2020-2021 Lineup Breakdown

If Peterson is eligible right away (I'm confident Robbins will get a waver regardless), I don't want a single player seeing more than 30 minutes other than Carr (and he's at 32 max), unless of course injuries force us to. There is solid depth everywhere next year. Let's use it to our advantage for the first time in many years.

Even if Curry ends up not being an option, we can go small ball and play Ihnen and Johnson together at the 4 and 5 when Robbins is on the bench. Even Omersa has played the 5 at times. Our athleticism and length can make up for not having a 7 footer on the floor. Lots of flexibility.

NBA Scouting Live calls Ihnen A tall athletic combo forward who may have been the best NBA prospect on the Gophers 19/20 roster.

I have had a change in heart and think the lineup will be this:

Carr
Gabe
Tre
Ihnen/Johnson
Robbins

Significant bench
Peterson Mashburn Ihnen/Johnson Omersa Curry

non significant Greenlee Mitchell Freeman

I like Jarvis' energy, but the less he plays for us the better IMO. As a spot guy to inject a little energy or to go hammer on a post player; he is a great athlete who won't be a very good basketball player - newer version of Wally.

I see Pitino trying to get players more rest this year and ideally limiting minutes to starters to about 25 minutes/game if possible but this is likely optimistic especially for center and pg. There is so much more depth this year I think he will try to keep the intensity level up for the whole game with more substitutions.

Position
Player
Minutes
C​
Robbins​
26​
C​
Omersa​
10​
C​
Freeman​
4​
PF​
Johnson​
25​
PF​
Curry​
10​
PF​
Mitchell​
5​
SF​
Peterson​
25​
SF​
Ihnen​
10​
SF​
Williams​
5​
SG​
Kalscheur​
25​
SG​
Williams​
10​
SG​
Mashburn​
5​
PG​
Carr​
28​
PG​
Mashburn​
7​
PG​
Greenlee​
4​
PG​
Conroy​
1​

Robbins:
Solid to very good player who will get the most minutes at what is our weakest position.

Omersa:
My absolute favorite player on the team. Plays great without the ball and good defense. His free throw shooting and shot is abysmal. I hope he works harder on his shot, free throws in the offense. Maybe he needs more work with the sports psychologists at the U as well as getting some arc in his shot. I see no other reasons shot should look so bad on the offensive end. He displayed some nice moves around the basket for the first time last year, lets hope we see more of those shots falling this year. I see him staying at his usual 10 minutes/game but could be marginally more or less depending on how he performs.

Freeman:
I would like to see him redshirt this year but doubt that is in the cards. Like his agility on the court as well as his free throws, he just needs more experience in practice and in games. I see his minutes staying at about 4minutes/game but playing in more games.

Johnson:
Will start and get most of the minutes, enough said.

Curry:
I don’t see him playing center as he didn’t seem to match up well 2 years ago with centers. I hope he performs better that 10 minutes/game but I don’t see him getting the 20 minutes/game he averaged his first 2 seasons.

Mitchell:
I think his year will mirror Ihnen’s Freshman year, few minutes early but finishing the year as a solid performer.

Peterson:
Will start the season but minutes will depend a lot on how Mitchell, Ihnen and Williams perform. I see his position as our position of most depth.

Ihnen:
I think he has the most upside for the season. Seems to be a potential star!

Williams:
He will need to improve his consistency to get close the 16minutes/game average he did last year. I expect him to do that but with increased depth I think his minutes will remain about the same.

Kalscheur:
If his 3 point shooting doesn’t get back to close to his freshman year numbers I could see his minutes decreasing even more, if the newcomers are able to perform.

Mashburn:
I think he will be similar to Williams a year ago but if he performs better I think he starts eating into Kalscheur and Williams’ minutes. I believe he will get more run at pg than sg because that is our weakest position as well is that is where he will need to develop his game to get to the next level. I am assuming there aren’t any 6’1” sg in the NBA but I could be very wrong since I don’t follow the NBA hardly at all.

Carr:
Just needs to improve his floater, 3 point shot and incrementally other places.

Greenlee:
Just needs to make better decisions and gain more experience.

Conroy:
Keep up the hard work and contributing where you can!

thoughts?

Agree with ^^^^. I think Gabe's minutes will go down to something like you've laid out, and his 3 point percentage up. This past year he expended a lot of energy playing D against whoever was the biggest outside scoring threat for the other team. I think being that focused on D impacted his shot. Giving him less minutes means his legs aren't as tired, which will result in an increased percentage from the 3pt line.

