2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Bank both, have a Jones, Vaughn, Travis, , Okonoboh class, completely destroy schilling when we play mich st.

I would like that to happen also, but what recent trend of picking up big time recruits would lead you to believe this would actually happen? Just curious.

Offer Cullen Russo... Good enough for Number 5 Miami ... lets get the local kid

EE/Mo/Buggs/Foster/Oto is enough for next year if we can't find a legit High School recruit. But I'm extremely high on Buggs. He seems like a freak athlete in the mold of Rodney (look at his dunks at midnight madness) except he can shoot and is even an inch taller than Rodney. Plus he redshirted, unlike Rodney. Foster seems like a skilled PF that would be useful off the bench. I have some confidence that Oto will improve enough to be a solid role player. I have absolute no issue with EE moving into the starting line up. We need Mo to improve and play like he did against Ohio State.

At the end of the day we are only going to go as far as Dre, Austin, Joe, Wally, and Alvin take us. Those guards are the key to our success next year.

If people didn't keep bantering about Tubby getting fired, maybe it would have been a different decision for Gavin. Unfortunately some people have seemed insistent on making things worse than they probably had to be.

Tied for 7th and behind Wisconsin AND Iowa. There isn't much worse than that IMHO. How bad does it have to get before fans are allowed to complain?

I do to, but what recent trend of picking up big time recruits would lead you to believe this would actually happen? Just curious.
Can't speak for Okohoboh (seems like a long shot) but the other 3 are from Minnesota. Tubby has gotten Rodney Williams, Royce White, Trevor Mbakwe, and Joe Coleman from Minnesota. He hasn't exactly "lost" anyone. I think if you look at it from a perspective of our trend, it'd appear we have an even greater chance than we have in reality.

If people didn't keep bantering about Tubby getting fired, maybe it would have been a different decision for Gavin. Unfortunately some people have seemed insistent on making things worse than they probably had to be.

Completely disagree. Tubby and his team's performance had everything to do with this imo. Add to that Michigan State is much more successful with a much better coach and this outcome is no surprise.

Why anyone would choose Minn over MSU is beyond me. Izzo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tubby

Completely disagree. Tubby and his team's performance had everything to do with this imo. Add to that Michigan State is much more successful with a much better coach and this outcome is no surprise.

Plus better facilities and one of the best athletic director's in the country

EE/Mo/Buggs/Foster/Oto is enough for next year if we can't find a legit High School recruit. But I'm extremely high on Buggs. He seems like a freak athlete in the mold of Rodney (look at his dunks at midnight madness) except he can shoot and is even an inch taller than Rodney. Plus he redshirted, unlike Rodney. Foster seems like a skilled PF that would be useful off the bench. I have some confidence that Oto will improve enough to be a solid role player. I have absolute no issue with EE moving into the starting line up. We need Mo to improve and play like he did against Ohio State.

At the end of the day we are only going to go as far as Dre, Austin, Joe, Wally, and Alvin take us. Those guards are the key to our success next year.
I agree with you and me and my brother were just talking about this too and said the same thing as you at the end. Next year our guards are gonna determine what we are gonna do and really more specifically I think we will go as far as Andre and Austin will take us.

If that's the case then I feel bad for Tubby. If he can't coach this team, he's going to have a hell of a time next year.

Offer Cullen Russo... Good enough for Number 5 Miami ... lets get the local kid

In general, this is a good approach for this program. Lots of good C/F's out of this area over the years if we do a good job of scouting and developing them.

Tubby will be here - so you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

You keep believing that. The rest of us don't live in fantasy land. He's not 100% gone, but to say he's not going anywhere with any certainty at all is absurd.

Agree as well. Eliason will be just fine as a starter. He generally plays better as he gets to play more often. I could see him playing about 25 minutes a game and Walker 15. Then between Buggs, Foster, and Oto you have your PF.

In general, this is a good approach for this program. Lots of good C/F's out of this area over the years if we do a good job of scouting and developing them.

If Russo a PF though? His profile on rivals says SF. I don't know much about his game.

Cullen's highlights on youtube make him look morel like a SF without SF skills...

If I paraphrase Schlling correctly..............

"I want to be in a large metro area." Hmmm, Twin Cites, L.A. Philly.....nah....East Lansing, that's the ticket!!

