12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: If he's truly a one-and-done, does it really matter which college he attends? Aren't NBA scouts pretty smart?

The name of the school doesn't matter. It's more important to fit the system well and have an opportunity for a lot of touches.

With Austin graduating, it just seems like a perfect fit for a 1 and done recruit. UNLV is garbage and ISU is in Ames...something doesn't add up to me.

Well 247 had Reid down to either Duke or MN and he ended up at Stanford.

247 has 80% of the predictions going to Iowa State or UNLV....so this time perhaps he pulls the surprise for the Gophers.

The name of the school doesn't matter. It's more important to fit the system well and have an opportunity for a lot of touches.

The name of the school definitely matters when it comes to national exposure for one and dones. Then again, ISU and UNLV don't fit the bill. Who really knows what Rashad (or any recruit for that matter) is thinking.

I just can't see Rashad wanting to play in the Mountain West conference. I know you can still become the #1 pick playing in that conference etc., but I see him wanting to compete on the big stage in a power conference. At least Iowa State is in the Big XII with Kansas. I'd be surprised if he picked UNLV.

With Austin graduating, it just seems like a perfect fit for a 1 and done recruit. UNLV is garbage and ISU is in Ames...something doesn't add up to me.

+1
We can only hope. It would make alot of sense for Rashad! Who knows though...

The name of the school definitely matters when it comes to national exposure for one and dones. Then again, ISU and UNLV don't fit the bill. Who really knows what Rashad (or any recruit for that matter) is thinking.

"Exposure" doesn't seem very important to me. If you can play, the scouts will find you. Have you paid attention to any of the recent drafts? Weber State produced the #6 pick and NBA rookie of the year a year ago. Did you even know that Weber State was a school prior to that? Can you even pronounce it correctly? Many people can't. Lehigh produced the #10 pick in the last draft and there were also 7 players from overseas. If scouts can find guys from other continents, they can find guys from non-blue blood programs. Big time schools just produce more draft picks because the most talented kids generally go to high profile schools. If they went to smaller schools, they'd still get drafted.

Rashad is tearing it up through 6 games at Findlay. 23.2ppg 4.8apg 5.2rpg and he's shooting 59% from deep. The 23.2ppg is tied with Kelly Oubre for the most on the team.

Rashad is tearing it up through 6 games at Findlay. 23.2ppg 4.8apg 5.2rpg and he's shooting 59% from deep. The 23.2ppg is tied with Kelly Oubre for the most on the team.

Man this kid would be a fantastic replacement for Austin Hollins next year!

Man this kid would be a fantastic replacement for Austin Hollins next year!

Pretty impressive to be able to dish out nearly 5 assists per game while still scoring 23. He's not just a gunner.

I just can't see Rashad wanting to play in the Mountain West conference. I know you can still become the #1 pick playing in that conference etc., but I see him wanting to compete on the big stage in a power conference. At least Iowa State is in the Big XII with Kansas. I'd be surprised if he picked UNLV.

after watching bennett this year, i don't know if it'll happen again. yikes.

Mods - feel free to delete if this is too off -topic. The article does talk a lot about Vaughn and discusses the Michigan/ISU matchup.

Thought a perspective from a national sports writer (from CBS) on Vaughn and ISU wrt to Vaughn would be relevant.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-michigan-highlight-big-weekend-at-iowa-state

If you want to go see him play (and help Lil' Rich Recruit him ;)) he's playing over the Christmas break. Findley Prep is playing DeLaSalle in the Mike Miller Classic in Mitchell, SD. It should be a great game. I know I would go if I could, but I'm over 1500 miles away!

If you want to go see him play (and help Lil' Rich Recruit him ;)) he's playing over the Christmas break. Findley Prep is playing DeLaSalle in the Mike Miller Classic in Mitchell, SD. It should be a great game. I know I would go if I could, but I'm over 1500 miles away!

I can't wait to go to SoDak and the Corn Palace in December said no one ever!

Ames Tribune: Men’s Basketball: ISU with one last chance to make big impression with Vaughn

“This is Iowa State’s chance to show Rashad what they’re all about,” said Scout.com’s national basketball recruiting analyst Evan Daniels. “They’re going to take their best shot. I think Iowa State is in great position.”

“This is kind of their chance to show Rashad what they have,” he added.

Vaughn has made multiple unofficial trips to Ames over the last three years, but the gameday atmosphere could reach another level this weekend.

“That’s one of the biggest recruiting pitches we have,” said Hoiberg, “our fanbase, our arena.”

Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and other traditional powers all offered Vaughn, but according to many observers ISU and UNLV have emerged as the frontrunners at this point.

“They targeted him early, they built a relationship,” Daniels said. “Fred Hoiberg and (assistant) Matt (Abdelmassih) have done a really good job recruiting him. They’ve built relationships not only with Rashad, but the people around him.

“They established those relationships early, and they’re paying off.”

http://amestrib.com/sections/sports...e-last-chance-make-big-impression-vaughn.html

Go Gophers!!

1096.gif

My boss, who is a fan of both ISU and Iowa, depending on who is more successful at the moment, is becoming horrifically smug about ISU's chances, so Rashad, I'm going to need you to commit to the U, k? And sharpish. I can't take much more of this Ames love.

Is it just me or is Vaughn waiting until Reid and Jones make their decisions a good sign? You knew once was going to be the last one and one was going to have the chance to be the hero.

Is it just me or is Vaughn waiting until Reid and Jones make their decisions a good sign? You knew once was going to be the last one and one was going to have the chance to be the hero.

It sounds like he is waiting till the spring.

I hope if Rashad doesn't choose the Gophers, he tells Coach Pitino in a timely manner (before the spring signing period), so Coach can have another player ready to sign.

I remember when Tayler Hill strung Borton along so long that there was no one really left to recruit.

I hope if Rashad doesn't choose the Gophers, he tells Coach Pitino in a timely manner (before the spring signing period), so Coach can have another player ready to sign.

I remember when Tayler Hill strung Borton along so long that there was no one really left to recruit.

I'm sure Pitino has a backup as well as another backup. If he's half the coach I think he is, he'll have an understanding that you make room for a recruit like Rashad if he happens to commit, but otherwise go about recruiting the next best player you can possibly find.

The optimist in me says Vaughn is glad neither one is staying home so the Gopher fan base is let down for a few months only for him to commit to the U and be the savior. Usually, the Minnesota sports fan optimist in me is far off from reality though.

Coach Pitino will be adding more than just one recruit to the 2014 class.

A prediction that is not yet eligible for the worst prediction thread.:cool02:

The optimist in me says Vaughn is glad neither one is staying home so the Gopher fan base is let down for a few months only for him to commit to the U and be the savior. Usually, the Minnesota sports fan optimist in me is far off from reality though.

If the past is any indicator, I really don't think Rashad cares what Gopher fans would think of him when he makes his decision.

We certainly fit the criteria in what he is looking for. Ample opportunity to shine, competent pass first PG, SG to help assure he gets the rock in good (non-double) situations, lack of post scoring options, and a system that encourages perimeter play and quick slashing playmakers. Also the ability to ride in as the white knight in shining armor and be the hero to his home state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom