2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Nebraska getting run by OSU. I think Huskers have usurped Rutgers in battle for worst basketball/football combo in big ten.

There's some truth to this, but I'd push back simply on the idea that only one team wins every year, and if this team wins, then that team's coach gets the 'how did he not win more championships' treatment.

You see this a lot with coaches like Calipari, Coach K, Williams, Self etc. but for all the coaches that overachieve, how many have much to show for it? Izzo has one title to show for all his overachieving. Bennett has one title to show for his overachieving. Most people acknowledge these coaches as the elite of the elite, but only one team wins the title every year. And the list is pretty short of coaches who have more than two titles.

I don't remember which teams won when Dean Smith was running UNC but I'd bet there were some damn good teams that if you apply context - it wasn't a shock that UNC didn't win the title.

This reminds me a bit of the folks talking about how crazy it is that Russell Wilson has never won an MVP earlier in the year when he was dominating. Sure it seems weird that a guy as good as Wilson hasn't won an MVP. Until you think about the last few MVPs and try to figure out how in any world he would've been the MVP.

Context matters - though in this black and white world we live in I know that it's just easier and juicier to focus on the sweeping big picture.

Obviously there is a lot of varied opinions about the local coach. Kinda the same with Roy? Half and half between fans loving him and fans wanting to move on sound about right?

Nebraska getting run by OSU. I think Huskers have usurped Rutgers in battle for worst basketball/football combo in big ten.

Turned it on and the score was 70-29 with like 8 mins left in the game :oops:

Thank goodness they made that coaching change.... (sarcasm)

There's some truth to this, but I'd push back simply on the idea that only one team wins every year, and if this team wins, then that team's coach gets the 'how did he not win more championships' treatment.

You see this a lot with coaches like Calipari, Coach K, Williams, Self etc. but for all the coaches that overachieve, how many have much to show for it? Izzo has one title to show for all his overachieving. Bennett has one title to show for his overachieving. Most people acknowledge these coaches as the elite of the elite, but only one team wins the title every year. And the list is pretty short of coaches who have more than two titles.

I don't remember which teams won when Dean Smith was running UNC but I'd bet there were some damn good teams that if you apply context - it wasn't a shock that UNC didn't win the title.

This reminds me a bit of the folks talking about how crazy it is that Russell Wilson has never won an MVP earlier in the year when he was dominating. Sure it seems weird that a guy as good as Wilson hasn't won an MVP. Until you think about the last few MVPs and try to figure out how in any world he would've been the MVP.

Context matters - though in this black and white world we live in I know that it's just easier and juicier to focus on the sweeping big picture.
Think of the guys who never won one. Or guys that never made a final 4 ! That is why winning your conference matters. You see guys stack those up when they are great. Dean Smith had to go against John Wooden, Denny Crum and Bob Knight and coach K. Plus he coached when you had to winn your conference to go in some of his years. He had to get past David Thompson. I would not bet against Bennett getting another one. He will be loaded up in 20 months, although i do not think he will go that long. Look at National Coach of the year awards, AP and Iba. only living member with 3 Iba's. Celebrate those conference titles, players and coaches think about those all the time.

Indiana - Penn St in OT. Loser falls to 0-3 joining MSU.

I didn't get to see much of the game but that was a really soft call that sent Jackson-Davis to the line at the end of regulation.

Funny that it even went OT given IU shooting such a high percentage. Looks like PSU taking and making more threes got them back into it after being down 12 in the 2nd half.

Kerwin Walton hit a few threes in the loss. Had he stayed home he'd be playing on a ranked team!
Kids think it is cool to play for that brand, to play where Jordan played, to play for a hall of fame coach. And to play against Duke. Pre Covid, he thought it would be in front of 20,000 fans minimum.Tons of UNC and Duke gear in the west metro high schools.

You’re referring to the 7-1 #14 ranked Rutgers BB? Interesting.

You’re referring to the 7-1 #14 ranked Rutgers BB? Interesting.
I think he's referring to how, just a few years ago, Rutgers was in the basement of the conference in both football and basketball, and now their basketball team has gotten much better, while all signs point to Nebraska being the worst basketball team in the Big Ten and toward the bottom in football now as well.

Obviously there is a lot of varied opinions about the local coach. Kinda the same with Roy? Half and half between fans loving him and fans wanting to move on sound about right?

I don't pay as much attention to the UNC message boards as I do these ones but yeah I tend to think there is some more of that heating up. Roy has always had a contingent that don't think he's a good coach who has simply lucked into some incredible jobs. I think he's a good coach - though not elite anymore. I do wonder how many more years he's got left because firing a coach who is as connected to UNC as Roy Williams is feels unrealistic.

But I'd by lying if I've been wondering how much more he's got left because it's gotten uncharacteristically bad over the last couple years.

I don't pay as much attention to the UNC message boards as I do these ones but yeah I tend to think there is some more of that heating up. Roy has always had a contingent that don't think he's a good coach who has simply lucked into some incredible jobs. I think he's a good coach - though not elite anymore. I do wonder how many more years he's got left because firing a coach who is as connected to UNC as Roy Williams is feels unrealistic.

But I'd by lying if I've been wondering how much more he's got left because it's gotten uncharacteristically bad over the last couple years.

Yeah, i dont know why anyone would want to take over at unc or duke. Bar has been set so high seems like would be impossible to meet expectations.

Jericho Sims played a great game in Texas' domination of Kansas at the Phog

11 pts on 5-6 shooting, 13 rebs and great D

Jericho Sims played a great game in Texas' domination of Kansas at the Phog

11 pts on 5-6 shooting, 13 rebs and great D

Saw that. Wonder if kansas is missing players?

Iowa squeaks out a road win over Rutgers...

Why does Marquette suck so much? They have really good wins over Wisconsin and Creighton. Otherwise they just look weak.

Poorly coached. In other news PSU and UW postponed .

Interesting. Despite their 16 point halftime deficit....they came back and won. Should never have been in that position to begin with.

Watched the first half of Gonzaga and SF, talk about free flowing offense. But then both seemed to have players who can consistently hit shots. Don’t leave anybody open on those two teams, you will pay dearly. Back screens, moving without the ball, unselfish passing all over the floor, quite enjoyable to watch actually. SF doesn’t even play with an actual person in the post. Run their offense from outside the paint.

Maryland up early on Indiana. Unfortunately another game tha needs to be watched with mute applied.

Nebraska at Purdue postponed due to Covid
Tough break for the Boilers. As close to a guaranteed win as there is in the conference.

I wonder if this gets worse closer to the end of the season when teams are playing the string out and players are not as careful as they might be now.

Top Bottom