All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

I'll take the bait.

First of all..."good player" is still to be determined. Second of all, if you are going to quote me, please use my entire sentence to keep it in context. It's important. For example, if I take your quote as it is written, then I am to assume you believe that when the top player in the country commits to LSU that hurts Minnesota?

Now, back to Cornell and losing him to OSU...maybe I should expand and clarify my stance. We are talking about prospects here. Lets say Cornell committed to Alabama. OSU simply says, "next up?" and is still likely to land a highly recruited defensive end that may or may not turn out to be better than Cornell. That is my point. Because they land top recruits annually,whether it's Cornell or another top prospect has no immediate relevance to the success or failure of Minnesota. He may turn into a stud and sack Mitch Leidner 7 times in 1 game, or he might not. Same goes for all of their other top recruits. To say his commitment hurts Minnesota, is a little premature, and misguided. Either way, hindsight will be 20/20 and I'm sure you will remind me years from now if he blows up the Gopher O-Line and we lose by 40. However, keep in mind it's just as likely that he'll be a non factor in a game where their other 5 star recruits throws for 6 td's.

Recruiting battles between OSU and Alabama have little relevance to Minnesota. Recruiting battles between OSU and Minnesota have a lot of relevance to Minnesota. We're not talking about some random guy from Florida or Texas or wherever, we're talking about a guy who was born and raised and went to school and lived his entire life to this point a few minutes from Minnesota's campus. Of course it hurts Minnesota even more if he ends up being a good college player, but even if he doesn't, it hurts Minnesota because it continues the perception that we're not a school worthy to be attended by elite football prospects. I didn't realize that this was a controversial opinion to hold. Then again, I've never seen anyone try to make the argument (with a straight face, apparently) that elite in-state football players going to other schools is somehow not harmful to the U.

Of course it hurts Minnesota even more if he ends up being a good college player, but even if he doesn't, it hurts Minnesota because it continues the perception that we're not a school worthy to be attended by elite football prospects.

Perception or reality? I'm as big a Gopher fan as there is, but I am also rational. You think the reason we can't consistently compete with OSU for recruits is a problem with perception? Or is it because he haven't exactly been winning a lot of ball games the last decade and they have superior fan support, facilities, and "amenities" that may or may not be NCAA legit?

Also, don't take for granted that this was a battle. It sounds like our staff bowed out a long time ago when it was apparent he wasn't interested.

At least he won't get booed in his home state. OSU won't be back here while he's on the roster.

You think the reason we can't consistently compete with OSU for recruits is a problem with perception? Or is it because he haven't exactly been winning a lot of ball games the last decade and they have superior fan support, facilities, and "amenities" that may or may not be NCAA legit?

Both.

Also, don't take for granted that this was a battle. It sounds like our staff bowed out a long time ago when it was apparent he wasn't interested.

If it's a player that we want and offered, it's a battle. Whether we were ever actually in it or not is irrelevant.

I think you missed my point. But that's cool. Can we just agree to find common ground around the fact that Kate Upton is hot and this site in general needs more of her sprinkled in from time to time? God bless America. Happy 4th of July.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/CPrE3zQyRANwc" width="500" height="281" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 062113-23-kate-upton-OB-PI_20130622024112603_660_320.JPG
    062113-23-kate-upton-OB-PI_20130622024112603_660_320.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 14

I think you missed my point. But that's cool. Can we just agree to find common ground around the fact that Kate Upton is hot and this site in general needs more of her sprinkled in from time to time? God bless America. Happy 4th of July.

No, I got your point perfectly. Where your analogy fails is that Cornell playing at the U, while extremely unlikely, is at least plausible. He knows where the U is. He knows who Jerry Kill is. They've talked. Cornell has at the very least entertained the idea of playing at the U, even if for only one second. Kate Upton getting with you is like Cornell going to Augsburg. Neither will ever happen.

As for the second part of your post:
Motorboat.gif

Semantics....I could have replaced Kate Upton with the hottest girl I knew in college, whom I did talk to, and who did know where I lived. Hell, after a night of long islands at Blarney's, she might have even entertained the though of sleeping with me. Still, to say I was in a battle for her as a girlfriend would be a misuse of the word,....but whatever.

If you think we were seriously in a "battle" for Cornell, then so be it.

Regardless, I stand by my claim that it is silly to say that Cornell choosing OSU, hurts Minnesota. The statistician in me refuses to acknowledge any significant correlation between 1 in-state recruits final college choice today and Gopher wins over the next 4 years.

I get where you are coming from with the butterfly effect theory, but I don't buy it. Agree to disagree.

Semantics....

If you think we were seriously in a "battle" for Cornell, then so be it.

Regardless, I stand by my claim that it is silly to say that Cornell choosing OSU, hurts Minnesota. The statistician in me refuses to acknowledge any significant correlation between 1 in-state recruits final college choice today and Gopher wins over the next 4 years.

