2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

A little scrum among teammates occurred before Sparty's game at Penn State. Just a little fisticuffs between on-campus roomates that resulted in a hole in the wall at the team hotel. Not a big deal. MSU actually started playing better after that happened.

Thanks SS. Dawson and Payne both come off as big tough guys. Pretty interesting that they would come to blows. Would figure both guys wouldnt want to test the other.

This has been a long week already, and its effecting me.

I just came on here to see where Gavin picked to go. I forgot its only Tuesday!

This has been a long week already, and its effecting me.

I just came on here to see where Gavin picked to go. I forgot its only Tuesday!

Haha Gavin decision day is only a day away! We are close!

Hoping for the Chicago 3 to reunite!

Why would Gavin commit when there's all these Tubby rumors? If the AD's office is putting out these rumors, then they are trying to undercut Tubby.

losers have been putting out tubby rumors for years.... Gavin likely will not care about rumors from originating from the clowns

Why would Gavin commit when there's all these Tubby rumors? If the AD's office is putting out these rumors, then they are trying to undercut Tubby.

Maybe he just really wants to play with his teammates and Alvin Ellis did a really good sell job on him. Maybe he just knows that no matter who the coach is, he's most likely getting plenty of time. Or maybe he actually just liked the school itself that much and is still a good option that is near his home (MSU has this as well of course, but just saying...). There are plenty of reasons outside of the coach why a player may want to attend a certain school. If Tubby's job security was absolutely vital for him, we wouldn't be in his top 4 anyway.

All of that said, yes, Tubby's job situation would seem to be a big deterrent, so I don't know what to think. All I can do is hope he does, and if he doesn't, well, gotta move on.

Maybe he just really wants to play with his teammates and Alvin Ellis did a really good sell job on him. Maybe he just knows that no matter who the coach is, he's most likely getting plenty of time. Or maybe he actually just liked the school itself that much and is still a good option that is near his home (MSU has this as well of course, but just saying...). There are plenty of reasons outside of the coach why a player may want to attend a certain school. If Tubby's job security was absolutely vital for him, we wouldn't be in his top 4 anyway.

All of that said, yes, Tubby's job situation would seem to be a big deterrent, so I don't know what to think. All I can do is hope he does, and if he doesn't, well, gotta move on.

Not many kids go to play for a school regardless of a coach, unless it's a local kid and it's a lifelong dream kinda thing. Minnesota and Gavin is not like that. I doubt he'll trek to the snow regardless of the coach. Coaches are the most important reason for a player cause you have to fit their system and mesh with their personalities as well. I hope the kid comes, but not sure why a few days before his announce date, there's all these rumors about Tubby's job and we still have a tourney to play. And if this stuff is coming from the AD office, which is something not unheard of in college sports, it's really bush league antics going on and Teague is either inept or a shady character.

I didn't see anyone say this, but check Gavin's twitter at 1:15 tomorrow for the announcement.

relax, he isn't even a true impact player. Know the players people. The only thing that matters is next year. We need a new coach to save this team.

Q&A with Gavin Schilling - "Coach Smith is a real nice guy."

Q: How do you think your season with Findlay Prep is going?
A: It’s going real well. We finished the regular season 34-0. We have an upcoming tournament in DC (Ed. Note: He continued to talk about the post-season, but it became very staticky.)
Q: Do you talk much with Alvin Ellis or Alex Foster?
A: Yeah, I still talk with them. Me and Alvin text a lot. Last week I went home before I took visits, and I saw him and we hung out. I text Alex, too.
Q: Do they try to recruit you to Minnesota?
A: Yeah, they’re trying to recruit me and trying to make me come there.
Q: What do you like about Michigan State?
A: I like the coaches there. (Izzo) is a winning coach. Getting to know his players a little bit is also great. I got to spend some time with them off the court. Obviously, on the court, they’re winners. I like the assistants, too, and the Big Ten Conference.
Q: How about UCLA?
A: Their tradition is really, really cool. I love the city – the great weather and all of that. Allerik Freeman and some other recruits are going there that I’d love to play with. There’s a lot of playing time available, because they’re missing a rebounder and that’s one of my strengths.
Q: Villanova?
A: I like Coach Wright a lot and how close he is with his players. It’s a family atmosphere with the coaching staff. It’s really nice – a private school. I like the way Coach Wright uses his players and develops them. I like the way Villanova plays and their system.
Q: Minnesota?
A: I like them a lot, too. Coach Smith is a real nice guy. I like the way he develops his bigs. It’s in the Big Ten Conference. There’s a lot of playing time available for me as a freshman especially with Trevor and Rodney leaving.
Q: What coach on the Minnesota staff do you have the best relationship with?
A: Probably Coach Taylor.
Q: Do you already know what school you want to attend, but are just waiting to announce on Wednesday?
A: No. It’s a tough decision. I don’t know, for sure. I’ve visited every school.
Q: Will you be watching the UCLA-Minnesota game?
A: It’s definitely an interesting game, because it’s two of my top four schools. It’s definitely an interesting game to watch.​