This is strike 3 for Tubby in the 2013 big man recruiting contest. Kyle Washington, Nigel Hayes and now Gavin Schilling. All were seriously considering the Gophers but no go. One of the major complaints about Tubby is his recruiting. The current 2013 class is mediocre as was the 2012 class; Buggs is a redshirt and Ellenson contributed nothing. I hope anyone of these guys turns out to be an above average player but that is no sure thing. If the Gophers lose to UCLA firing Tubby just got easier because of the 2nd half of the season collapse and the mediocre recruiting results.

This is strike 3 for Tubby in the 2013 big man recruiting contest. Kyle Washington, Nigel Hayes and now Gavin Schilling. All were seriously considering the Gophers but no go. One of the major complaints about Tubby is his recruiting. The current 2013 class is mediocre as was the 2012 class; Buggs is a redshirt and Ellenson contributed nothing. I hope anyone of these guys turns out to be an above average player but that is no sure thing. If the Gophers lose to UCLA firing Tubby just got easier because of the 2nd half of the season collapse and the mediocre recruiting results.

Don't forget about Vitto Brown.

Coach Pitino was being questioned about the importance of guard play. Pitino said something very insightful. Along the lines of; sure it's important, but you certainly can't say that Lebron and another NBA big (can't think of the name) are guards by any standard. It's important that whoever has the ball can protect and value the ball, making the plays to get others to score or get to the foul line. Hopefully, the Gophers will do a much better job doing just that next year.

Surely the good Dr. didn't really expect Wally to contribute in his freshman year. Agreed that the recruiting has been mediocre, but isn't that Tubby's MO? Doesn't he recruit players that he believes he can coach up? So far, Tubby's coaching up style hasn't panned out. Still say we need another assistant who is really, really good at recruiting and offensive schemes, since Tubby is the defensive expert.

Another disappointing day in gopher basketball. We lose out on the only legit recruit from the high school team that we took two lesser recruits. Offering Russo is stupid. Didn't we learn our lesson from offering late offers to recruits that no other program wanted like Ingram, Maverick, Otto. Tubby doesn't put in the effort in recruiting. We won't win intil we get a coaching staff that recruits hard and gets good players. We can always use excuses that we don't have the facilities or bad weather or whatever. The excuses have to stop. We need players. Two years in a row of no worthy big ten recruits and one real big ten recruit in the last four years fell to us after Stanford said that they were not intersted in him. The future of gopher basketball is bleak. We lose. lose & lose some more. Who is going to give money to a losing program to improve the facilities. It is a never ending nightmare. 9th place and 10th place finishes in the big ten the last two years. At least we keep improving. We can expect an 8th place finish next year. UGH!

Another disappointing day in gopher basketball. We lose out on the only legit recruit from the high school team that we took two lesser recruits. Offering Russo is stupid. Didn't we learn our lesson from offering late offers to recruits that no other program wanted like Ingram, Maverick, Otto. Tubby doesn't put in the effort in recruiting. We won't win intil we get a coaching staff that recruits hard and gets good players. We can always use excuses that we don't have the facilities or bad weather or whatever. The excuses have to stop. We need players. Two years in a row of no worthy big ten recruits and one real big ten recruit in the last four years fell to us after Stanford said that they were not intersted in him. The future of gopher basketball is bleak. We lose. lose & lose some more. Who is going to give money to a losing program to improve the facilities. It is a never ending nightmare. 9th place and 10th place finishes in the big ten the last two years. At least we keep improving. We can expect an 8th place finish next year. UGH!

You obviously know nothing about recruiting.

Surely the good Dr. didn't really expect Wally to contribute in his freshman year. Agreed that the recruiting has been mediocre, but isn't that Tubby's MO? Doesn't he recruit players that he believes he can coach up? So far, Tubby's coaching up style hasn't panned out. Still say we need another assistant who is really, really good at recruiting and offensive schemes, since Tubby is the defensive expert.

I followed his scoring totals in HS and he had some bad games. If you cannot dominate middle level Wisconsin basketball there is little chance you are going to light up the B1G. So to answer your question-no- despite the hype that went with his recruitment. Tubby got some high-ranked recruits initially like RS3, Rodney, White, Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman but the magic aura around him has vaporized. If he is here next year I will be shocked if he gets one of the big 3 Minnesota juniors.

Maybe Schilling was looking for a team that has a half court offense and can get the ball inbounds?

Top Bottom