I'll play.

Count me in the camp that doesn't see Ihnen as a 3 man at all. I'd be shocked if he played any minutes there assuming Peterson is eligible to play right away and the perimeter group stays mostly healthy (never a guarantee of course).

Here's my rough idea of minute allocation not counting overtime games:
PG: Carr (33) Mashburn (18)
SG: Kalscheur (32)
SF: Peterson (23) Williams (14)
PF: Johnson (27) Ihnen (21)
C: Robbins (24) Curry/Omersa/Freeman (8)

Before people get bent out of shape over who starts, I don't really care who starts but that's what I would guess the minutes look like. That gives them an 8.5 man rotation which is pretty normal in college hoops nowadays. I'd prefer Kalscheur not play 32 minutes but Pitino trusts him a ton, he's valuable defensively, and I can't see Williams or Mashburn carving too many minutes away from him.

The backup center spot is a mish-mash of folks. In a perfect world, Curry can fill in those minutes when the team doesn't go small with Ihnen and Johnson together. I suspect Robbins will spend more than a few games with foul trouble as that's life in the Big 10 for inexperienced (to the league) bigs. If it isn't Curry, I suppose Omersa is fine for 5-8 minutes a night.

As much as we want Carr to play less minutes, top of the league guards play 35ish minutes a night. And in all liklihood, they'll be playing a lot of contested games, in which Pitino will ride him because of lack of trust in the rest of his team. That, and he's very in tune with the efficiency metrics and won't want to risk those numbers dropping because his best players aren't playing.

I think they'll have better depth than they've had. It's not high-end depth, but it's better. But I still think the backcourt will play 80 percent of the game if only because Pitino is coaching for his job and those two guys have a trustability factor to them.

Agreed with most all of this, Carr showed he is capable of playing 35+ minutes a game it just came back to bite is in the a couple games where he was clearly gassed after playing all 40 and especially the end of that double OT Purdue game. Your #s look pretty in line with mine. Feel the easiest to predict are Carr and Gabe at around 30-34 MPG and Johnson and Robins at around 25-28 MPG. From there, its no better than a hunch. Hopefully a few step up and their play demands they get that many minutes.

I see Pitino trying to get players more rest this year and ideally limiting minutes to starters to about 25 minutes/game if possible but this is likely optimistic especially for center and pg. There is so much more depth this year I think he will try to keep the intensity level up for the whole game with more substitutions.

Position
Player
Minutes
C​
Robbins​
26​
C​
Omersa​
10​
C​
Freeman​
4​
PF​
Johnson​
25​
PF​
Curry​
10​
PF​
Mitchell​
5​
SF​
Peterson​
25​
SF​
Ihnen​
10​
SF​
Williams​
5​
SG​
Kalscheur​
25​
SG​
Williams​
10​
SG​
Mashburn​
5​
PG​
Carr​
28​
PG​
Mashburn​
7​
PG​
Greenlee​
4​
PG​
Conroy​
1​

Robbins:
Solid to very good player who will get the most minutes at what is our weakest position.

Omersa:
My absolute favorite player on the team. Plays great without the ball and good defense. His free throw shooting and shot is abysmal. I hope he works harder on his shot, free throws in the offense. Maybe he needs more work with the sports psychologists at the U as well as getting some arc in his shot. I see no other reasons shot should look so bad on the offensive end. He displayed some nice moves around the basket for the first time last year, lets hope we see more of those shots falling this year. I see him staying at his usual 10 minutes/game but could be marginally more or less depending on how he performs.

Freeman:
I would like to see him redshirt this year but doubt that is in the cards. Like his agility on the court as well as his free throws, he just needs more experience in practice and in games. I see his minutes staying at about 4minutes/game but playing in more games.

Johnson:

Curry:
I don’t see him playing center as he didn’t seem to match up well 2 years ago with centers. I hope he performs better that 10 minutes/game but I don’t see him getting the 20 minutes/game he averaged his first 2 seasons.

Mitchell:
I think his year will mirror Ihnen’s Freshman year, few minutes early but finishing the year as a solid performer.

Peterson:
Will start the season but minutes will depend a lot on how Mitchell, Ihnen and Williams perform. I see his position as our position of most depth.

Ihnen:

Williams:
He will need to improve his consistency to get close the 16minutes/game average he did last year. I expect him to do that but with increased depth I think his minutes will remain about the same.

Kalscheur:
If his 3 point shooting doesn’t get back to close to his freshman year numbers I could see his minutes decreasing even more, if the newcomers are able to perform.

