2014 Minnesota Commits - Josh Martin & Nate Mason (youtube 12-17-13)

I was able to watch Morris play tonight against NWFSC.

First -- For the posters slamming Morris, if you saw what Carlos has to do an a team that lost all of their inside presence, maybe you wouldn't post the crap you have been posting.

Morris started out slow because he was penetrating but Chipola's inside guys did not make themselves available, so he had a few turnovers. From the middle of the first half on, Carlos played very well. He was hitting a majority of his 3s (NWFSC has not posted Chipola's stats, just their own so I can't give a percentage),he played tough defense and was a leader on the court. The majority of the time Carlos had to go up against 6' 8" or bigger guys on defense because he was the second tallest player Chipola had on the floor. On offense, Sam Cassell Jr. and Carlos were the only real options that Chipola had. I counted 8 3's from Cassell, with 5 or 6 of those in the first half.

My scouting report from just one game -- Carlos is a pretty slim guy and will need to add some muscle prior to next year. He looks to get his teammates involved which is a rarity in Juco ball (at least in this conference). He is pretty long and athletic. He does the little things and has good court awareness. At least tonight he looked like a little shorter, little slimmer Austin Hollins; except once he started looking for his shot, he hit his 3 pointers with what seemed like a good percentage. He did penetrate and look to dish or shoot runners in the lane. He took it to the rim a few times. He did not shy away from contact or mixing it up inside even with his slight build. I think he will be a nice addition and will contribute a good amount next year. I don't expect that he will come in and average 18 ppg. He will be a good solid player on both ends of the court that will probably need to be encouraged to shoot more.

Rebounds, steals, deflections, limiting the opponent's best perimeter player, could go on and on... but apparently they only help your team win if you're a big man or a pg. I would love to hear the logic in that.

There is no need for a SF to know how to play defense. They should just stay on the offensive end.

Offensive woes lately? Try single digits in 37 of 67 BIG games. And the "little things that help the team win" comment works for big men and point guards, not your shooting guard.

I am not trying to blame the teams woes of late on Austin. I personally believe Carlos Morris will have a better conference season next year than Austin has had in his career. I understand if folks disagree.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Next?

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Next?

Really excited for this class, I think the guys we are getting improve our weaknesses. Hopefully we can get some postseason experience this year and make a run in the dance next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still haven't seen the box score for Chipola last night. Posters on here are talking about Morris replacing Austin at SF. Although both are listed as 6' 4", Chipola probably rounded up the listed heights for their players a little more. I noticed Austin is listed at 190 pounds. If that is true, then Morris is probably 170 or so. What all this means is our small lineup gets smaller with Morris if he plays Austin's role.

I still haven't seen the box score for Chipola last night. Posters on here are talking about Morris replacing Austin at SF. Although both are listed as 6' 4", Chipola probably rounded up the listed heights for their players a little more. I noticed Austin is listed at 190 pounds. If that is true, then Morris is probably 170 or so. What all this means is our small lineup gets smaller with Morris if he plays Austin's role.

Meh, Josh martin makes it much, much bigger. I have no problem rolling with Mathieu, Dre, and Morris if that is what Pitino decides. This isn't the NBA.

We could really use a wing in this class. Lack of size and athleticism at the 3 and 4 will be tough to overcome.

Found an article about the game that said he scored 29 and was 6-6 from deep.

I posted earlier that he was hitting a majority of his 3's but didn't realize he didn't miss from deep. He and Cassell Jr. are really the only players Chipola has right now. The other guys were playing hard but Morris and Cassell carried the team.

Carlos Morris led Chipola with 29 points. (still no box score yet...)

Raiders Down Chipola 90-83
http://nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140206wm07uf

Carlos Morris led Chipola with 29 points. (still no box score yet...)

Raiders Down Chipola 90-83
http://nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140206wm07uf

Plus Martin won again...
Big third quarter leads Bothell past Newport
by REPORTER STAFF, Bothell Reporter Reporter
Feb 5, 2014 at 11:37AM

The Bothell High School boys basketball team used a big third quarter to defeated Newport 72-60 Tuesday night.

The Cougars began the game with a four point lead but the Knights cut that advantage in half by halftime. But the third quarter would prove to be decisive, as Bothell went on a 23-14 run and held on through the fourth quarter.

Josh Martin led Bothell with 32 points, while teammates Josh Kollman (18 points) and Peyton Cordova-Smith (10 points) finished in double figures.
http://www.bothell-reporter.com/sports/243743361.html

REVOKE HIS SCHOLARSHIP!!1!!!1!

One good game, he must be better than Austin. I bet the fans at UAB and Seton Hall are slashing their wrists over the news. 10 made three pointers in the last eight games. Sounds like we're going dancing next season.

One good game, he must be better than Austin. I bet the fans at UAB and Seton Hall are slashing their wrists over the news. 10 made three pointers in the last eight games. Sounds like we're going dancing next season.

Vincent Grier averaged 17 points per game at Dixie College and had an ugly outside shot- but it turned out he could play a little. Not saying Morris is Grier or anything like him, but let's let him get here and see what he can do. So far I like coach P's ability to bring a guy in the fits.

I don't understand why you have to rip the kid every time his box score is posted. You're putting yourself in a situation where you're going to have to cheer against the kid. Because if he pans out you are going to look like a fool. You'll be in the same class as GW and his 2% prediction.

Bitter, party of two.

I don't understand why you have to rip the kid every time his box score is posted. You're putting yourself in a situation where you're going to have to cheer against the kid. Because if he pans out you are going to look like a fool. You'll be in the same class as GW and his 2% prediction.

I'm not in any situation. This isn't the first Gopher recruit I didn't much care for, only the first under the protective umbrella of the Sweathogs and their zombielike devotion to Coach P. If he's a below average BIG player, I'm a visionary right?

