All Things Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread

So I guess we likely won't be getting any Gopher related 2020 bball commitment news until the 25th?

Waiting ..... is the hardest part ....

I think the timing looked to be telling, but didn't actually matter. I think considering where Willis chose to go, he wanted a larger role in the offense and that it was solely his choice to leave and there was no pressure given to him to go.

Was he advised to have a larger role somewhere if he wants to get a contract overseas or do people think it was just personal preference.

Was he advised to have a larger role somewhere if he wants to get a contract overseas or do people think it was just personal preference.
I think both can be true. Lean towards the second one, but that’s me speculating

per Sid:

• ESPN ranked new Gophers hoops transfer Brandon Johnson as the 13th-best graduate transfer in the nation and the No. 4 power forward. “His size and rebounding ability should make an impact in the Big Ten,” ESPN wrote.

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• ESPN ranked new Gophers hoops transfer Brandon Johnson as the 13th-best graduate transfer in the nation and the No. 4 power forward. “His size and rebounding ability should make an impact in the Big Ten,” ESPN wrote.

Go Gophers!!
With Liam and Brandon, it looks like the U is landing some of the "big time" recruits that some local fans though they had 0% chance...

Will be quite an interesting season if everyone we hope will play, plays.

According to 247, right now the Gophers 2020 class has the 4th best rating in the B1G coming in at 94.32. Michigan State leads with 97.79, then Illinois at 96.09, Michigan at 94.80, and then the Gophers. The BADgers are a distant 9th ranked team, coming in at 90.67, and Iowa is dead last at 80.82. And, for the Gophers that doesn't include Johnson or Robbins, as they don't have rankings. I'll take that any day.

According to 247, right now the Gophers 2020 class has the 4th best rating in the B1G coming in at 94.32. Michigan State leads with 97.79, then Illinois at 96.09, Michigan at 94.80, and then the Gophers. The BADgers are a distant 9th ranked team, coming in at 90.67, and Iowa is dead last at 80.82. And, for the Gophers that doesn't include Johnson or Robbins, as they don't have rankings. I'll take that any day.
Wow. If a miracle happens and we sign Walton, that ranking would be crazy.

Who knows. Most people don't make tough decisions at the snap of a finger. Possible that the tipping point was when Johnson committed, as that means Ihnen will likely play more minutes at the 3, so now Willis would have had to compete with both Mashburn and Ihnen. Ihnen is progressing fast and has a very high ceiling, so he could very well be a better player than Willis next year.
I thought he was at the end of last year!

Better check that again. Recruiting has not been the problem. We have recruited on par with UW and UVA over 7 years, ranking higher some years, lower some years. But they evealuated at a far higher level and taught and won at a far higher level.

Checked it, I'm right. We're 4th in the B1G, your beloved BADgers are a distant 9th, and Iowa is dead last. I'm good with that, especially when you also add Johnson and Robbins onto our team.
You must be reading the points per recruit rating instead of the class ranking.

Checked it, I'm right. We're 4th in the B1G, your beloved BADgers are a distant 9th, and Iowa is dead last. I'm good with that, especially when you also add Johnson and Robbins onto our team.

Already a very good class, I hope he saves the last scholarship for a quality four year player or a grad transfer.

With Liam and Brandon, it looks like the U is landing some of the "big time" recruits that some local fans though they had 0% chance...
I like our 4 guys so far coming in. Were gonna add one more. With that being said, I'm not sure why your mentioning Wisconsin is a distant 9th in rankings. Not sure what that means other than nothing. I'm sure weve had plenty of classes better than wisconsin in last 20 years, but never finish ahead of them in standings.

I like our 4 guys so far coming in. Were gonna add one more. With that being said, I'm not sure why your mentioning Wisconsin is a distant 9th in rankings. Not sure what that means other than nothing. I'm sure weve had plenty of classes better than wisconsin in last 20 years, but never finish ahead of them in standings.
We have had plenty and you're right about the standings part which is most important. That being said, this class has potential and I'm excited about it, but we need to continue our improvement of developing talent.

We have had plenty and you're right about the standings part which is most important. That being said, this class has potential and I'm excited about it, but we need to continue our improvement of developing talent.
I'm very excited about next year. Be nice to add a really good 5th guy too. Your right about developing the talent. Obviously, be nice to get walton. Our team in 2 years with walton could be very good also.

I'm very excited about next year. Be nice to add a really good 5th guy too. Your right about developing the talent. Obviously, be nice to get walton. Our team in 2 years with walton could be very good also.

We have some good ins with 2021 recruits too. Jeter and Linsted coming in helped Richard realize he needs to get in earlier with recruits. Now lets hope guys Jeter had a strong relationship with guys like Collins, but we have some good foundations. If we can play better defense this year (BIG IF because I've yet to see us truly play good defense), we will continue to get better kids and win more.

Agree. We have had several classes that could have become very good teams in the past 20 years but we have a common thread why we have not done it. Hard to believe how long it has been since a top 3 finish.

This says we're 8th: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Wisconsin 3rd.

I don't know what "points" means, but that's the default sorting.

He was going by average per recruit which we are higher. It's like our last class was considered high by points, but not average per recruit. Rankings are pretty pointless anyways as who's really ranking them? Not a real strong science and guys get penalized if they commit early.

He was going by average per recruit which we are higher. It's like our last class was considered high by points, but not average per recruit. Rankings are pretty pointless anyways as who's really ranking them? Not a real strong science and guys get penalized if they commit early.
Exactly. TIME WILL REVEAL WHICH CLASS WINS MORE.

WILL IT? what is your actual message here??

Obviously your question is rhetorical. We don't even need to read Built's posts anymore. The message is literally a rotation of the same few themes: Top 4 finishes, need the right coach, Virginia does this and some random and vague note about another school's recruiting/prospect that we have zero interest in.

Obviously your question is rhetorical. We don't even need to read Built's posts anymore. The message is literally a rotation of the same few themes: Top 4 finishes, need the right coach, Virginia does this and some random and vague note about another school's recruiting/prospect that we have zero interest in.

He seems to only respect Gard, Bennett, and Texas Tech coach

He seems to only respect Gard, Bennett, and Texas Tech coach

The Texas Tech coach is named Chris Beard and he's phenomenal. He's also said good things about Jay Wright and many others who in the industry are pretty well respected. Why is it not ok to respect elite coaches?

The Texas Tech coach is named Chris Beard and he's phenomenal. He's also said good things about Jay Wright and many others who in the industry are pretty well respected. Why is it not ok to respect elite coaches?

Nobody said it's not okay. At all. What's nauseating is literally nearly every post ties back to how our coach isn't good enough and if we were smart we'd have one of these handful of coaches that are mentioned in the last few posts.

Dude, we get it. We got it a few years ago. The coaching situation is not changing for next season. Talk about something that WE CAN control.

Thanks, I was blanking on his name

It's not, I think they're good coaches too. Sadly the college programs is > # great coaches.

A program like MN probably has to gamble a little and for younger coach that isn't yet considered great, because Gard, Bennett, Beard, Wright, aren't going to come to MN at this point..sure, maybe in a few years when they just want a retirement job and MN wants a name, they might be open too it

I like @builtbadgers and his contribution. I tire of the shots to Pitino and gophers and love for wisconsin/bennetts. I think he can make a lot of his points without reference what Tony Bennett did or what Greg Gard does

Top Bottom