His tone of voice sounded excited about UCLA and respectful/somewhat in admiration of Villanova and Michigan State.

Not many kids go to play for a school regardless of a coach, unless it's a local kid and it's a lifelong dream kinda thing. Minnesota and Gavin is not like that. I doubt he'll trek to the snow regardless of the coach. Coaches are the most important reason for a player cause you have to fit their system and mesh with their personalities as well. I hope the kid comes, but not sure why a few days before his announce date, there's all these rumors about Tubby's job and we still have a tourney to play. And if this stuff is coming from the AD office, which is something not unheard of in college sports, it's really bush league antics going on and Teague is either inept or a shady character.

Not unheard of course, but Teague is neither inept or shady. You might want to check with Kentucky AD office regarding all the antics about Tubby and the U of Ky.

Q: Do you already know what school you want to attend, but are just waiting to announce on Wednesday?
A: No. It’s a tough decision. I don’t know, for sure. I’ve visited every school.

If he really doesn't know yet, that's pretty crazy. Makes you wonder how solid of a commit it would be. When is the spring signing day?

Looks like he will now announce his decison at 2:30 Minnesota time.
Gavin Schilling‏@GSchills3214h
I will now be announcing my decision at 12 30 pm PST opposed to 11 15 am!!!!!

Looking at Gavin's tweets, it is quite obvious Alvin Ellis has been working overtime to convince him to sign with us. Even if we don't get Gavin I love Alvin's commitment and excitement for the U.

And if this stuff is coming from the AD office, which is something not unheard of in college sports, it's really bush league antics going on and Teague is either inept or a shady character.

Talk about unsubstantiated BS.

Why don't you just say "And if Teague is actually from another planet..."

You have absolutely ZERO basis to make that statement.

Amelia tweeted a little while ago that he still hasn't decided. I'm starting to wonder if he created this "deadline" to force himself to make a decision.

I will repeat my oftentimes summary: So many experts, so little expertise.

I will repeat my oftentimes summary: So many experts, so little expertise.

In order to be a true expert one must be at least 50 miles away from those in need of expertise.

Amelia tweeted a little while ago that he still hasn't decided. I'm starting to wonder if he created this "deadline" to force himself to make a decision.

I don't believe that he doesn't know. He seems like a smart kid- if he didn't know, why would he (or any recruit) set a deadline just to make a spur of the moment choice about 4 years of their lives? I don't buy it...

Hope he wants to spend some time in Minneapolis!

I believe he could do that. When I was choosing a school, I had no idea. I got sick of thinking about it and told myself that in 4 days, I will decide. I decided that day, and stuck with it. Worked well for me.

It definitely smells of Michigan State, unfortunately. Izzo went after him really hard after Parker committed to Duke.

Sounds like he'd be a good get if the Gophers land him. Hope for the best.

It's hard to imagine anybody rushing to commit to the Gophers or the Bruins with this timing, considering both coaches may be out. All of this points to MSU, especially now that Payne has exploded up the mock drafts. Minutes, Izzo, Stability...All things point to MSU.

I wouldn't say all signs point to MSU. It certainly seems more likely, but Schillings familiarity with a couple of our recruits plays in our favor. Not sure how much of an effect this will have, but it helped us into his final four.

Alvin Ellis is doing his best to bring Schilling to Minnesota with him. I love his effort.

Top Bottom