Mashburn:
I think he will be similar to Williams a year ago but if he performs better I think he starts eating into Kalscheur and Williams’ minutes. I believe he will get more run at pg than sg because that is our weakest position as well is that is where he will need to develop his game to get to the next level. I am assuming there aren’t any 6’1” sg in the NBA but I could be very wrong since I don’t follow the NBA hardly at all.

Carr:

Greenlee:

Conroy:

thoughts?
Ihnen most certainly will get more than 10 minutes a game. Also mashburn will get more than 12.

Position
Player
Minutes
C​
Robbins​
26​
C​
Omersa​
10​
C​
Freeman​
4​
PF​
Johnson​
25​
PF​
Curry​
10​
PF​
Mitchell​
5​
SF​
Peterson​
25​
SF​
Ihnen​
10​
SF​
Williams​
5​
SG​
Kalscheur​
25​
SG​
Williams​
10​
SG​
Mashburn​
5​
PG​
Carr​
28​
PG​
Mashburn​
7​
PG​
Greenlee​
4​
PG​
Conroy​
1​

Robbins:

Omersa:

Freeman:

Johnson:

Curry:

Mitchell:

Peterson:

Ihnen:

Williams:

Kalscheur:

Mashburn:

Carr:

Greenlee:

Conroy:

thoughts?
Nice effort there Ragnor- well laid out! Question for you- I agree with you that Ihnen is a potential star but you have him in for only 10 minutes.....

Position
Player
Minutes
C​
Robbins​
26​
C​
Omersa​
10​
C​
Freeman​
4​
PF​
Johnson​
25​
PF​
Curry​
10​
PF​
Mitchell​
5​
SF​
Peterson​
25​
SF​
Ihnen​
10​
SF​
Williams​
5​
SG​
Kalscheur​
25​
SG​
Williams​
10​
SG​
Mashburn​
5​
PG​
Carr​
28​
PG​
Mashburn​
7​
PG​
Greenlee​
4​
PG​
Conroy​
1​

Robbins:

Omersa:

Freeman:

Johnson:

Curry:

Mitchell:

Peterson:

Ihnen:

Williams:

Kalscheur:

Mashburn:

Carr:

Greenlee:

Conroy:

thoughts?

Nice layout, I think your minutes would be pretty solid and I like no one over 30. Not sure how likely that is to happen though with how quick Pitino's hook is on certain players and how long some others' leash seems to be. Hopefully they schedule an easier non-con so that we can develop a rotation like that early on and then be able to trust it when conference season rolls around, if not Carr and Gabe will be mid 30's every bigten game. And agree with the others maybe 2 of omersa/mitchell/petessons minutes each to Inhen.

By all reports Mashburn is seemingly more college ready than a lot of kids and is a very capable defender maybe letting Pitino rest Gabe more often while Mashburn guards the other teams best guard. Definitely agree he could earn more minutes.

Carr has to play 30 plus unless there are a dozen blowout wins. Ihnen plays 18 or more and around that for Mashburn.

You can take out greenlee and conroys 5 combined minutes and i would say add 4 to ihnen as I think freeman and jarvis combine for 10 a game

I decided to try my hand in it real quick. Some positions were meaningless, just put it on there to show 40 minutes for each spot.

PG- carr 30
PG-mashburn 10
SG-Kalsceur 25
SG-Mashburn 10
SG-Williams 5
SF-Peterson 22
SF-Williams 12
SF-Ihnen-6
PF-Johnson-23
PF-Ihnen-12
PF-Omersa- 3
PF-Curry-1
PF-mitchell-1
C- Robbins-23
C-Omersa-5
C-Curry-4
C-Freeman-5
C-Mitchell-3

The one thing we've seen from Pitino pretty consistently over the years is that he tends to trust more guys than others. I know this is true for most coaches but with Pitino those lack of trust guys rarely see the floor and minutes bottom out. I hope that changes this year. Have some patience with some of these guys as they make mistakes. I think we'd see a nice payoff at the end of the year. Maybe a little more confident play from them.

I think he trusts Gabe and Carr for sure out of those coming back. I'd like to think trust develops quickly with Johnson and Robbins. Mashburn and Peterson gonna have to earn it. Tre and Ihnen still have to earn it. Jarvis definitely still has to earn it. Curry is dependent on injury. I don't expect to see Greenlee, Freeman or Mitchell this year. Maybe Freeman for a couple minutes here and there if Curry can't go.

I decided to try my hand in it real quick. Some positions were meaningless, just put it on there to show 40 minutes for each spot.

