2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Stollings Signs Garven to National Letter of Intent

"University of Minnesota head women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings today announced that 6-foot-1 guard Danielle Garven (Scarborough, Ont./Pope John Paul II Catholic School), a member of the Canadian U17 National team, signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Golden Gophers beginning next season."

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111314aaa.html

Five story lines as Gopher's women's basketball opens the season.

"Five things to know as the Gophers women’s basketball team starts a new era tonight at Williams Arena"
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/282656591.html

gophers gameday
7 p.m. vs. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA • Pay-per-view TV: BTN Plus, 88.5-FM

Preview: The Gophers’ offense ranked 149th among Division I teams a year ago at just under 69 points a game. New coach Marlene Stollings is expected to get the Gophers up and down the floor, looking to score in transition. Her squad at Virginia Commonwealth ranked 36th at 75.8 points per game last season. With more options and experience, the Gophers’ bench should be improved. Southeastern Louisiana is coming off an 8-22 season. It allowed over 90 points in each of its final four games.
The Gophers: Senior Rachel Banham, a preseason second-team All-America choice by espnW, is seven points away from becom-
ing the fourth Gopher to reach 2,000.
She will be joined in the backcourt
by junior Shayne Mullaney and much-heralded freshman Carlie Wagner. Sophomore Amanda Zahui B. and versatile 6-1 senior Shae Kelley, a transfer from Old Dominion, will start up front. Kelley averaged 9.7 rebounds for the Monarchs.

The Lions: Successful junior college mentor and two-time WNBA champion Yolanda Moore was named Southeastern Louisiana’s fifth coach in April. She brings a defensive-minded approach. The Lions have three starters who averaged double figures last season, led by junior forward Nanna Pool who averaged 12 points and 10.7 rebounds.
RON HAGGSTROM

same link

Was at game. Lot of offensive talent. Not kidding, Gophers have 2 maybe 3 future WNBA players on their roster. Banham, Zahui B and perhaps Wagner. The talent is there for this to be a very special women's basketball team.

My main concern would be will they be able defend good teams. Not a lot of defense played. I hate zone D.

Was at game. Lot of offensive talent. Not kidding, Gophers have 2 maybe 3 future WNBA players on their roster. Banham, Zahui B and perhaps Wagner. The talent is there for this to be a very special women's basketball team.

My main concern would be will they be able defend good teams. Not a lot of defense played. I hate zone D.

What about Kelley?

Was hopping you would chime in since you were not able to tune in the L'ville game.:)

Kelley is a huge addition. Athletic, good bounce. Her and ZB should get a ton of rebounds between 'em. Just one game but I'd say they're comfortably 7 deep. Mullaney, Hirt, and Bailey are solid, know their roles.

Watched the replay of the WBB game after the men's game was over and WOW! That was extremely fun to watch (and refreshing after how the men played tonight). Bucket after bucket after bucket... Well, you get the point. Kayla Hirt played unreal, as did about 4 others.

MN looked great on offense, but their defense was atrocious. The zone was terrible. There is a tremendous amount of talent on this team, but if they don't play defense any better than they did tonight they will lose several games they should win. In addition to those mentioned above, Hirt also played very well.

I can't claim to have been at the game, but based on the accounts here...

A lot of offense and little defense - sounds like the Oldfield year.

Coach Stollings and Rachel Banham on Rosen Sports Sunday tonight.

Kelley Earns B1G Weekly Recognition

"Nov. 17, 2014
University of Minnesota senior forward Shae Kelley was named to the Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll Monday after posting her first double-double as a Gopher with 21 points and 10 rebounds Friday in the team's 109-60 win over Southeastern Louisiana.
Ohio State's Ameryst Alston was named the Big Ten Player of the Week, with Iowa's Melissa Dixon and Michigan State's Aerial Powers joining Kelley on the honor roll. Indiana's Tyra Buss earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors.

Kelley was 8-for-11 from the field in securing her first 20-point performance in maroon and gold, while she added two steals and one block in 18 minutes of work.

The Maroon and Gold is set to host Cleveland State Wednesday, Nov. 19 at Noon for its Kids Field Trip Day.

-UM- "

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111714aae.html

Game Preview: Minnesota vs. Cleveland State

Minnesota (1-0, 0-0) hosts Cleveland State (1-0, 0-0)
Date / Time Wednesday, November 18 | 12 p.m.
Location Minneapolis, Minn. (Williams Arena)
Live Video BTN Plus (formerly Gopher All-Access)
Radio KBEM Jazz 88.5 FM
Play-by-Play: Corbu Stathes | Analyst: Lynnette Sjoquist
Live Stats Gametracker
Game Notes Minnesota | Cleveland State
Official Sites Minnesota | Cleveland State
Social Media @GophersWBB | Facebook
Promotions
1. Kids Field Trip Day
2. Giveaway: T-shirts for every made three-pointer

THE OPENING TIP - QUICK NOTES.........
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111814aaa.html

Promotions
1. Kids Field Trip Day
2. Giveaway: T-shirts for every made three-pointer

Was going to check them out but not now. Great promotion but I really don't want to listen to several thousand screeching kids. Would bring back memories of head-ache at the old Met on Bat Day when the little bastards would pound the bats on the metal bleachers.

Was going to check them out but not now. Great promotion but I really don't want to listen to several thousand screeching kids. Would bring back memories of head-ache at the old Met on Bat Day when the little bastards would pound the bats on the metal bleachers.

Good to see that you like kids.

Beat Vanderbilt for a shot at UConn

Hope they beat Vandy in their Gulf Coast Showcase opener. Really want to see how this Gopher squad would look vs. UConn, there's no better way to see how their talent measures up.

Hope they beat Vandy in their Gulf Coast Showcase opener. Really want to see how this Gopher squad would look vs. UConn, there's no better way to see how their talent measures up.

Thinking UCONN might be in a nasty mood for awhile after having their winning streak stopped by Stanford. Looks like no TV at all.

Thinking UCONN might be in a nasty mood for awhile after having their winning streak stopped by Stanford. Looks like no TV at all.

Even if they get killed, a ton of value in playing UConn. Especially want to see how Banham, Zahui B, and Wagner compete against a team with elite players up & down the roster.

Even if they get killed, a ton of value in playing UConn. Especially want to see how Banham, Zahui B, and Wagner compete against a team with elite players up & down the roster.

I agree. Too bad we won't get to watch.

Time to start a WBTN?

I agree. Too bad we won't get to watch.

Time to start a WBTN?

Weekday, noon start, this is the kind of game that should be on the regular network, not the pay station. They probably have a Big Tens Greatest games on instead.

Top Bottom