I get where you are coming from with the butterfly effect theory, but I don't buy it. Agree to disagree.

Is Minnesota going to sign a defensive end as good as Cornell in 2015?

Is Minnesota going to sign a defensive end as good as Cornell in 2015?

No.

As long as you are defining "good" based on scouting outlets stars/rankings. Obviously, neither of us know how Cornell, or any of our 2015 DE recruits will actually turn out.

Do you know her? Have you spoken with her? Does she know you? Have you ever talked with each other?

Why do you want to talk to Snowflake? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? DO YOU HAVE A DORSAL FIN!?

Unpopular opinion: As far as I'm concerned, I don't want the Gophers to even try and recruit 5* players. Let the helmet schools fight over them. If I was Kill, I would spend all my recruiting time and resources going after kids who are more likely to choose the Gophers. If that means a roster full of 3* players, and the occasional 4*, I'm fine with that - because they want to be Gophers, and the coaching staff did not have to beg and grovel (figuratively) to land them. Fight the battles you can win.

Having said that, at some point, there may very well be a 5* kid from MN who genuinely wants to be a Gopher. If that's the case, then come on down. the kind of player I want for the Gophers would not want to, or need to, hold one of these public "announcement" ceremonies. It's like jumping up and down and shouting, "look at me." Let those kids go somewhere else.

:05, :13.. etc. picked up.. thrown..
dboy also said JJ's running style is like Hershel Walker... choppy steps.. indecisive. no power at point of contact.. ( things that dboy said could be corrected.. )
so several GHers told dboy 'so you are saying Hershel Walker was a bad runner'.
so dboy gave up..

Umm.....Jones hit those defenders hard enough that they had no choice but to take him down by falling backwards? In both cases he picked up yards after contact? LOL......picked up and thrown......

Thats because whenever kids hold a big announcement at his school it is for the kids at the school and the ones close to him to attend. Why does everybody think it is always for random fans that he doesn't even know to attend? When are you guys going to get this threw you're head?

if you read my post, i acknowledged his friends. one would assume if they are his friends, they would know about his announcement by now.

"26 TFLs, 14 sacks as a sophomore". Stop buying into the CDH hype machine!!

no way is he 270 if he is 6'3"..
he is all legs.. and skinny legs..
he will switch to LB in college and play at 230.. on special teams..
no big loss.

now i see he is 6'2".. and 261..
anytime the weight is so specific.. you know its a lie... so lets put him at 250.
high center of gravity.. filled out frame.. he will be 6'2" 250 in four years..
DE? are you kidding? Billy Turner would toss him around like a rag doll.
go to a CDH game.. he doesn't stand out.. if you have to ask 'which number is he?'.. the a recruit is not d1 material.
(if you saw Seantrel or Floyd you knew they were high d1 even during warm ups.. )
also ask yourself how does a guy go from #1 in the nation to #95? yup.. that PR machine over at CDH got him 50 offers before he was even a soph in HS based on some camp where he 'blew up'..

no big loss. he will never be a defensive regular at tOSU.

per Joe:

Jashon Cornell sidelined by Ohio State's abundance of talent

Jashon Cornell was ranked by ESPN.com as the nation’s No. 1 football recruit in the 2015 class when he was a junior at Cretin-Derham Hall.

He later dropped to 33rd on that list but was still a highly coveted defensive lineman when he committed to Ohio State the summer before his senior season. The 6-3, 265-pound Cornell graduated early, so he could enroll at Ohio State in January.

Cornell will redshirt, as will most members of this recruiting class. Entering Saturday, just four true freshmen had played this season for the Buckeyes, who are loaded with NFL talent.

For comparison, the Gophers have played nine true freshmen this year.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...y-ohio-state-s-abundance-of-talent/342782202/

Go Gophers!!

Ideally, most freshmen spend a redshirt year.

How is that a story? Saying he's "sidelined" by better talent is a negative connotation, when the overwhelming majority of linemen take a redshirt year.

I glanced at his season stats last night but don't recall the specifics. They were pretty underwhelming base on what I remember.

Will he be drafted???

Maybe after his senior season. He was only a junior in 2018, and though he was a solid contributor he didn't particularly stand out, though it can be difficult to stand out on a team as talent-heavy as Ohio State.

Jashon Cornell is a case where he could have stood out more in the Gophers program with more playing time. The same goes for JC Hassenauer at Alabama. Hassenauer did end up with Atlanta practice squad as a UDFA center.

Jashon Cornell is a case where he could have stood out more in the Gophers program with more playing time. The same goes for JC Hassenauer at Alabama. Hassenauer did end up with Atlanta practice squad as a UDFA center.

Or they are both cases of guys that got to play in rose bowls and championships rather than quicklane and holiday bowls.

Or they are both cases of guys that got to play in rose bowls and championships rather than quicklane and holiday bowls.

Yep, a road most traveled. It was the safe thing to do. I'm sure you have done the same.

Top Bottom