Star Tribune: Gophers football players plan to threaten boycott of bowl game

No it wouldn't. The 1st Ammendement protects people from the government punishing people for what they say. A football team could kick you off the roster for claiming the sky is blue.

A couple of thoughts:

So the inmates want to run the insane asylum. The last time this happened we ended up hiring a guy named Gutekunsk. Let that sink in for a moment.

Fast forward 30-years to today.
"In San Diego, Claeys insisted the absence of the suspended players will not be a distraction when Minnesota plays Washington State at Qualcomm Stadium on Dec. 27."
http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/14/gophers-football-players-request-formal-hearing-on-suspensions/
Good one Tracy, good one!

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you don't care.

This stuff never happens at Florida, Miami, Alabama, or Michigan mind you.

Brendan Gibbons, the former starting kicker for the University of Michigan football team, has been "permanently separated" from the university, according to a letter sent to Gibbons by the school's office of student conflict resolution. The contents of the letter were reviewed and reported by the Michigan Daily.

Gibbons is currently a graduate student at Michigan, and his expulsion is related to an alleged 2009 incident that saw Gibbons accused of raping a woman at a frat party. At the time, the accuser spoke to police and described the alleged rape, but eventually decided not to press charges.

The university's decision to expel Gibbons does not mean that he has been found guilty of rape or that he will even be charged. The OSCR's investigation was not a criminal one, and the university does not need prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Gibbons sexually assaulted someone in order to expel him. A student can be expelled for alleged misconduct as long as there is a "preponderance of evidence" against the student.

http://deadspin.com/former-michigan-kicker-expelled-for-sexual-misconduct-1511488287

Complete BS. Trying something else. College players get kicked off teams everywhere in the country for violating the Student Code of Conduct.

Actually, he's pretty spot on.

Saying they consulted Claeys does not mean that he was one of the people who actually made the decision. People should be smart enough to know that. The phrasing made it obvious, otherwise they would have just said that the Athletic Department and coaching staff agreed on the discipline actions.

And the student privacy issue is real and they do not have a choice.

IF Claeys is being insubordinate, it will be house cleaning time.

If TC is going to stand up to his superiors misrepresenting his involvement then I have never wanted him as coach more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saying they consulted Claeys does not mean that he was one of the people who actually made the decision. People should be smart enough to know that. The phrasing made it obvious, otherwise they would have just said that the Athletic Department and coaching staff agreed on the discipline actions.

They worded it very poorly, not clearly. They shouldn't have even brought Claeys into it if he wasn't supporting it. It was a spineless thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked with someone close to the team. His summary of the logic being used:

Players put themselves in a bad situation. But those players paid for that mistake by being suspended while the police and county investigated the incident. When charges were not filed, due to insufficient evidence, the issue should have been completely settled. Certainly settled after the announcement of a agreement between all parties to end the restraining order.

The team feels that people within the University administration did not approve of the conclusion drawn by the police investigation and decided to take action on their own, with out any of the due process that was afforded the players during the police investigation. Then the statement, about not being able to provide details due to privacy concerns, really set them off as the team feels rather strongly that players privacy rights were violated several times during this entire sage. That, more than anything, is what has unified the team - the lack of transparency and due process.

You may agree/disagree with their logic and their decision. But I find myself rather impressed that these young man came together to form a reasonable decision on such a volatile topic.

If the team does boycott the bowl game, stick a fork in the program for a while. There will be some real interesting lawsuits and you thought this years' attendance was bad, it will likely get worse. The program has been hemorrhaging fans and support and the longer this continues the worse it will get. Embarrassing to the University and to the Big 10.

I can't believe some of you think that the U administration is going to negotiate with the players on this. That seems highly unlikely, virtually impossible. That is not the way an organization like the U works. This is in issue of institutional control. I know many of you think of the U primarily in terms of athletics, but that is only a small part of the organization. The administration will look at this as a challenge to there control, and will not be impressed.

You should probably do a little research on what happened at Missouri. Here, I'll help you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_University_of_Missouri_protests

I guess your attempt at being witty and funny. Meh.
Nope. Although I think changing the universities name to "Castration U" may have a certain ring of truth to it. [emoji41]

Absolutely the most clueless post in any thread today. The only players who know what really happened are those who were in the room. And their attorney has taken great pains to make sure they all have their stories straight.

