Deja Vu All Over Again: A look back to last year's opener reaction.

BarnBoy

Reaction score

And by the next Thursday last year, we were back as sleeper contenders for the title.

A few things.

1. Grow up. Most of us enjoyed the win.

2. You're complaining about people examining the play of our quarterback in a thread that asks people to discuss how well he played. What's your problem? You do understand that it is possible to say that the Gophers won in spite of the quarterback playing poorly, right? If you don't want the negativity, go to threads that discuss something other than the quarterback's poor performance.

3. Perhaps you should realize something many of us realized last year. We don't have a competent starting quarterback this season, and we didn't have one last season. Nothing has changed. The same things are being said this season as last season because the same problems are emerging. You have to be blind not to realize it.

4. Leidner can get better. He has only started a few games. Most of us realize he can get better.

A few things.

1. Grow up. Most of us enjoyed the win.

2. You're complaining about people examining the play of our quarterback in a thread that asks people to discuss how well he played. What's your problem? You do understand that it is possible to say that the Gophers won in spite of the quarterback playing poorly, right? If you don't want the negativity, go to threads that discuss something other than the quarterback's poor performance.

3. Perhaps you should realize something many of us realized last year. We don't have a competent starting quarterback this season, and we didn't have one last season. Nothing has changed. The same things are being said this season as last season because the same problems are emerging. You have to be blind not to realize it.

4. Leidner can get better. He has only started a few games. Most of us realize he can get better.

1. This thread is light-hearted. Chill out. Don't you see the irony? Same thing last year yet we almost won 9 games. We are improved in a lot of categories, QB situation is looking to be about the same, yet the sky is somehow falling?

2. I am pointing out the general negativity after a win. It carries over to more than just the "grade Leidner" thread. And I do understand that it's possible to say that we won despite QB play. I gave him a grade of C for what it's worth.

3. I never said Leidner was competent or above-average. Perhaps you should realize that other people can realize we don't have the most favorable QB situation without having to throw up about it in every thread.

4. Totally agree.

Game result was as expected.

Game could've easily been pretty close well into the 3rd quarter.

Hope Streveler gets some more reps next week.

Geez, Studwell. Calm down. That's way over the top.

Sigh- very disappointed Stud. I'm a little concerned with there being no outrage on your part. You feeling okay?

Funny how things change yet stay the same. Another thing to recall from this time last year is how Mich St. was viewed. I think they scored 2 offensive TDs in the first two games COMBINED last year (if I recall right) and everyone said they have a great D but can't win with Cook & that offense. Soon after, things "clicked" for Cook and the rest is history. I'm not comparing Cook to ML7 or MSU to us - just pointing out a similar situation and what can happen.

Go Gophers!

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

Another reason I love GH, people can chill out and be reasonable.

I for one enjoyed the game. Never felt close and was able to see how many options there really are on offense. Some of those options will disappear come B1G season, too many athletes on the other side of the ball.

If Streveler gets reps in the next three weeks, it might be because we are scoring a lot, which is always good.

1. This thread is light-hearted. Chill out. Don't you see the irony? Same thing last year yet we almost won 9 games. We are improved in a lot of categories, QB situation is looking to be about the same, yet the sky is somehow falling?

2. I am pointing out the general negativity after a win. It carries over to more than just the "grade Leidner" thread. And I do understand that it's possible to say that we won despite QB play. I gave him a grade of C for what it's worth.

3. I never said Leidner was competent or above-average. Perhaps you should realize that other people can realize we don't have the most favorable QB situation without having to throw up about it in every thread.

4. Totally agree.

Haven't see much of the sky is falling group, but I think it is fair to be a little concerned about what we saw on the field last night. We got the win which is all that really matters but I would love to see us get to the point in these non-conf games where we can walk away feeling like we kicked the crap out an inferior opponent and it has been a while since we could truly feel that way.

As I write this MSU has already gone up 21-0 on Jacksonville state and they are like half way through the first quarter. Obviously we are not where MSU is at right now but it would be nice to see us really take it to a weaker school instead of struggling through the first half and slowly building a lead.

The thing is the people who posted in those threads after last years opener turned out to be right. The passing game was inept for the vast majority of last season. It will be interesting to see what happens with this squad this season and if fans still perceive this program to be on an upward trajectory when the New Year hits. This team was trailing deep in the third quarter to Western Illinois last year and lost to Syracuse on a neutral field, it also had a very exciting 4 game winning streak in the middle of the B1G season...and scored a COMBINED 30 (!) points in its 4 B1G losses.

I don't think any questions were answered definitively (negatively or positively) last night with the exception of some answers on special teams. Santoso has a cannon for a leg and the Gophers should be forcing touchbacks with regularity and both the kick and punt block teams got very nice pressure all night.

#9 is correct, 100%. The passing game remains a mystery. Does it exist? Can it ever be part of a Limey offensive?

Top Bottom