PG- carr 30
PG-mashburn 10
SG-Kalsceur 25
SG-Mashburn 10
SG-Williams 5
SF-Peterson 22
SF-Williams 12
SF-Ihnen-6
PF-Johnson-23
PF-Ihnen-12
PF-Omersa- 3
PF-Curry-1
PF-mitchell-1
C- Robbins-23
C-Omersa-5
C-Curry-4
C-Freeman-5
C-Mitchell-3
If Mitchell is at 3 he should 100% redshirt.

The Gophers added talent. How much? TBD.

I like that they got longer and appear to have added some versatility.

I really like that there will be some competition and we will find out who buys in who is unselfish and who wants to work hard.

PG- carr 30
PG-mashburn 10
SG-Kalsceur 25
SG-Mashburn 10
SG-Williams 5
SF-Peterson 22
SF-Williams 12
SF-Ihnen-6
PF-Johnson-23
PF-Ihnen-12
PF-Omersa- 3
PF-Curry-1
PF-mitchell-1
C- Robbins-23
C-Omersa-5
C-Curry-4
C-Freeman-5
C-Mitchell-3
No way I see 12 players getting this many solid minutes. I just dont know who's minutes to cut yet.

Nice effort there Ragnor- well laid out! Question for you- I agree with you that Ihnen is a potential star but you have him in for only 10 minutes.....
Yeah, potentially a big flaw. The 10 minutes would be in every game compared to averaging 10 minutes last year but in just about ~1/2 the games? so it would be a net increase. I think he still needs to get a bit more gritty close to the basket and I don't see Pitino giving some of the deep bench players even less time if he really wants them to hang around past this year. This might be where the rubber meets the road. If some players really blossomed we might see some 2nd line players earning close to the same minutes as starters. That would probably be ideal. thanks

You can take out greenlee and conroys 5 combined minutes and i would say add 4 to ihnen as I think freeman and jarvis combine for 10 a game
You are probably more realistic than me. I just went with 4 because he averaged 3 last season, in the games he played, which weren't that many.

I am getting bored with no sports. So with the lineup seemingly set for next year’s team lets break down next year’s team. Assuming everyone is immediately eligible, Carr returns, limited injuries.

Returning: Carr, Curry, Freeman, Greenlee, Inhen, Kalscheur, Omersa, Williams, Conroy
Recruits: Mashburn Jr., Mitchell
Transfer in: Robbins, Johnson, Peterson
Departures: Oturo, Demir, Hurt, Rudrud, Willis

My first shot at the minute’s breakdown:
PG: Carr (32), Mashburn Jr. (8)
SG: Kalscheur (30) Mashburn Jr. (8) Williams (4)
F: Inhen (15) Peterson (20), Williams (5),
F: Johnson (28), Inhen (8), Omersa (4)
C: Robbins (25), Curry (10), Mitchell (5)
Mop up: Greenlee, Freeman, Conroy

Player by Player
  • Carr: Assuming he returns. Look to improve his all-around shooting efficiency and continue to distribute (dribble less) will play all the minutes he can handle.
  • Kalscheur: Need to get back to shooting over 40% from deep, keep defending at a high level, get to the foul line more.
  • Curry: Real wildcard, hopefully at minimum he can provide 8-10 backup minutes at center.
  • Freeman: Tough to envision him getting into the rotation unless Curry just cant go.
  • Greenlee: w/o injury or Carr departure i dont see many minutes for him.
  • Inhen: Hard to keep him off the court if he continues to shoot the 3 how he did towards the end of the season, hope he continues to improve the rest of his game. Hope he adds something to his offensive game. Could make a jump.
  • Omersa: I think he will find 4-6 minutes a game maybe more depending on Curry’s health. Looks to be getting passed up on this roster otherwise.
  • Williams: Looked solid when he got extended run. Did not really look like he knew what his role was offensively, hopefully as that becomes clearly defined it leads to increased shooting efficiencies. Looks like he has the tools to contribute on both ends of the court. Could surprise and get more minutes just not sure where they come from.
  • Mashburn Jr:, Looks like he can score and shoot it well. Hopefully, his ball handling is good enough to spell Carr and Gabe for 10-12 minutes each. Everything I have read point to him being a plus defender.
  • Mitchell: Don’t know too much about him. Seeing his build and limited highlight videos all im hoping for is something similar to what Inhen had this year; getting bigger and keep developing.
  • Robbins: Looks to be locked into the starting role. Looking to continue his upward trend and grow into a potential NBA caliber player.
  • Johnson: Also looks to be locked into starting. Limited videos on him seems like your prototypical high energy 4 man, good rebounder and gets to the rim. Gets to the FT line quite a bit shoots ~74%.
  • Peterson: Looks to be a versatile wing player that we were lacking this year. Got to the line a fair bit shot 82%. If he can shoot anywhere mid 30's or better from 3 I could see him eating into some of Inhens and therefore Johnson’s minutes as the season progresses.
  • Conroy: Will be there.
Hard to envision a world where Carr and Gabe don’t get 30+ minutes a night, but would hope to get Mashburn more time. Lots of bodies at the 3-4 interesting to see how that shakes out, Inhen is the one starter I would be the most hesitant on. Offensively I am hoping for more motion and less carr dribbling; with the additions of Mashburn and the 3 transfers i think we should have more options to create for themselves if needed. Still not sure where scoring will come against defensively sound teams. Defensively we have a ton of length and versatility, I think we could see marked improvement there. All said, lots of hopefullies, could be’s, wildcards, and potential eligibility issues but this is the time of the year for that. This seems like a team that should have more depth than we are used to. Will be fun to watch the year play out and see what this team turns into. Not sure I am ready to give a season projection yet but my outlook defnietly looks more upbeat.
I pretty much agree with this, but with more minutes for Williams and less for Peterson.