You say only those who were in the room know what happened, yet in just about every post you've made, you're acting like you have all the facts. Maybe you should listen to yourself and stop acting like you know for sure what happened.

Are you having trouble reading or something. Who said Claeys was just "consulted"?

Kalers exact letter said, "Rest assured, the decision by Tracy Claeys which was made in consultation with our Athletics Director Mark Coyle, is based on facts and on our University's values."

Why does someone make the decision to do all of this the suspensions announcements, after they have accepted the bid to the bowl game in the first place. Nobody in their right decision making mind would make that kind of judgement, accepting the bowl bid in the first place if they new this sh!t storm was on the horizon. They had to know these kind of announcements, and what they have done to the players, and the reactions the players would have was going to happen. You plan for all of the contigency's, they are going to end up rescinding the acceptance of the bid and paying the organizers of the bowl game a big lump sum of money for breach of contract that they could have avoided by waiting until after the bowl game. Could have even kept the players off the roster that were suspended leading up to the bowl game and siad they are suspended for violations of team rules. But know create your own PR nightmare our University has.

There is no comparison to Missouri, the situations aren't remotely the same. At Missouri the football team joined a University wide protest about how the admin dealt with racial harassment at the University. They had the majority of the academic world on their side, along with the student body, and they were positioned in the news media as fighting racial injustice.

The University is going to have the academic world on their side in this case and the media is going to position it as the players protesting against punishing players for sexual assault. This has way more in common with the Yale case, and a similar outcome is probably a best case scenario here.

If the team does boycott the bowl game, stick a fork in the program for a while. There will be some real interesting lawsuits and you thought this years' attendance was bad, it will likely get worse. The program has been hemorrhaging fans and support and the longer this continues the worse it will get. Embarrassing to the University and to the Big 10.

This whole mess is disgusting. None of us should pretend we know what happened that night other than multiple bad decisions by immature students. There are many unanswered questions but why did this committee wait from 9/2 until now for this major decision. If there were so many concerns they should have acted faster. Also, as stated earlier where is the leadership ? Any benefit of the doubt I was giving to Coyle has evaporated and he has basically been absent. We have had season tickets for years but this may be the final straw.

You should probably do a little research on what happened at Missouri. Here, I'll help you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_University_of_Missouri_protests

Umm, I don't believe the analogy is quite as strong as you seem to imply. In Missouri there were a number of events that created the situation--a perfect storm. In the scenario in Minnesota you have one event.

I also think it is interesting to note that the anti pc crowd was against the students at Missouri. Today, of course, the anti pc crowd is supporting the students.

This whole mess is disgusting. None of us should pretend we know what happened that night other than multiple bad decisions by immature students. There are many unanswered questions but why did this committee wait from 9/2 until now for this major decision. If there were so many concerns they should have acted faster. Also, as stated earlier where is the leadership ? Any benefit of the doubt I was giving to Coyle has evaporated and he has basically been absent. We have had season tickets for years but this may be the final straw.

Totally agree, well said.

There is no comparison to Missouri, the situations aren't remotely the same. At Missouri the football team joined a University wide protest about how the admin dealt with racial harassment at the University. They had the majority of the academic world on their side, along with the student body, and they were positioned in the news media as fighting racial injustice.

The University is going to have the academic world on their side in this case and the media is going to position it as the players protesting against punishing players for sexual assault. This has way more in common with the Yale case, and a similar outcome is probably a best case scenario here.

I agree. And I appreciate the irony of "GGAllen" being the poster distinguishing the nuances of the situations.

10 black men suspended for being black and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This situation has racism written all over it. Institutional racism at its finest is on full display.

No it wouldn't. The 1st Ammendement protects people from the government punishing people for what they say. A football team could kick you off the roster for claiming the sky is blue.

Sorry, bud, but you really need to brush up on your constitutional law.

It is the cowards like UpNorth who want to bypass due process because due process leads to the truth. And that would get in the way of UpNorth's narrative that some blacks raped a girl and need to be run out of town.

Top Bottom