All Things Dredrick Snelson Thread

New coach at UCF "doesn't want to recruit prima-donnas"

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Scott-Frost-I-dont-want-kids-who-want-to-be-recruited

“I think recruiting has become a circus,” Frost said on Open Mike radio show. “In some ways, that’s good. Long-term, I don’t want to recruit a lot of guys here who are going to be prima-donnas and wait until the last day to put four or five hats on a table and keep teams hostage to wait and see what they’re going to do. I want kids who want to be at UCF, not kids that want to be recruited.

There are no prima donnas at UFC. I got it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He did preface the statement with, "Long term..." That means, "I'm going to put up with it for now if it lands me an in-state highly touted WR prospect."

An out of state kid flipped his commitment at the last minute and people are acting like he shot their dog or something. If a Minnesota kid flipped last minute form somewhere else to come here we would be praising him like crazy. Verbal commitments mean next to nothing in the current recruiting landscape. He didn't come here, time to move on.

Many a day I thought I would be banned. That was some time ago. Now, I just want Snelson to be forgotten, just like me.

I was banned for a bit and I also want Snelson to go like a fart in the wind. Gone and easily forgotten.

An out of state kid flipped his commitment at the last minute and people are acting like he shot their dog or something. If a Minnesota kid flipped last minute form somewhere else to come here we would be praising him like crazy. Verbal commitments mean next to nothing in the current recruiting landscape. He didn't come here, time to move on.

Most people were not surprised he went somewhere else. But this was anything but a normal recruiting process.

You keep saying this, and yet I've already shown you that it's not true. Stop.
I believe the point he's trying to make is that a verbal commitment isn't a guarantee that a player will sign and teenagers often change their minds. Not always or even most of the time, but there are many instances annually that illustrate that a verbal is not 100% binding. I think perhaps you understand this and are arguing semantics. Stop. (It's fun pretending to type a telegram. Stop.)

I believe the point he's trying to make is that a verbal commitment isn't a guarantee that a player will sign and teenagers often change their minds. Not always or even most of the time, but there are many instances annually that illustrate that a verbal is not 100% binding. I think perhaps you understand this and are arguing semantics. Stop. (It's fun pretending to type a telegram. Stop.)

I understand what DPO is trying to say. A relatively high % of players who make verbal commitments eventually go on to sign with that school. But, the other side is also true: a verbal is not a binding agreement. players make verbal commitments, then de-commit or flip - and I don't have any # to back it up, but it certainly seems as if more kids are de-committing or flipping in recent years. So, you are both partially correct.

I was banned for a bit and I also want Snelson to go like a fart in the wind. Gone and easily forgotten.
Unfortunately he was crop dusting the Gopher faithful for a while and it is now that we realize what we thought was an interesting smell is actually the reality of what went down.

I understand what DPO is trying to say. A relatively high % of players who make verbal commitments eventually go on to sign with that school. But, the other side is also true: a verbal is not a binding agreement. players make verbal commitments, then de-commit or flip - and I don't have any # to back it up, but it certainly seems as if more kids are de-committing or flipping in recent years. So, you are both partially correct.

DPO only sees things in the black and white, facts and figures way, and can't handle generalizations. I understand that the majority of players that verbally commit to a school end up signing with that school on NSD. But as you point out a verbal is not binding in any way for either the player or the school. The school can pull their offer and the kid can flip to another school at any time during the process for any reason.

So yeah when I say a verbal doesn't mean anything it is simply from the standpoint that giving your verbal commitment doesn't guarantee you are going to sign with the school. There are still a lot of fans that look at verbals as some sort of guarantee that the kid is going to sign there.

I think it has to do with the disingenuous way he kept saying he was loyal. In the overall scheme of things, he is nothing to fret about. It was the journey and not the outcome that keeps it interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am under the impression when local kids give Minnesota a verbal commitment they are almost 100% a sure thing but the out state kid seems to be another story.

We are fortunate he did not sign. Kids like him are punks and bring as much or more bad than they do good.

So yeah when I say a verbal doesn't mean anything it is simply from the standpoint that giving your verbal commitment doesn't guarantee you are going to sign with the school.

So just say that then.

So just say that then.
Take a deep breath. I think you'll survive his minor transgression. Seems as though you're either letting it ruin your day or you are of the belief that you have a greater authority than others on the board. Stop. (I'm getting to really like the telegram thing. Stop.)

No. I never said that I wouldn't. Nope. Neither of those things are true.
I was hoping I could get you to disagree with me! Mission accomplished. Now, how many of the rest of you can make that claim? It ain't easy to bring out dpo the contrarian. Now, if I could bring out some absolutism I'd really be onto something.

I was hoping I could get you to disagree with me! Mission accomplished. Now, how many of the rest of you can make that claim? It ain't easy to bring out dpo the contrarian. Now, if I could bring out some absolutism I'd really be onto something.

A contrarian is someone who goes against popular opinion in order to be different or special. I rarely argue on the basis of opinions, because they're fleeting and have no standard to measure against. I prefer to argue on the basis of facts, as many of the posters here like to ignore facts and push their agendas, both of which are annoying to me. So suck it and really bring out the gangbusters for your 277th post.

A contrarian is someone who goes against popular opinion in order to be different or special. I rarely argue on the basis of opinions, because they're fleeting and have no standard to measure against. I prefer to argue on the basis of facts, as many of the posters here like to ignore facts and push their agendas, both of which are annoying to me. So suck it and really bring out the gangbusters for your 277th post.
Got to love it when dpo pulls out the number of posts card.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Got to love it when dpo pulls out the number of posts card.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Got to love it when GoldenUMNGopher posts about me and in response to one of my posts. Oh wait, that's at least 95% of your posts.

Top Bottom