All Things Pitino rumor mill thread

Mbakwe, Royce, Devoe, Iverson, Tubby to Virginia, Tubby to Maryland, Tubby to LSU, Tubby to Tulsa, etc., etc.....what exactly was stable for six years?

Tubby came a lot closer to leaving after year 2 (to UVa) than Pitino has so far. He was hardly a model of stability.

Once again, another clueless poster, Izzo and former coach have not had similar success for a while but they both run a clean program. That's why Izzo won't be called for Florida job. Billy D cheated for a long time until he was out-cheated by Calamari. That's why he is running out of town. Anybody who takes over has to be willing to cheat. That's Florida's culture. They do get away with it. I have said this before. Go back 10-15 years ago. You'll see some concerns from SEC coaches about Billy D's cheating.

ZZZ. Their success the last 15 years is not close, and Michigan State is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better than Texas Tech. UF doesn't come after Izzo because he wouldn't take the job. Tubby would crawl through glass to get out of Lubbock.

I don't pretend to know if Billy D is a cheater, but you have no evidence that he is. Roy Williams accused him of cheating in getting Mike Miller away from him, and nothing was found (and Ole Roy was himself committing violations, shocking!)

ZZZ. Their success the last 15 years is not close, and Michigan State is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better than Texas Tech. UF doesn't come after Izzo because he wouldn't take the job. Tubby would crawl through glass to get out of Lubbock.

I don't pretend to know if Billy D is a cheater, but you have no evidence that he is. Roy Williams accused him of cheating in getting Mike Miller away from him, and nothing was found (and Ole Roy was himself committing violations, shocking!)

Speaking of Roy Williams and cheating, has anybody heard if the NCAA is going to respond to the 'serious mistakes' that occurred within the Afro and African American Studies department down there at 'old UNC? :confused:

Check out Eddie Fogler. He was former Vandy and USC coach. He can tell you a thing or two about Billy's cheating. Eddie was a fantastic coach who left the profession because of all the crap that is going on.

Tubby got a interview at UVA but never the offer. This one i can speak to because i was part of the search committee and against his hiring. Not because he could not coach but because of where he was in his career arc. This is why Pitino was a good hire for the U. Can he validate that now by producing.

Surely two NCAA Tournament trips with zero wins in 8 years at USC had nothing to do with it.

Were you even born when he coached? You kids these days only know how to Google things. Ask somebody who know a thing or two about basketball. They'll tell you how good he was.

Were you even born when he coached? You kids these days only know how to Google things. Ask somebody who know a thing or two about basketball. They'll tell you how good he was.

Since you weren't allowing me to use Google, I used my Magic 8-ball. It said "Ask again later". So I had to resort to Google. He had some success for sure - not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK. And if Donovan is a cheat, he is very good at covering his tracks.

Very good post. I think this would be the only year that he can leave while maintaining his reputation. His recruiting has cooled off in which it goes back to what you said about previous coaches. He can only play that card this year. That's why I think he would do anything to get out of here this year if he has any offers.

TRT, I'm not sure I understand why you insist that Pitino is so desperate to get out of Minnesota. That's not what he says and I think there is good reason for him to say that. While some are disappointed in this past season, he's certainly not about to be run off. There is every reason to believe that he will be given a good chance to succeed here. As others have said, new facilities are on the horizon, we are the only D1 program in the state, the talent base here has improved significantly in recent years, there is a good fan base, and the Twin Cities are one of the country's nicer places to live. I'm not sure there is anywhere he would have a better shot at building a long term successful program that would be his own.

TRT, I'm not sure I understand why you insist that Pitino is so desperate to get out of Minnesota. That's not what he says and I think there is good reason for him to say that. While some are disappointed in this past season, he's certainly not about to be run off. There is every reason to believe that he will be given a good chance to succeed here. As others have said, new facilities are on the horizon, we are the only D1 program in the state, the talent base here has improved significantly in recent years, there is a good fan base, and the Twin Cities are one of the country's nicer places to live. I'm not sure there is anywhere he would have a better shot at building a long term successful program that would be his own.

Ok, this is my last post until Midnight Madness that I am going to be in the cities for sure.

Time will tell. After all the rumors that was going around, please find one interview that he came out and said that he would not leave MN for any jobs in the country.

Ok, this is my last post until Midnight Madness that I am going to be in the cities for sure.

Time will tell. After all the rumors that was going around, please find one interview that he came out and said that he would not leave MN for any jobs in the country.

There are probably few people who wouldn't leave a job no matter how much they loved it if offered significantly more money, especially with the right combination of long term opportunities and security, and there might be other factors that might be persuasive as well, such a moving closer to family, but that doesn't mean they are desperate to leave. I can understand Pitino keeping his options open, but I haven't seen much to convince me that he is desperate to leave.

Tubby got a interview at UVA but never the offer. This one i can speak to because i was part of the search committee and against his hiring. Not because he could not coach but because of where he was in his career arc. This is why Pitino was a good hire for the U. Can he validate that now by producing.

I've heard the deal was basically done, but word got out about Tubby asking for them to lessen the academic requirements and it got squashed. No one would admit it now, but Tubby would have gotten people far more excited than Bennett at the time. Either way, it came very close to happening. Far more smoke than any of the Pitino stuff so far.

From Amelia's blog

Some of his comments regarding the Gophers basketball coach’s job opportunities were quite interesting.

“I met with the Alabama athletic director in talking about different guys for that job and Richard’s name came up,” the elder Pitino told Rome. “Richard was seriously considering making that move. But he called me up and said ‘You know, Dad, Alabama is a great job but I don’t deserve it.’ You know what, for a 32-year-old, that’s about as proud as I can be as a dad. He was just so humble – he said ‘I haven’t done enough to warrant any move, or even consider any move. He said we’ve got a tough rebuilding job here at Minnesota and I’m going to get it done.’”

From Amelia's blog

Some of his comments regarding the Gophers basketball coach’s job opportunities were quite interesting.

“I met with the Alabama athletic director in talking about different guys for that job and Richard’s name came up,” the elder Pitino told Rome. “Richard was seriously considering making that move. But he called me up and said ‘You know, Dad, Alabama is a great job but I don’t deserve it.’ You know what, for a 32-year-old, that’s about as proud as I can be as a dad. He was just so humble – he said ‘I haven’t done enough to warrant any move, or even consider any move. He said we’ve got a tough rebuilding job here at Minnesota and I’m going to get it done.’”

This never said he was interviewed by Alabama or even offered the job. Just that his name came up and probably a phone call was made and sounds like the younger turned away any consideration after thinking about throwing his name in the hat. Anyway like Alabama would have taken Pitino over Avery Johnson....(not that i don't like Pitino but lets be realistic here.)

From Amelia's blog

It's kind of a weird quote about "not deserving" the job, but I like the last part of it. FWIW, here's a link to the blog:

http://blog.startribune.com/rick-pitino-says-his-son-seriously-considered-alabama-job/302921781/

Go Gophers!!

“he said ‘I haven’t done enough to warrant any move, or even consider any move. He said we’ve got a tough rebuilding job here at Minnesota and I’m going to get it done.’”

I haven't done enough to leave yet - is that how this comes across?

I'll take it. Either he leads us back to prominence (then leaves or decides to commit long term to us) or he fails and this whole thing is pointless.

I haven't done enough to leave yet - is that how this comes across?

That's how it feels to me, but it's too tempting to try and read too much into a secondhand offhand interview answer. In the end it'll depend on how happy he is here, both with his job and the community. Prior to the big downfall, Clem probably could have pursued other opportunities, but he and his family had made their homes here. He proved you can build a national title contender here, and if Richard happens to disagree and bolts for greener pastures, the next guy up can be the one to get us back there. As a fan and an alumnus, that's how you have to look at things.

That's how it feels to me, but it's too tempting to try and read too much into a secondhand offhand interview answer. In the end it'll depend on how happy he is here, both with his job and the community. Prior to the big downfall, Clem probably could have pursued other opportunities, but he and his family had made their homes here. He proved you can build a national title contender here, and if Richard happens to disagree and bolts for greener pastures, the next guy up can be the one to get us back there. As a fan and an alumnus, that's how you have to look at things.

Same thoughts here.

Why would you say that Rick? What is gained? He doesn't 'deserve' a crappy job at an SEC football school, so he'll stay with this 'inferior' job?

It's kind of a weird quote about "not deserving" the job, but I like the last part of it. FWIW, here's a link to the blog:

http://blog.startribune.com/rick-pitino-says-his-son-seriously-considered-alabama-job/302921781/

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, you and other intelligent people around here, would you please clear this for me that MN is/was a rebuilding job or not? I thought that this program had a very good post-season success 2 years ago along with the NIT title last year. How can this be a re-building job?

Bleed, you and other intelligent people around here, would you please clear this for me that MN is/was a rebuilding job or not? I thought that this program had a very good post-season success 2 years ago along with the NIT title last year. How can this be a re-building job?

After you go 6-12 in Big Ten play, it better be a rebuilding job. The Pitino's don't appear to be blaming this on anyone, so I would have thought you would welcome these comments with open arms.

Go Gophers!!

Damn, I'll take my Minnesota blinders off for a moment. Is Alabama really that much better of a job?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After you go 6-12 in Big Ten play, it better be a rebuilding job. The Pitino's don't appear to be blaming this on anyone, so I would have thought you would welcome these comments with open arms.

Go Gophers!!
Bleed, as always, you are right. That's exactly what I was looking for. I hope that people would let it go of the past and help Richard in this re-building process. I am on board from now on. Lets stop blaming players from the past also.

Go Gophers

Not very encouraging IMO. Would much rather prefer his reasoning for staying be because he feels this is simply a better job than Alabama (or at least similar) and not because "he doesn't deserve it yet."

Who won the dunk contest?

Top Bottom