Realistic expectations

Some guy

Reaction score
Now that a big ten title is out of the question. What are your realistic expectations for this team?

I think they win 7-8 conference games and make a run in the NIT.
I think that makes 2017-2018 a make the NCAA or bust kind of year for Richard Pitino.

Win 9-10 conference games (6-7 of the remaining 12) and get to the NCAA Tournament. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon because of 2 bad games. I think the full week of practice comes at a good time and I fully expect this team to go out next Saturday and beat Wisconsin.

Phew. I agree that the people are jumping off the bandwagon too soon and this has always been a team that is much better at home than on the road but expecting to beat Wisconsin is a tough ask. I just hope we play better. My expectations are back to where they were after the non conference. 8-9 big ten wins and slightly on either side of the bubble. Which I'd be satisfied with heading into next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This offense is monotonous. Defense is good, except pick n roll defense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NIT. We have to hope that everyone comes back (stays out of trouble) and the two new comers can put us over the edge for the NCAAs. It's still possible this year, but that was as ugly as I've seen today.

Win 9-10 conference games (6-7 of the remaining 12) and get to the NCAA Tournament. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon because of 2 bad games. I think the full week of practice comes at a good time and I fully expect this team to go out next Saturday and beat Wisconsin.

Yeah. I'm not jumping off anything, I just don't think this team was ever going to be a 12+ win team in conference.

Beat Purdue, great win on the road.
Lost to Penn State
Swept by Michigan state.
Beat Ohio state at home. Ohio state likely the second or third worst in conference this year.
Beat northwestern on the road, who despite yearly media hype are still the only team in the Big Ten to have never made the tourney.

Not enough good compared to bad there to change my preseason expectation much.
Going into the year I thought they'd be better and battling for an NIT birth. Now I think they'll be comfortably in the NiT

Thought 6-7 B1G wins and a NIT bid gets Pitino another year coming off last season.

However, the 3-1 start and 24 ranking raised expectations. If they end up winning only 3-4 more conference games the rest of the year that would have to been seen as a disappointment.

Didn't SS say at one point 3-6 in the first half of B1G play, and we'd be comfortable going into the latter half of the conference season?

Didn't SS say at one point 3-6 in the first half of B1G play, and we'd be comfortable going into the latter half of the conference season?

In his Journey to the Tourney thread he has 10-8 as a lock If that is the case I wouldn't see needing to go 7-2 the second half of the conference season as comfortable.

I still expect them to win 9-10 games and make the tournament. Last week 11 or 12 looked possible, but now we're back to where we were pre-Northwestern.

Win 9-10 conference games (6-7 of the remaining 12) and get to the NCAA Tournament. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon because of 2 bad games.

Yes, but the remaining schedule is pretty tough: 4 games with two of the best teams in the conference (Maryland and Wisconsin); one game with Indiana; despite their troubles, Nebraska continues to play tough; Iowa and Illinois have woken up; and Michigan isn't a gimme.

6-7 games at the most. I've seen enough of them now to see the problems Pitino is dealing with
I did think Murphy would show improvement this year. but he hasn't adjusted to playing out front, and when he does get the ball down low more often than not, he turns it over. He hasn't yet realized that you can't put the ball on the floor 6-7 times before you make a move Very high school like.

Yes, but the remaining schedule is pretty tough: 4 games with two of the best teams in the conference (Maryland and Wisconsin); one game with Indiana; despite their troubles, Nebraska continues to play tough; Iowa and Illinois have woken up; and Michigan isn't a gimme.
True but the B1G is tough period. I like that 7 of the remaining 12 are at The Barn. I don't think there is a team in this conference that the Gophers aren't capable of beating either.

5-2 at home. Grab one more on the road and they sitting at 9-9 going into big 10 tourney. Probably a bubble team at that point. Very doable, win 2 on the road and sitting in good shape. A lot to play for yet

3-4 more wins and a bubble NIT team. I think we probably lose to Wisconsin and then at that point the mental psyche will be very weak, to the point where we could lose to anyone anywhere. At that point even the Rutgers game will become a struggle. Hope I'm wrong, but my confidence in this team is totally shot.

3-4 more wins and a bubble NIT team. I think we probably lose to Wisconsin and then at that point the mental psyche will be very weak, to the point where we could lose to anyone anywhere. At that point even the Rutgers game will become a struggle. Hope I'm wrong, but my confidence in this team is totally shot.

I don't think it's a question of psyche. I think we could lose to anybody anywhere anyway. But I also think we're capable of beating anybody anywhere as well.

I don't think it's a question of psyche. I think we could lose to anybody anywhere anyway. But I also think we're capable of beating anybody anywhere as well.

Agree with this

In the span of two games we've gone from top 25 to "hopefully we make the NIT."

"I'll stick with my prediction of 8 conference wins. Nothing has changed, besides that we can't win 18 conference games this season of course" - Drake University Gopher post 1st MSU game. Just reminding everyone that we're still favorites to go 10-6 according to Sagarin. We're still the borderline NCAA tourney team projected at the beginning. We did boost our resume quite a bit beating NW and Purdue on the road. No bad losses and we're fine.

Some of you guys are ridiculous. This is still a good team. You don't go from 8 total wins to a Final Four in 1 year. What did you actually expect? If there is a thread like this created before the season I would be willing to bet this team has already surpassed most of those preseason expectations. Chill the f*** out and enjoy the ride. This is a very young team. Growing pains are to be expected. This is still a good team that should make the tourney.

I think people equate 'ugly' basketball with bad. That was an ugly game today. But Penn State is not some horrible team. They've already won 3 B1G games. We didn't just lose to 2015-16 Rutgers.

It's almost like I called a Gopherhole meltdown yesterday. Yes today's loss was terrible, no we are not terrible.

B1G expectations as of now:
10-8 or better = good year and NCAA birth.
9-9 = Pretty good year, bubble team.
8-10 = Successful year given preseason expectations, but disappointing at this point.
7-11 or worse = unlikely IMO and would be a very disappointing B1G season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expectations are absolutely the NCAA tournament and I still feel like a winning conference record is on the table. We're four years in with Coach Pitino, you can't get much more "reasonable" than just expecting to be in the NCAA tournament. Before today I was hoping that we'd be talking seeding in February instead of sweating out every game...I still hope that is the case but don't expect it any longer.

9-9 lose first game in the big ten tourney and go to the NIT. Hope I am wrong and they make the tourney.

Top Bottom