2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Clippard was a good addition to what should be a strong bullpen. Hill, Bailey, and keeping Pineda were good moves. Every player they've signed has been good, but there's still work to do.

If they can add Donaldson, that would be tremendous. Trading for a number 1 or 2 starter would be huge.

Clippard was a good addition to what should be a strong bullpen. Hill, Bailey, and keeping Pineda were good moves. Every player they've signed has been good, but there's still work to do.

If they can add Donaldson, that would be tremendous. Trading for a number 1 or 2 starter would be huge.
Yup. It's early, and the moves so far have been completely fine in my opinion. No big splash, and that makes everyone upset, but sometimes the best move is no move at all if the price is too high.

What I think the Hill and Bailey signings will do is now the young SP the Twins have; Dobnak, Thorpe, Smeltzer, Graterol, Alcala, will be able to be brought up as injury fill-ins to cut their teeth further instead of relying on them 100% as full time starters.

I still think more moves are coming but IMHO, this FO has earned the right for the fans to be a little patient until at least March 1.

The Twins need to either sign Donaldson and trade for a pitcher or trade for Price and sign a cheap 3B/1B.

The added 4th year to the Atlanta offer for Donaldson is a bad deal. Can't imagine he will sign here now.

Like everyone else, I'm sick and tired of cheap ownership, but 4 years and 110 million for Josh Donaldson makes no sense to me. Mike Moustakas got 64 million over 4 years. No way is Donaldson worth 10 million plus per year than Moose.

Like everyone else, I'm sick and tired of cheap ownership, but 4 years and 110 million for Josh Donaldson makes no sense to me. Mike Moustakas got 64 million over 4 years. No way is Donaldson worth 10 million plus per year than Moose.

Huge pass.

I'm not particularly heart-broken over Donaldson. But we are sitting with a terrible rotation and a $110 million payroll and zero FA's left to spend significant $ on. The exact same payroll we had 10 years ago and $30-40 million less than it should be. Falvine couldn't have screwed up this off-season much worse than they did.

I'm not particularly heart-broken over Donaldson. But we are sitting with a terrible rotation and a $110 million payroll and zero FA's left to spend significant $ on. The exact same payroll we had 10 years ago and $30-40 million less than it should be. Falvine couldn't have screwed up this off-season much worse than they did.
That's why there's do much frustration. If the reports are accurate, they tried to go big and failed at every turn. So, now what?

That's why there's do much frustration. If the reports are accurate, they tried to go big and failed at every turn. So, now what?
Trade for David Price is about the only move left. Eat $25/15/15 of his contract and make Boston eat $41 million. Give them a 10-15 ranked prospect.

Pretty good article here in The Athletic about the Twins shifting focus for the offseason to improve the team; and surprisingly that they are not completely out of the Donaldson sweepstakes just yet.

As the Twins wait for Donaldson...

Apparently the trade market has heated up a bit in the last 3 days or so.

per Shooter:

If it goes to arbitration, it looks like Twins starter Jose Berrios will end up winning his $4.4 million salary request for this season. The Twins have offered $4.025 million. The last time the Twins lost an arbitration was 14 years ago to starter Kyle Lohse, who ended up with $3.95 million. The Twins offered $3.4 million.

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Rich Hill, the veteran lefthander signed by the Twins on Dec. 31, has the sixth-best strikeout rate per nine innings of any pitcher with at least 50 starts since 2015. Only Chris Sale, Max Scherzer, Robbie Ray, Yu Darvish and Stephen Strasburg have done better.

• Twins General Manager Thad Levine on the chance that Miguel Sano could wind up at first base: “It’s a consideration. He has played first base in the past in the major leagues. He always rises to the occasion, and I think he does a nice job over there. We like the fact that he can still play at third base.”

Win Twins!!

The Sano extension is reasonable. Taking Berrios to arbitration over $300K is not.

Nice of MLB to send a message to all teams by hammering the Astros higher ups.
To bad the NCAA doesn't do the same for the cheaters.

Nice of MLB to send a message to all teams by hammering the Astros higher ups.
To bad the NCAA doesn't do the same for the cheaters.
The MLB has a mechanism of controlling this, and it's the other team's owners. If one or only a few teams are cheating, the owners can gang up and fire the commissioner if there is no action taken. The NCAA on the other hand, has very little incentive to stop cheating. If cheating results in more $, there is even less incentive. And as has become painfully clear, the NCAA holds $$ above pretty much everything else.

The MLB has a mechanism of controlling this, and it's the other team's owners. If one or only a few teams are cheating, the owners can gang up and fire the commissioner if there is no action taken. The NCAA on the other hand, has very little incentive to stop cheating. If cheating results in more $, there is even less incentive. And as has become painfully clear, the NCAA holds $$ above pretty much everything else.
True. But MLB still came down a lot harder on Houston than the NFL did on the Patriots.

It’s a farce. The owner of the Astros should be suspended from all team activities for two years or forced to sell the club. He was at all of the games in great seats when the drum was banging away.

Now the Red Sox just fired Cora! (He had been the bench coach for the Astros.)

It's not my money, but I wouldn't have signed off on 92 million for a 34-year-old, but I fully support ownership finally making a substantial free agent splash.

Top Bottom