All Things Shamorie Ponds Recruiting Thread - UPDATED 9/16/15: Visit cancelled

Come on guys...we didn't cool on Ponds because we might get whomever. If Ponds wanted to be a Gopher he'd be a committ and Pitino would be happy. So Pitino went to visit him in his own home last week to tell him we are probably out of scholarships?? Right now we got one guy verbaled. Come on...

I'm guessing Ponds just flat out didn't want to come here. Now lets get Coffee and Curry and I'll be happy!

I guess dropping Hurt isn't an option because of his little brother? Cause Ponds, Coffee, Curry is better than Hurt, Coffee, Curry, Right?

Its curious for sure that Ponds took his visit to Providence (I think that's where it was) after the St. Johns visit but then didn't come to Minnesota even after a Pitino home visit. I understand why our minds would wander and want to believe that we "cooled on Ponds because xyz". Fact of the matter is, Ponds may have just decided, I don't want to go to Minnesota, I really liked my St. Johns visit and thats where I want to go.

Maroon colored glasses want me to connect the dots and say it was because we have commitments pending with Coffee and Curry, but we've seen way weirder things happen and in Pitino's tenure there have been many commited players that we knew nothing about prior to their commitement. I'll bet on that trend continuing rather than changing.

I guess dropping Hurt isn't an option because of his little brother? Cause Ponds, Coffee, Curry is better than Hurt, Coffee, Curry, Right?

No way would you run off Hurt. He'll be one of the best 3-point shooters on the team, the minute he steps foot on campus. You can never have enough good shooters. His all-around game is a bit underrated as well. He is a willing passer and has improved scoring inside the 3-point line. Plus the reason you mentioned above. If Hurt has a nice experience here it can only help with Matthew.

I haven't seen Hurt in action, when you say he's a good shooter, who does he compare to. Are we talking Hoffarber or Jacobsen?

Its curious for sure that Ponds took his visit to Providence (I think that's where it was) after the St. Johns visit but then didn't come to Minnesota even after a Pitino home visit. I understand why our minds would wander and want to believe that we "cooled on Ponds because xyz". Fact of the matter is, Ponds may have just decided, I don't want to go to Minnesota, I really liked my St. Johns visit and thats where I want to go.

Maroon colored glasses want me to connect the dots and say it was because we have commitments pending with Coffee and Curry, but we've seen way weirder things happen and in Pitino's tenure there have been many commited players that we knew nothing about prior to their commitement. I'll bet on that trend continuing rather than changing.

If we assume they won't over-sign in the fall.....until proven differently, I think we should assume that is the case....I'm not sure the Curry signing has any bearing on Ponds, but the Coffey signing absolutely would. If you only signed Hurt, Coffey, and Ponds, who would play the four next year? Diedhiou and Buggs? It just seems to me they probably want Coffey/Ponds and then a power forward. They would already have very good options at the point and shooting guard. Purely speculation.

I haven't seen Hurt in action, when you say he's a good shooter, who does he compare to. Are we talking Hoffarber or Jacobsen?

It'd be tough to compare him to Hoffarber, he was one of the best 3-point shooters in the country, so I'd say somewhere in between. Like I said earlier, his all around game is a bit underrated as well. He finds ways to contribute. He is a high major player, and who knows what kind offers he would have if his recruitment was still open. I know Stanford was very close to offering before he committed here.

Are you forgetting Jordan Murphy? Some think he can take Joey King's spot this year..It would be just fine with Diedhiou, Buggs, and Murphy at the 4

Is Murphy more of a 3/4 or is he exclusively a 4? Was thinking he was more on the wing but a good rebounder. I haven't seen him play.

To those saying Ponds isn't coming here because Minnesota won't over sign are incorrect, Pitino would have taken all 3 and figured out things later, this was the only case the staff would have over signed. This is Ponds decision not to come to Minnesota and if he were to reconsider he would be welcomed with open arms by the staff.

Is Murphy more of a 3/4 or is he exclusively a 4? Was thinking he was more on the wing but a good rebounder. I haven't seen him play.

I think he is mainly a 4 that can play the 3 if needed. I haven't seen him play, but from what I've read I think this

I think he is mainly a 4 that can play the 3 if needed. I haven't seen him play, but from what I've read I think this

Here is Jordan's Senior season highlight video.

[video]http://www.hudl.com/v/Hcwrs[/video]

We need Ponds less than we need Curry, Hurt, and Coffey. This stinks, but it is ok as long as we get Coffey and Curry!

THis is crazy talk! Michael committed early and is easily capable of playing at a high level in the big ten. He will shoot the lights out and frankly is a solid all around player. He played really well in the summer AAU circuit.. I know Ryan James said he dominated the Marquette forward they have committed (who is still in rivals top 150)... Hurt is very talented and wants to be here badly... I'd take that any day!

We need Ponds less than we need Curry, Hurt, and Coffey. This stinks, but it is ok as long as we get Coffey and Curry!
Well, they are thin at pg beyond Dorsey/Mason... ideally you want at least three options but I would assume Pitino is comfortable going into next year with McBrayer/Coffey as the emergency pg options.. Don't forget, Frankie Hughes from Ohio is still set to visit next weekend. Looks like a 6'3 combo guard who can score.

My assumption is this year he plays both spots.. 3 and the 4... next year I think he's the starting PF.

Our starting lineup next year: Dorsey/Mason/Fitzgerald/Murphy/Lynch

Can sub in McBrayer or Coffey for Fitzgerald too.

Again -- I qualified my original comment twice by stating and implying I would still put my money on Ponds being the question mark here. I do understand we have lost a player unexpectedly pretty much every year. However, could you point me in the direction of where at any point we had more players signed than we had spots. I don't recall that happening here (although I didn't follow this as closely pre-Pitino). It hasn't happened since Pitino has been here. I personally believe if Coffey signs, we still have a massive hole at the four and that would be the focus. Between Mason/Dorsey/Coffey, we would be really in a good spot at the 1 and 2.
If the Gophers don't land Curry, they still have Murphy/Buggs/Diedhiou at the 4 next year... plenty of depth. Is BK ok with the fact that he's starting this year but has no chance to start over Lynch the year after?

If the Gophers don't land Curry, they still have Murphy/Buggs/Diedhiou at the 4 next year... plenty of depth. Is BK ok with the fact that he's starting this year but has no chance to start over Lynch the year after?

Lynch fouls alot. There will be plenty of minutes available for BK during the 2016-17 season. It's not like Lynch will play 30mpg.

To those saying Ponds isn't coming here because Minnesota won't over sign are incorrect, Pitino would have taken all 3 and figured out things later, this was the only case the staff would have over signed. This is Ponds decision not to come to Minnesota and if he were to reconsider he would be welcomed with open arms by the staff. I think

Fixed it for ya.

And I aboslutely believe that Pitino would oversign. I won't believe the University of Minnesota would over sign until I see it

My feeling is that Ponds was sold on St. John's and that his dad wanted him to take one more visit to make sure. He met with all four coaches recruiting him, then took his visit to Providence and still wants to go to St John's, so they're ending the process now. It's kind of crazy to think that if Steve Lavin held on to that job for another year (it seemed like he would), the Gophers might have Ellison and Ponds. Instead, Lavin is fired and Mullin beats Pitino out for two guys I liked a lot.

My feeling is that Ponds was sold on St. John's and that his dad wanted him to take one more visit to make sure. He met with all four coaches recruiting him, then took his visit to Providence and still wants to go to St John's, so they're ending the process now. It's kind of crazy to think that if Steve Lavin held on to that job for another year (it seemed like he would), the Gophers might have Ellison and Ponds. Instead, Lavin is fired and Mullin beats Pitino out for two guys I liked a lot.

Pretty much my take as well, his heart was set on St. John's. Agree with everything in this post.

Isn't Kimani Young supposed to be our ace New York recruiter? A guy that has known Ponds his entire life?

It's not shocking that Ponds is staying home, but it seems like a pretty big whiff that we couldn't even get him on campus for an OV.

Isn't Kimani Young supposed to be our ace New York recruiter? A guy that has known Ponds his entire life?

It's not shocking that Ponds is staying home, but it seems like a pretty big whiff that we couldn't even get him on campus for an OV.

To me, it seems like he wanted to committ after the St. Johns visit, but his dad wanted him to be prudent and take at least one more visit to be sure. Ryan James also said that he has had only a couple weekends off since early June and could be just tired of traveling, and since he already had a good idea of where he was going, why take the visit?

We seem to get a lot of interest and are on short lists of some of the top east coast guys. However we seldom get a visit and never a commit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom