2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

I don't know guys. Wagner has done well in very limited minutes. I thought after a nice game against College of Charleston that she'd get a few more minutes. I'd really like to see what she could do playing 30-35 minutes. I think her offense is fine, her defense may be a bit slow to adjust. But at this point, she is a better option than Bailey or Mullaney in a three guard lineup.

I don't know guys. Wagner has done well in very limited minutes. I thought after a nice game against College of Charleston that she'd get a few more minutes. I'd really like to see what she could do playing 30-35 minutes. I think her offense is fine, her defense may be a bit slow to adjust. But at this point, she is a better option that Bailey or Mullaney in a three guard lineup.

Thanks coach.

Only 12 minutes for Wagner? Is Bailey and Mullaney a better option than her?

I wouldn't say so. Bailey and Mullayney really struggled tonight, and Carlie is starting to look more comfortable with her shots and crashing the boards.

*Btw, record is 7-1 now after playing teams including Vanderbilt, Memphis, Georgia Tech, NC State, and CofC. Not bad at all considering the Gophers definitely haven't been playing their best basketball. Hopefully that'll come later this year.

If you saw Wagner in the State Tournament she didn't play much defense. All her energies were on offense. I haven't seen a live game yet, but on streaming she is getting lost on the switches. She will
get better.

Okay, tell us why Coach Stollings is playing Mullaney and Bailey instead of Wagner then, bro.

How would I know why she isn't playing? I mentioned in my comment that could be defense. I simply stated that I believe she should play instead on the other two based on what I've observed this year. You could have stated your reason why she shouldn't be playing more instead of being a jerk about it.

2014 Stats

How would I know why she isn't playing? I mentioned in my comment that could be defense. I simply stated that I believe she should play instead on the other two based on what I've observed this year. You could have stated your reason why she shouldn't be playing more instead of being a jerk about it.

2014 Stats

Here's your quote: "But at this point, she is a better option that Bailey or Mullaney in a three guard lineup."

The smart coaches who are paying attention will recognize that you don't have to guard either Mullaney or Bailey. Stollings will find it tougher to win 3 on 5 rather than 5 on 5. Bailey can't create her own shot and Mullaney can't score. Since those 2 have entered the starting lineup the gophs have struggled to win. This does not bode well for big ten play.

Here's your quote: "But at this point, she is a better option that Bailey or Mullaney in a three guard lineup."

Again, that is my opinion based on what I've observed this year. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Stollings mission statement was that offense would create their defense because the opposing team would always be on their heels and yet she has 2 players on her sstarting 5 that can't play offense. It's one thing to tell the fans what you're going to do and quite another when you don't follow through.

Wagner's far more talented than Bailey and Mullayney! It's quite clear. She's going to see increased PT, so I'm not all that concerned.

Man, the first half has been a good reminder that this team would be nothing without Banham. They look awful right now. Mullayney, Bailey, and Hedstrom will not get the job done and Wagner simply doesn't assert herself. Our posts only show up to play on a part time basis. Our posts (Zahui and Kelley) have to make sure they bring their A-game on a more consistent basis, because they are really the only other options on the team.

Banham and Zahui have been huge for the Gopher's in this game!! Working really well together. Shae Kelley's been off as of late; need to get her going. Those 3 need to handle the bulk of the business, while the rest of the team must play good defense and differ the big 3 on offense. That's what's gotten them results so far this season. It's heading toward a Gopher victory to push them to 8-1!

The Gophers are in SERIOUS jeopardy of losing at home to a 2-7 team.

Banham just hit a CLUTCH deep contested three to tie the game with 4 seconds left in regulation! Gophers are dang lucky to push this one to OT.

The Gophers somehow, someway found a way to win the game and avoid a real resume-bruising loss tonight against Butler. Final score 88-86 (OT). Crucial win for the team! Further exposed some real problems though, such as defense and lack of depth.

Banham finished with 35 PTS, 6 AST, 6 REB.
Zahui added in 26 PTS, 10 REB, 6 BLK.

Gophers host a tournament here in two weeks including #1 South Carolina but those two teams won't play each other. Seems odd.

Definitely the worst 8-1 team I have ever seen. I am so sorry I bought season tickets. I won't be renewing them!!

Definitely the worst 8-1 team I have ever seen. I am so sorry I bought season tickets. I won't be renewing them!!

23 days into the season AND you know how future seasons will go. Most impressive.

I do know how this one will go, yes. Most everyone else does too except for you.

I do know how this one will go, yes. Most everyone else does too except for you.

Curious troll attempt. However, I don't make expectations for my teams. I let the team determine their fate and cheer them on regardless of the circumstances. Of course I want my teams to succeed, but doesn't matter if they are 8-1 or 1-8, I'll still be supporting them. Might I suggest you do the same?

I have had men's season tickets for 37 years. I think that shows enough support.

I have had men's season tickets for 37 years. I think that shows enough support.

Where do you sit in the obstructive view section?, because you obviously don't know dick about men's
or women's basketball. Wait, maybe you're Pam Bortons girlfriend.

The Butler game was my first chance to see this year's team live after watching a couple games online. I definitely approve of the attempt to increase tempo. Even if the Gophs don't get an early look on the break, they are at least getting into the offense quickly. In the past years the rigidity of Borton's system meant that the team would have the point guard dribbling out front waiting for the other players to get to the correct spot. The result was often a desperation shot as the shot clock ran down.

The down side of the new tempo seems to be some forced shots on the break, taken by players who aren't great shooters with no rebounders available. Overall though, I like what I see.

Defensively it's very apparent the team still has a long way to go in learning the new matchup zone. Butler got far too many easy looks using the classic methods of attacking a zone, including getting the ball to the high post, hitting cutters after after a post or short corner feed, and finding the open 3 pt shooters after rotation errors. Vanderbilt really ripped through the D as well.

Fortunately, having Banham and Zahui meant that even an off day from Kelly didn't matter.

One last note, it was nice to see Kayla Hirt make a couple tricky layups, run the floor and go after some rebounds. While she's still not super athletic it looks like she has fully put her injuries behind her.

Top Bottom