12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until this Vaughn matter, I never considered ISU and Hoiberg's operation to be shady. I gave him the benefit of doubt on his halfway house. Now I'm coming around to thinking otherwise. This evident violation just adds fuel to the fire.

Same, it's starting to be more than a coincidence landing all these guys (White, Loucious, Babb, Thomas, *possibly Vaughn, etc)

ISU, no offense to them has very average academics, it isn't in a warm climate on a beach somewhere, it's in Ames which is a small city surrounded by nothingness, it doesn't have a nationally-respected basketball program, it isn't in a strong basketball conference, the facilities, while nice, are by no stretch of the imagination amazing. So what the hell... ($$$$$$$$$$$)?

Same, it's starting to be more than a coincidence landing all these guys (White, Loucious, Babb, Thomas, *possibly Vaughn, etc)

ISU, no offense to them has very average academics, it isn't in a warm climate on a beach somewhere, it's in Ames which is a small city surrounded by nothingness, it doesn't have a nationally-respected basketball program, it isn't in a strong basketball conference, the facilities, while nice, are by no stretch of the imagination amazing. So what the hell... ($$$$$$$$$$$)?

Do you think Iowa State is paying these guys?

Until this Vaughn matter, I never considered ISU and Hoiberg's operation to be shady. I gave him the benefit of doubt on his halfway house. Now I'm coming around to thinking otherwise. This evident violation just adds fuel to the fire.

For giving a reporter an updated status on a recruit? Come on. How do you think all recruiting sites get info? All coaches do it, reporters are just suppose to be smart enough to not throw the coaches under the bus! It's for sure a violation, and they got caught...but this does not make Hoiberg shady.

For giving a reporter an updated status on a recruit? Come on. How do you think all recruiting sites get info? All coaches do it, reporters are just suppose to be smart enough to not throw the coaches under the bus! It's for sure a violation, and they got caught...but this does not make Hoiberg shady.

Doesn't make him clean or above board either... certainly doesn't help his image.. the "everyone does it" defense may be true but you can only go down from here, plus, its never a good sign to defend your actions by saying the other coaches do it to.. Plus, he is a reporter for a student newspaper? What coach would tell that kind of reporter info like that.. not buying it. He is a little shady if hes that lax.. just my opinion though.

I'm beginning to believe that it's impossible to succeed in college basketball without a generous dollop of shadiness.

For giving a reporter an updated status on a recruit? Come on.

I said it added fuel to the fire.

I guess big shot insiders who don't think recruiting violations are a big deal only skim people's posts. :)

I think it's unfair to assume ISU is cheating. I will say this though, UNLV's recruitment of Vaughn has been shady from the get-go. And if UNLV and ISU truly are Vaughn's top two, ISU could be considered guilty by association. I hope this isn't the case, but if Vaughn is going to go to the school who gives the best "offer" and these two are at the top, then hmmmmm.

And IF Rashad's recruitment has gone to the shady side, then I'll pass. They can have him. I'd rather be a bubble team every year and do things the right way then "buy" a one and done player who could maybe bring us to the elite eight. Some may feel differently and that's fine. I felt the same way with Isaiah Whitehead. At first I was bummed he didn't choose the U, but after hearing about his coach getting a job at SHU I didn't care anymore. I don't like that type of recruiting.

I think it's unfair to assume ISU is cheating. I will say this though, UNLV's recruitment of Vaughn has been shady from the get-go. And if UNLV and ISU truly are Vaughn's top two, ISU could be considered guilty by association. I hope this isn't the case, but if Vaughn is going to go to the school who gives the best "offer" and these two are at the top, then hmmmmm.

And IF Rashad's recruitment has gone to the shady side, then I'll pass. They can have him. I'd rather be a bubble team every year and do things the right way then "buy" a one and done player who could maybe bring us to the elite eight. Some may feel differently and that's fine. I felt the same way with Isaiah Whitehead. At first I was bummed he didn't choose the U, but after hearing about his coach getting a job at SHU I didn't care anymore. I don't like that type of recruiting.

I've wondered about Vaughns recruiting ever since his coach moved out to Findley with him, if he chooses UNLV and the coach follows him there then there never was any chance he was going to Minnesota. It seem eerily similiar to Whiteheads situation, I hope it doesn't happen and doubt that type of deal would ever occur at Iowa State, at UNLV it could happen in a flash.

Minnesota basketball fans casting aspersions on other programs because of their alleged "shadiness" and "obvious" "cheating" is quite hilarious to me.

Wait, so is Iowa State dirty because they're the favorite for Vaughn right now, or is Iowa State dirty because they take all those transfers with baggage? Or is UNLV dirty because Vaughn's coach followed him to Findlay? I'm so confused.

Minnesota basketball fans casting aspersions on other programs because of their alleged "shadiness" and "obvious" "cheating" is quite hilarious to me.

I agree dpod. I don't like it when people assume someone must be cheating just because they are having success (either with recruits or on the court).

The ISU student reporter, "reported" last year some football player would not be playing games do to injury after talking to some coaches. The player ended up playing that game and it came out he had no contact with any of the coaches. I believe it was kind of a big deal, and I am surprise he still has a job with the student newspaper.

Wait, so is Iowa State dirty because they're the favorite for Vaughn right now, or is Iowa State dirty because they take all those transfers with baggage? Or is UNLV dirty because Vaughn's coach followed him to Findlay? I'm so confused.

Their are just several steps in Vaughn's recruitment which feel corrupt, and alot of people just simply question what could be going on behind the scenes. If their is shady evidence, people will speculate. *Whereas nobody questions Travis' recruitment because he has done his due diligence and hasn't gotten impulsive in who his favorite schools are based off the actions of other people. He has played out his recruitment the RIGHT way.

Their are just several steps in Vaughn's recruitment which feel corrupt, and alot of people just simply question what could be going on behind the scenes. If their is shady evidence, people will speculate. *Whereas nobody questions Travis' recruitment because he has done his due diligence and hasn't gotten impulsive in who his favorite schools are based off the actions of other people. He has played out his recruitment the RIGHT way.

So how would you like a kid to base his favorite school on? Completely disregard the recruiting process?

I agree dpod. I don't like it when people assume someone must be cheating just because they are having success (either with recruits or on the court).

That's not what *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#o was saying. He was saying Minnesota basketball is overshadowed by cheating (e.g. the academic scandal), and that we have no right to be upset about cheating because of that past scandal. And, as usual, he's wrong.

Future hint: don't agree with dpo. On anything.

That's not what *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#o was saying. He was saying Minnesota basketball is overshadowed by cheating (e.g. the academic scandal), and that we have no right to be upset about cheating because of that past scandal. And, as usual, he's wrong.

Future hint: don't agree with dpo. On anything.

The truth sometimes hurts. If you want to be consistently wrong, feel free to disagree with me on everything.

this has to be the most ridiculous conversation on the entire web

Can you help me out with what feels corrupt? I'm missing it.

So how would you like a kid to base his favorite school on? Completely disregard the recruiting process?

Academics, campus environment, how they like the facilities, a good environment, and a good basketball system. Not money, not personal coaches that follow them to college, not drugs, girls, etc. Guess that's too much to ask for though..

Academics, campus environment, how they like the facilities, a good environment, and a good basketball system. Not money, not personal coaches that follow them to college, not drugs, girls, etc. Guess that's too much to ask for though..

Really? Hadn't heard that money, drugs, girls, and personal coaches are influencing Rashad's decision. Want to elaborate?

Honestly? I would say the number one factor in a high school player's recruitment is relationship with coaches. That is the only reason any ISU fan thinks they have a chance with Vaughn. Hopefully that is a boon for Minnesota, as well. I don't know much about Dave Rice at UNLV but he seems to 'get it' as well. High tempo, open systems where players can express themselves and not be drowned in a system. I think that is what Pitino is building at the 'U'; it just takes time.

So your assumption is that Vaughn likes Iowa State and UNLV because of drugs, girls, etc. and not because he likes their campus environment, facilities, or basketball system?

Findley Prep has sent a number of recruits to UNLV and certainly not the least was last years #1 draft choice, soon after the coach follows, it may be completely above board but anytime a high school coach jumps directory as an assistant to a high level division one school I have to ask the question.

Honestly? I would say the number one factor in a high school player's recruitment is relationship with coaches. That is the only reason any ISU fan thinks they have a chance with Vaughn. Hopefully that is a boon for Minnesota, as well. I don't know much about Dave Rice at UNLV but he seems to 'get it' as well. High tempo, open systems where players can express themselves and not be drowned in a system. I think that is what Pitino is building at the 'U'; it just takes time.

There is no solid "number one factor" that decides what school someone wants to go to, it is different for every person. While some recruits may think the coaching staff is the most important thing when choosing a school, others may think the campus environment or location or academics are the most important. Point is, everyone has different priorities, so we should all stop trying to pretend like we are inside the mind of Rashad or any other recruit.

Findley Prep has sent a number of recruits to UNLV and certainly not the least was last years #1 draft choice, soon after the coach follows, it may be completely above board but anytime a high school coach jumps directory as an assistant to a high level division one school I have to ask the question.

+1. It might not be fair to accuse UNLV of being shady but there's certainly evidence that supports that could be the case. UNLV started recruiting Rashad late but are now a leader, Findlay's old coach is now at UNLV, Pete Kaffey gets a gig at Findlay, it's all hard to ignore.

With Vaughn its all about how fast can he get to the NBA, White did it after one year of active eligibility at ISU, Bennet did it after one year at UNLV, I think that overrides everything else being mentioned and makes it very possible that ISU and UNLV are his final choices. Both places know how to showcase a talent and make them the focal point of an offense and get them to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom