‘Take Floyd … leave timeouts.’ Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz comments fuel Gophers rivalry

What? Do you flip the board when you are losing so that you don't have to finish? Nonsense. No reason for the Gophers not to try and break that shutout. Zero.

Not to mention that in a surprisingly bad year....we've got a first round talent in Bateman that hasn't put up the numbers that we were all expecting. If playing out the rest of the game nets him some stats and keeps him from dropping....that's another positive that shouldn't be overlooked.
When it's 35-0 and impossible to win? At that point, you put backups in. They did.

Agree to disagree.

Big whoop.

If someone's feeling got hurt, it should be really easy to hurt people's feeling in the future.

When it's 35-0 and impossible to win? At that point, you put backups in. They did.

Agree to disagree.

Nonsense. Losing 35-7 is a better outcome. And if that drive nets a few more catches for Bateman and a touchdown....THAT IS A BETTER OUTCOME.

Bateman has a good chance to be the first, first round pick for the Gophers in 15 years (Maroney)! You know what serves as a good recruiting tool? Putting guys into the NFL....and having them be drafted high.

Complaining about that just makes you sound like a jaded, butthurt fan that thinks they deserve embarrassment or something.

Nonsense. Losing 35-7 is a better outcome. And if that drive nets a few more catches for Bateman and a touchdown....THAT IS A BETTER OUTCOME.

Bateman has a good chance to be the first, first round pick for the Gophers in 15 years (Maroney)! You know what serves as a good recruiting tool? Putting guys into the NFL....and having them be drafted high.

Complaining about that just makes you sound like a jaded, butthurt fan that thinks they deserve embarrassment or something.
Losing 0-35 and 7-35 is exactly the same, a horrible loss.

Bateman is gone after this season, no matter what. Getting backups experience is more important.

Nothing I say will change your mind. You have a right to your opinion. We would operate the team differently.

Losing 0-35 and 7-35 is exactly the same, a horrible loss.

Bateman is gone after this season, no matter what. Getting backups experience is more important.

Nothing I say will change your mind. You have a right to your opinion. We would operate the team differently.

One is not a shutout. Yeah....Bateman is going to be gone. Making sure that he doesn't drop out of the first round is a good thing. If Fleck can sell recruits on having first round draft picks......THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Nothing to be gained by laying down.

One is not a shutout. Yeah....Bateman is going to be gone. Making sure that he doesn't drop out of the first round is a good thing. If Fleck can sell recruits on having first round draft picks......THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Bateman's draft stock wasn't changed an iota by playing late in a blowout against Iowa's backups. Scouts know that, and won't even look at that film.

You don't get fractional wins in the standings for non-shutouts.

I appreciate your passion for this team. No one can question that!

I run into this argument a lot while covering HS sports. In MN, when one team gets a big lead in football or basketball, the game goes into "running time," where the clock does not stop.

What happens sometimes is that the team with the lead will put in its subs, but the team that is trailing will leave in its starters and try to make the game closer. the argument some present is that, if one team pulls its starters, the other team should pull its starters as well.

I've seen games where one team pulls its starters, but if the other team leaves its starters in, the team that is leading will put its starters back in to 'make a point.' typically resulting in bad feelings all around. Of course, in HS, if a team has limited numbers, they don't have a lot of options to put in subs. I did a game last week where one team had an 8th grader at tailback in the 4th quarter of a varsity FB game.

College programs with 85 scholarship athletes plus walk-ons have plenty of options. when a game is out of hand, I would prefer to see both teams play their reserves.

Bateman's draft stock wasn't changed an iota by playing late in a blowout against Iowa's backups. Scouts know that, and won't even look at that film.

You don't get fractional wins in the standings for non-shutouts.

I appreciate your passion for this team. No one can question that!

Maybe it does....maybe it doesn't. But an extra touchdown in a short year looks better on a stat line. There's really no disputing that.

No....you don't get fractional wins. But it's a bad look to get shut out by one of your two biggest rivals on your home field. And if you don't think Ferentz was looking forward to having that ammo.....then I think that you can also agree that he overreacted over nothing.

Maybe it does....maybe it doesn't. But an extra touchdown in a short year looks better on a stat line. There's really no disputing that.

No....you don't get fractional wins. But it's a bad look to get shut out by one of your two biggest rivals on your home field. And if you don't think Ferentz was looking forward to having that ammo.....then I think that you can also agree that he overreacted over nothing.
If we scored an honest touchdown, say in the first three quarters of the game, when it might have mattered, I would take that outcome every day.

The TD we scored was fake. I was rooting for Ferentz to put the starters back in for the last play so they could stuff us. No one can question how bitter of a person I am.

If we scored an honest touchdown, say in the first three quarters of the game, when it might have mattered, I would take that outcome every day.

The TD we scored was fake. I was rooting for Ferentz to put the starters back in for the last play so they could stuff us. No one can question how bitter of a person I am.

lol. "Honest" touchdown. It's seven point regardless. And it erased their shutout.

Bitter and jaded is not a good thing for a fan of a team to be. No reason to wish embarrassment on a team that you supposedly root for.

What? Do you flip the board when you are losing so that you don't have to finish? Nonsense. No reason for the Gophers not to try and break that shutout. Zero.

Not to mention that in a surprisingly bad year....we've got a first round talent in Bateman that hasn't put up the numbers that we were all expecting. If playing out the rest of the game nets him some stats and keeps him from dropping....that's another positive that shouldn't be overlooked.
To your point, there are 60 minutes in a game. Each team also gets 3 timeouts per half. Both teams used all of their time outs in the second half. When the time comes, run up the score on them if you so choose. Or not. Then use a "cute" little quote yourself, or not.

This team has so many other things to work on. Wasting time on a silly Ferentz quote isn't going to fix what needs to be fixed. On to Purdue.

To your point, there are 60 minutes in a game. Each team also gets 3 timeouts per half. Both teams used all of their time outs in the second half. When the time comes, run up the score on them if you so choose. Or not. Then use a "cute" little quote yourself, or not.

This team has so many other things to work on. Wasting time on a silly Ferentz quote isn't going to fix what needs to be fixed. On to Purdue.

I agree. I could care less if Ferentz called his timeouts. If he was trying to make a point....I don't think he made it.

I'd bet that a good 60-70 percent (maybe more) of teams in our position would have left their starters in as well. Again....it wasn't a couple minutes left in the game. It was nearly seven minutes remaining.

lol. "Honest" touchdown. It's seven point regardless. And it erased their shutout.

Bitter and jaded is not a good thing for a fan of a team to be. No reason to wish embarrassment on a team that you supposedly root for.
They were an embarressment. They were embarrassed, even with the fake TD at the end.

per Greder:

Minnesota’s offense was trying to manufacture a late drive and save face by scoring for the first time all evening when head coach P.J. Fleck called a timeout to help their cause. Before the next snap, Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz burned not one or two but all three of his timeouts in succession.

“We figured we’d take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here,” Ferentz said postgame.

Go Gophers!!

Both. One you want to distance your team from, the other you want to get anyway you can.
Off the top of my head, I think we shutout New Mexico State on Thurs night in 2018? Not sure if any since then, definitely not a Big Ten team?

I actually support what Ferentz did. The game was over. The Gophers were actively trying to get garbage points and Iowa mocked them for it. I am not saying the Gophers shouldn't try to score, but calling timeouts, playing more aggressive than they did all night is not the way to do it. Now, one could say, Ferentz started it by challenging the dropped ball a few plays before.

Either way, both Ferentz and Fleck were in the wrong.

Off the top of my head, I think we shutout New Mexico State on Thurs night in 2018? Not sure if any since then, definitely not a Big Ten team?
Phrased differently, only the most loyal fans of either team will remember why the Gophers got 7 ten years from now. Most will just see the score. That score will look better than a goose egg.

Just thankful that the team is relatively healthy. We better be ready for Purdue!

Purdue is slightly better than Iowa. They're even, at worst.

They'll be motivated to take revenge for last year as well. I don't see why the outcome will be significantly different, unless a whole bunch of things change significantly. Gotta try something, right?

I hope so. We will see.

What we don't know is if the team was working on something. Lets face it. For what ever reason, the offense didn't just pick up where they left off last year. They are not picking up the 'new' offense yet.

Glad Terell Smith (DB) got some work. We are going to need him against Purdue.

Purdue is slightly better than Iowa. They're even, at worst.

They'll be motivated to take revenge for last year as well. I don't see why the outcome will be significantly different, unless a whole bunch of things change significantly. Gotta try something, right?

I hope so. We will see.
Different strategy vs Purdue. Disciplined defense, and ball control offense, might keep it close. Keep it close and we have a shot. One can hope right?

This, absolutely. A TD where the highlight clip will show it’s a meaningless play against Iowa’s backups is not going to move the needle for scouts. It’s certainly not worth the risk of injury, and not worth depriving backups of playing time.

This is a nothing burger. I don't read to much in to Ferentz's comments. Iowa won the game and if he Ferentz was peeved about a timeout so what.

Do we have confirmation that Fleck called the TO? Or was it Morgan?

Grown ups being kids is what occurred. It adds to the rivalry which I love as a fan.

I agree that our starters should have been on the bench and we could have gotten film of some younger players.

Nonsense. Anybody who watched the game saw that Iowa controlled it. But breaking up a shutout at home is not a some sort of oddity.

The team has nine games this year. It doesn't help to stop competing.

I'm not surprised that you are all in favor of something that means absolutely nothing. We scored a meaningless TD to go from 35-0 to 35-7 by having our starters in at the end. That touchdown should mean absolutely nothing to everyone involved. Like I said, I'm not surprised that it means something to you.

The process is what matters. Sometimes you're lucky. It's possible we could hand the ball off to Mo 30+ times every single game this year and he doesn't get hurt. My uncle went his entire life without wearing a seatbelt. They are both bad decisions regardless of if you luck out.

The competition in that game was over. If it wasn't over, why would Fleck have even commented on the Iowa timeouts? You're making Fleck's point. If the competition is still on and we had every reason to keep our starters in the game, Iowa had every reason to call their TOs.

Kirk and his son are two peas in a pod. I've yet to see why anyone would want to play for them. In addition to that, the culture there is horrible. Noticed today the lawsuit from the black players is proceeding. This clearly will show more of what Kirk and his son are really like in my opinion.

This post only further illustrates the lack of astuteness when it comes to football fans in the Twin Cities.

Last edited:

I think it’s a bad look for Ferentz. I thought he was more stoic than he showed seemed like he kind of stooped to Fleck’s level.

I'm not surprised that you are all in favor of something that means absolutely nothing. We scored a meaningless TD to go from 35-0 to 35-7 by having our starters in at the end. That touchdown should mean absolutely nothing to everyone involved. Like I said, I'm not surprised that it means something to you.

The process is what matters. Sometimes you're lucky. It's possible we could hand the ball off to Mo 30+ times every single game this year and he doesn't get hurt. My uncle went his entire life without wearing a seatbelt. They are both bad decisions regardless of if you luck out.

The competition in that game was over. If it wasn't over, why would Fleck have even commented on the Iowa timeouts? You're making Fleck's point. If the competition is still on and we had every reason to keep our starters in the game, Iowa had every reason to call their TOs.

I'm not surprised to see you butthurt about something that apparently means nothing to you.

Stopping a shutout against one of our two biggest rivals at home isn't nothing. Maybe it is to you....but you've proven to be someone with an opinion that doesn't matter.

As for the TOs.....was there a competitive advantage to be gained by taking them? Maybe in your world. But I never claimed to care.....so I'm not sure why you are dragging them in here for any other reason but to muddy the waters of your own stupid argument.

Top Bottom