Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The best ability Jordan Murphy had here was availability!

Quote Originally Posted by EZ_ View Post
    Coffey was a special talent, but I would argue that Murph was a better recruit when looking at the impact he had on the program. He had 4 extremely productive years, never missed a single practice, great character, etc. Coffey has more talent, but we only got to see it in flashes his first two years while playing more as a complementary piece. He didn't start consistently showcasing his talent until this past season and now he's on to bigger and better things.

I'm also excited to see how Oturu and Kalscheur develop this year with the reigns in their hands.
    One other thing to consider is that Coffey will be helping this program with an NBA career. Pitino needs NBA players to point to to breakthrough with 5 star recruits more consistently. So I would argue that Coffey will have much longer term impact on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    The best ability Jordan Murphy had here was availability!
    No. Not even close to true. That's blasphemy to a Gopher great.

Does availability get you to #2 in Big Ten history in rebounding? There's no ability in that? I honestly can't believe I just read that.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterGoph View Post

Does availability get you to #2 in Big Ten history in rebounding? There's no ability in that? I honestly can't believe I just read that.
    His durability was a huge asset though, he would have never been able to climb the all-time rebounding ladder had he missed serious or maybe even moderate time due to injury

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlood666 View Post
    His durability was a huge asset though, he would have never been able to climb the all-time rebounding ladder had he missed serious or maybe even moderate time due to injury
    Sure, his durability was an asset, but to say it was his best ability is really underselling Murph. We've had plenty of durable players over the last few decades and none of them came close to being the prolific rebounder and a top scorer that Murph was.

Sure, his durability was an asset, but to say it was his best ability is really underselling Murph. We've had plenty of durable players over the last few decades and none of them came close to being the prolific rebounder and a top scorer that Murph was.
    We've also had players with his skill who could not stop from getting hurt (Trevor Mbakwe), having both durability and skill is what has made Murphy in to an all-time great with this team

I believe he only missed one game. The last one and he still got PT in that one!

You don't get as high on the records list averaging under 20/game unless you play in all the games.

Do you have any idea how many coaches would be in line to sign a guy who you know will man the four spot for four years!

I believe he only missed one game. The last one and he still got PT in that one!

You don't get as high on the records list averaging under 20/game unless you play in all the games.

Do you have any idea how many coaches would be in line to sign a guy who you know will man the four spot for four years!
    Nearly every single one. Also, being durable is part of being great.

Of course a player has to be durable to get the numbers to add up, but saying that is the primary reason he will be remembered is totally ignoring his talents. He almost averaged a double double over his career (9.8, 13.5). He did average a double double his last two years overall and in conference play! Many durable basketball players can only dream of doing that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Of course a player has to be durable to get the numbers to add up, but saying that is the primary reason he will be remembered is totally ignoring his talents. He almost averaged a double double over his career (9.8, 13.5). He did average a double double his last two years overall and in conference play! Many durable basketball players can only dream of doing that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1

Jordan Murphy put up historical numbers while he was here. To put up those kind of career numbers, you do need to be durable, but there are plenty of guys who are consistently available to play during their career and don't become one of the top rebounders in conference history.

2020 Mitchell
    2019 Ihnen, Williams
    2018 Oturu (stud), Kalesheur 3* (diamond in the rough)
    2017 Washington (flamed out)
    2016 Coffey, Curry (ranked 114)
    2015 Dorsey (flamed out), Murphy 3* (best recruit ever for Pitino)

That's a pretty good haul of talent for a team stuck in the bottom half of the B1G for a while. He is set up to land his best class yet if he gets 2 of Mashburn, Walton and Garcia. Recruiting definitely is showing an increase in quality as the years go by.

I'm not even including Carr and Willis, although I think Carr may have been a 4*.

You can complain about the teams records since he has been here, but you cannot say he isn't building up the program in talent despite missing the big fishes from Minnesota so far. Without the bad luck and poor off-court decisions by players, you could easily point out the program is going up!

You go Pitino!

Go Gophers!
    4 stars?

Mitchell?
    https://247sports.com/college/minnes...tball/Commits/

Williams?
    https://247sports.com/player/tre-williams-46046489/

Stop being a dink. You should fully understand that 247 has their individual rankings as well as a composite ranking. Their individual rankings for these two players is different than the composite.

They are both composite 3 stars, but they are also both 4 stars in 247’s rankings. Gabe Kalscheur was also a 4 star in the 247 rankings.

Both Mitchell and Williams were four stars on Rivals as well. Guessing ESPN brings down their composites, but they don't pay attention past the top 100

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

No because I’ve seen our roster this year.