***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS EASTERN ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I sure hope it's jitters too. He's had a whole off season as the clear-cut #1 QB. This isn't how you want to start off your season, especially against an FCS team.

To be fair, this isn't just any FCS team. That said, I too expect more. I'm hoping he pulls it together at halftime.

That's the kind of throws they need to get Leidner on track

Why go away from Cobb? I'd let him carry it 30 times a game! All the other backs have no burst.

Bad pass by Leidner, great play by Jones! TD!!

I'm not so sure Leidner tried to place it low and slightly behind Jones but it sure worked out! Good drive offense.

Bad pass by Leidner, great play by Jones! TD!!

Most likely given Mitch's passing so far - but if he was 12 for 14 to this point we'd be saying he put the ball in a place where only his guy could catch it!

First half thoughts:

1. Leidner stinks
2. Defense looks soft and slow
3. Home side fans are MIA
4. Student section is bringing it
5. Punter's a stud
6. Thrilled to have football back

Rah.

Leidner 4-4 on that drive

A good QB would've been 5-4

Ugly first half performance. Good news is that in the past if we would have played this poorly we would have been down.

Thoughts.

Leidner seems to have settled down at this point. Throws aren't as accurate but at least he's making good decisions right now on the correct guy to throw to.
Keep Cobb in. Has the burst and vision the others lack.
Get away from the power I. We are faster than this team. Use the spread to abuse that advantage.
Get Jones and Edwards the ball more. Again, speed kills.
Defensively, keep the coverage up. May need to throw an extra hat in the box for Whitlow. He's killing us with his legs.
Our ST looks very good IMO. Stand pat there

First half thoughts:

1. Leidner stinks
2. Defense looks soft and slow
3. Home side fans are MIA
4. Student section is bringing it
5. Punter's a stud
6. Thrilled to have football back

Rah.

1. If we said at the beginning of the game ML was 7/12 for 100 yds and a TD we'd probably be okay with that because we would think the team would have more than 57 rushing yards.
2. They only gave up 80 yards after the initial drive- how's that soft and slow.

Otherwise I completely agree!

Ski-U-Mah

The defense hasn't looked great by any means but it's hard to complain about no points allowed.

The season opener has always been one of the greatest days of the year on this board....ah the meltdowns we've had with these first halves

2013 - 3 point lead over UNLV
2012 - 7-3 lead over UNLV
2011 - trail USC 19-3
2010 - tied at Middle Tenn state
2009 - down 20-14 at Syracuse (the birth of FireCosgroveGuy?)
2008 - tied 10-10 vs. N Illinois
2007 - trail Bowling Green 21-0

vikes up 7-0. theilen pass from bridgewater. banyard looking good. 10 for 58

My concern is the rushing. Less than 100 yards against THIS team? All the talk about the O line, don't see it yet. But it's first game and our coaches make great adjustments at half. We'll kill the second half! Pleeeze

Leidner 4-4 on that drive

A good QB would've been 5-4

He was 4-4 which is great but on the TD he was bailed out on a bad throw by a nice catch and a DB who went for the pick instead covering the receiver.

The good news is this is the kind of opponent you can afford to struggle against. EIU had a high powered offense last year but they also had a different coach and an NFL caliber QB at the helm. Our defense looks strong enough to keep these guys from putting up many points which hopefully gives the offense a chance to continue figuring out what works because clearly they are going to need to be better against future opponents.

meltdown or pointing out the flaws? I'm betting the coaches are much more critical than the fans about now.

The season opener has always been one of the greatest days of the year on this board....ah the meltdowns we've had with these first halves

2013 - 3 point lead over UNLV
2012 - 7-3 lead over UNLV
2011 - trail USC 19-3
2010 - tied at Middle Tenn state
2009 - down 20-14 at Syracuse (the birth of FireCosgroveGuy?)
2008 - tied 10-10 vs. N Illinois
2007 - trail Bowling Green 21-0

Nice retrospective

Top Bottom