I'm not in any situation. This isn't the first Gopher recruit I didn't much care for, only the first under the protective umbrella of the Sweathogs and their zombielike devotion to Coach P. If he's a below average BIG player, I'm a visionary right?

Have you ever seen him play? All this hatred for someone who is having to play out of position and has defenses keying on him. Do you hate him because of his statistics, his name, what someone wrote on a recruiting site, a short video?? What are you basing your hatred on?

Have you ever seen him play? All this hatred for someone who is having to play out of position and has defenses keying on him. Do you hate him because of his statistics, his name, what someone wrote on a recruiting site, a short video?? What are you basing your hatred on?

You're basing your opinion on having watched him play one game, which was probably the best game of his JUCO career? Why not do a little research before you overreact? I'm a long time member of the Gopher Faithful, I see nothing at all that shows he will be an average B1G player. Better than Austin, a comparison to Grier, he must be good because of Coach P's track record with JUCO's Mathieu and Malik? Give me a break.

I see you ducked my question. This JUCO conference is in my backyard and I've seen players come through here for 15 years. I follow BB very closely and have done more research than you based on your outrageous statements concerning Carlos Morris. I've even spoken with Coach Haskins when he was at a game back when the college was called OWCC.

Again, what are you basing your hatred on. You've never seen him play!!

I see you ducked my question. This JUCO conference is in my backyard and I've seen players come through here for 15 years. I follow BB very closely and have done more research than you based on your outrageous statements concerning Carlos Morris. I've even spoken with Coach Haskins when he was at a game back when the college was called OWCC.

Again, what are you basing your hatred on. You've never seen him play!!

Dude, HowieWowie PLAYED basketball....

Nate wins 94-56 over Tampa Bay Christian (February 8, 2014 )
Maura 2, Turner 31, Francis 10, Chester 17, Mason 18, Miller 2, Buford 8, Doumbia 6
http://schools.jacksonville.com/sports/basketball.php?game=7468

Morris loses 68-64 (February 8, 2014 )
The quest to reach the state junior college tournament moved closer for the Pensacola State College men’s basketball team.

The Pirates pulled off another upset, this time producing a 68-64 victory against Chipola College at PSC’s Hartsell Arena.

The win enabled PSC (17-10, 5-4) to forge a second-place tie with Chipola in the Panhandle Conference. The two teams trail Northwest Florida State by a game.

The Pirates led Chipola 37-30 at the half and opened a 10-point lead in the second half. Chipola tied the game, 55-55, on a basket by Sam Cassell Jr,. son of the former Florida State and NBA star, with 4:50 left in the game.

A pair of free throws by RaAnthony Sanders with 2:18 left gave PSC the lead a 61-59 lead. He led the Pirates with 16 points.

Leonard Livingston’s breakaway dunk with 15 seconds left provided a four point lead Morris hit the first of two FT’s with 6 seconds lefts left and then missed the second on purpose. Following an exchange of free throws, Livingston made a pair of free throws with 1.1 seconds left to seal the win.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140209/SPORTS/302090042/Ice-Flyers-get-by-Ice-Bears

<><><>CARLOS WINS<><><><><>
Feb 11 Chipola win over Gulf Coast State College W, 83-82 Final - OT
"The Indians led 63-59 after a Carlos Morris layin. Baulkman scored every GC point during a 9-0 run that turned that four-point deficit into a 68-63 lead with a floater in the lane with four minutes left in the second half."

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/gu...l-state-berth-slips-away-from-gc-men-1.276652

http://chipola.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/boxscores/20140211_eg65.xml

<><><>NATE WINS<><><><><>

Mason win (Life Christian vs. Arlington Country Day)
Maura 4, Turner 15, Francis 3, Chester 10, Mason 14, Miller 17, Buford 24, Doumbia 17

http://schools.jacksonville.com/sports/basketball.php?game=7490

<>><><>JOSH WINS<><><><>
Bothell beats rival Inglemoor to advance in KingCo tournament
"The two teams battle during the first quarter trading baskets and the lead as they combed for four 3-pointers. Inglewood took a 12-11 lead on a steel and basket by John Gardner. But Bothell would take control towards the end of the first quarter. A vicious just dunk by Josh Martin triggered a 14-3 run that lasted into the second quarter"

http://www.bothell-reporter.com/sports/245625491.html

<><><>CARLOS WINS<><><><><>
Feb 11 Chipola win over Gulf Coast State College W, 83-82 Final - OT
"The Indians led 63-59 after a Carlos Morris layin. Baulkman scored every GC point during a 9-0 run that turned that four-point deficit into a 68-63 lead with a floater in the lane with four minutes left in the second half."

http://www.newsherald.com/sports/gu...l-state-berth-slips-away-from-gc-men-1.276652

http://chipola.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/boxscores/20140211_eg65.xml

<><><>NATE WINS<><><><><>

Mason win (Life Christian vs. Arlington Country Day)
Maura 4, Turner 15, Francis 3, Chester 10, Mason 14, Miller 17, Buford 24, Doumbia 17

http://schools.jacksonville.com/sports/basketball.php?game=7490

<>><><>JOSH WINS<><><><>
Bothell beats rival Inglemoor to advance in KingCo tournament
"The two teams battle during the first quarter trading baskets and the lead as they combed for four 3-pointers. Inglewood took a 12-11 lead on a steel and basket by John Gardner. But Bothell would take control towards the end of the first quarter. A vicious just dunk by Josh Martin triggered a 14-3 run that lasted into the second quarter"

http://www.bothell-reporter.com/sports/245625491.html

Looks like Morris can shoot the 3s. 3-6 in this game and 6 for 6 last game?

Top Bottom