Ihnen better get at least 20 minutes a game. Especially if like Ragnor, you think he is our BEST player.

Position
Player
Minutes
C​
Robbins​
26​
C​
Omersa​
10​
C​
Freeman​
4​
PF​
Johnson​
25​
PF​
Curry​
10​
PF​
Mitchell​
5​
SF​
Peterson​
25​
SF​
Ihnen​
10​
SF​
Williams​
5​
SG​
Kalscheur​
25​
SG​
Williams​
10​
SG​
Mashburn​
5​
PG​
Carr​
28​
PG​
Mashburn​
7​
PG​
Greenlee​
4​
PG​
Conroy​
1​

Robbins:

Omersa:

Freeman:

Johnson:

Curry:

Mitchell:

Peterson:

Ihnen:

Williams:

Kalscheur:

Mashburn:

Carr:

Greenlee:

Conroy:

thoughts?
:sleep:. I was hoping for a pie chart!

I'm confident Robbins will get a waver regardless
Disagree. He shouldn't anyway. The language of the family hardship waiver is very clear: it's for when an athlete needs to move back (or closer to) home, to take care of sick/ill close family member. Not at all the case here.

Moot point. Confident the DI Council will vote to approve the changes to general waiver guidelines, for first time requests (which is the case for both, here).

I love Currys game, but i dont think you can count on him at all next year

9 man rotation - nice depth. I see a tourney team, as long as Gabe's shooting returns to form and Carr comes back

PG: Carr, Mashburn
SG: Kalscheur, Mashburn
F: Peterson, Williams
F: Johnson, Inhen
C: Robbins, Omersa
Mop up: , Mitchell, Greenlee, Freeman, Conroy
Wild Card: Curry

Side Note: Minutes allocation is a silly exercise.

I love Currys game, but i dont think you can count on him at all next year

9 man rotation - nice depth. I see a tourney team, as long as Gabe's shooting returns to form and Carr comes back

PG: Carr, Mashburn
SG: Kalscheur, Mashburn
F: Peterson, Williams
F: Johnson, Inhen
C: Robbins, Omersa
Mop up: , Mitchell, Greenlee, Freeman, Conroy
Wild Card: Curry

Side Note: Minutes allocation is a silly exercise.
This looks correct, for whatever little my opinion is worth. Like Omersa's "energy" (as one person put it) to play defense and get rebounds. Especially if Curry can help out, then we don't have to worry so much about Omersa fouling out or even really fouling big men, unless they're good FT shooters.

This looks correct, for whatever little my opinion is worth. Like Omersa's "energy" (as one person put it) to play defense and get rebounds. Especially if Curry can help out, then we don't have to worry so much about Omersa fouling out or even really fouling big men, unless they're good FT shooters.
I'm a big advocate of hustle and energy guys. Unless your star players are really unselfish, you need guys that dont need the ball and are willing to do the dirty work. Only so much basketball to go around.
Omersa is Jr next season, we should be able to count on him.

Pitino has never had a roster this deep with so much length and versatility, assuming all are eligible. Now that he has more bullets in the gun will he pull the trigger on the strategy of pressing more on defense and pushing the pace on offense?

Top Bottom