree with you that it is quite low. Maybe similar to the annual car crash number.

I do want to add that it is really important to consider people's co-morbidities in addition to age. A friend and former colleague of mine died at age 52 two weeks ago from COVID-19. She was obese and had some form of COPD, so she certainly had a higher risk. She was a middle school teacher and the entire school community is devastated. Unfortunately, we have a lot of teachers in America that are either older or have co-morbidities (heart disease, obesity, COPD, kidney disease, diabetes). We need to come up with a plan for how we can protect these people at the same time we get our economy going.
Close to 75% of the deaths in the US from Covid are people above 65 AND with co morbidity factors. If you are under 65 ARE HEALTHY and die of COVID- you got something similar in luck to being struck by lightning. I was unfair to car accidents by comparing the two. The stats are just overwhelming. The statistics are stunning.

From Minnesota cdc:

Age GroupPercent of CasesPercent of Deaths
0-5 years1%0%
6-19 years3%0%
20-29 years14%0%
30-39 years17%<1%
40-49 years15%1%
50-59 years16%4%
60-69 years12%12%
70+ years21%83%
Unknown/ missing<1%0%

Minnesota today had 24 die- 22 of them in nursing homes. Most of the people that die this year from this would have died anyway within the year. In Minnesota 95% plus are over 65. At the end of the year we will find that what covid did was steal deaths from other categories almost exclusively: heart attacks, lung disease, renal failure will all be down. The net will be the same rate of dying we have seen in other years per thousand. You can go back to the flu pandemic of 1957 which was 116,000 people dying in a 170 million population. That is the equivalent of 230,000 people dying this year from Covid in the US (which won't happen). Yet at the end of the year the death rate was down from 1956.

Close to 75% of the deaths in the US from Covid are people above 65 AND with co morbidity factors. If you are under 65 ARE HEALTHY and die of COVID- you got something similar in luck to being struck by lightning. I was unfair to car accidents by comparing the two. The stats are just overwhelming. The statistics are stunning.

From Minnesota cdc:

Age GroupPercent of CasesPercent of Deaths
0-5 years1%0%
6-19 years3%0%
20-29 years14%0%
30-39 years17%<1%
40-49 years15%1%
50-59 years16%4%
60-69 years12%12%
70+ years21%83%
Unknown/ missing<1%0%

Minnesota today had 24 die- 22 of them in nursing homes. Most of the people that die this year from this would have died anyway within the year. In Minnesota 95% plus are over 65. At the end of the year we will find that what covid did was steal deaths from other categories almost exclusively: heart attacks, lung disease, renal failure will all be down. The net will be the same rate of dying we have seen in other years per thousand. You can go back to the flu pandemic of 1957 which was 116,000 people dying in a 170 million population. That is the equivalent of 230,000 people dying this year from Covid in the US (which won't happen). Yet at the end of the year the death rate was down from 1956.
Thanks for the info. In the interest of not derailing another thread I'll leave it here. Or maybe we can move it the Stars vs. Coach em up thread or the Academic Rankings thread :LOL:

Top Bottom