NIT Game #4: #1 Gophers vs. #1 Florida State at MSG [ESPN2, Tues @ 8:00PM]

Pitino made a radio out of a frickin' coconut in this game. It wasn't pretty, but you have to admire the toughness the team showed. Real gut check.

"Florida State should have won the game in regulation" ???

That is the first game I can remember of either football or basketball where I was sure we were going to lose about 25 times and we didn't.

Great defensive game and a gritty win despite some shotty officiating and even more sloppy play. Bad teams find ways to lose these games. We found a way to almost lose it. But I'm happy and impressed we pulled it out.

Fsu coach is absolutely terrible.

Why not Mav in the second half?

Is oto even hurt?

How can you get toasted by not fouling at the end of regulation and giving up a 3, then do the exact same thing in OT? That's just dumb luck.

Sloppy game, but a win is a win. Larry Brown vs. young Mr. Pitino is a nice way to end this season.

Not sure what was more difficult, watching the game or listening to the announcers?

For the record I would not foul with the cast we were playing with against the team we were playing with.

Wow - Pitino and Austin's post game interviews were the first intelligent words from the TV in 2+ hours

Pitino made a radio out of a frickin' coconut in this game. It wasn't pretty, but you have to admire the toughness the team showed. Real gut check.

Absolutely. Proud of the way they kept fighting, even when in foul trouble and so outmatched down low.

Gotta give props to Oto for his gutty performance. Wasn't anything to brag about in the box score but he played some valuable minutes and drew two (should have been three) offensive fouls.

It wasn't pretty but we live to fight another day.

I seriously can't remember watching any Minnesota sports team that lost all momentum toward the end of the game and ended up winning. I have no idea how we pulled that out, but I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

So...did we win that game? I'm waiting for someone to shout "April fools!"

I seriously can't remember watching any Minnesota sports team that lost all momentum toward the end of the game and ended up winning. I have no idea how we pulled that out, but I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Football team versus Indiana gives me warm fuzzies.

It's hard even to be pumped about this win because I am so pissed at that lack of a foul to prevent a 3 point attempt at the end of OT. It was absolutely atrocious for the Gophers not to foul at the end of regulation, but there is no defense for no foul at the end of OT given the stoppage of time and Pitino's chance to talk to his guys. That's on Coach Pitino, who did an AMAZING job tonight with that glaring mistake.

The Gophers were essentially playing with four guys on the floor at times with Oto in the second half as his injury/conditioning really started to show up when he was forced to play center for extended minutes. Then you had the officials who found a way to put FSU on the line like five times on loose ball fouls. Then you had Malik who was an absolute disaster down the stretch and in overtime.

Big congrats to Mo Walker for stepping up late in overtime and knocking down some important free throws. Kudos to Oto for hustling for that offensive board and generally giving all he had after (I assume) he's been mentally checked out for 2-3 weeks. Austin Hollins made some important shots in the last ten minutes of the second half when points were at a major premium for us.

Credit to Oto. Really hasn't played since Feb. 22 and comes in and gives them some good minutes. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It was really really bad. I can't believe ESPN pays Bob Knight.
I liked when he said he would just throw the ball as high in the air as he could and run 7 or 8 seconds off the clock. I don't think the best punters get 8 seconds of hang time.

serious question: was that the weirdest game ever or is it just me?

Weird and surreal. In retrospect, I'm not sure I would change one detail. Even the thing that seemed the most cruel and unusual at the time - the incoherent droning of Bob Knight and Co. - makes it the surrealist masterpiece it was. As with any trial in life, it never makes any sense at the time but becomes clear afterward.

I liked when he said he would just throw the ball as high in the air as he could and run 7 or 8 seconds off the clock. I don't think the best punters get 8 seconds of hang time.

In the Clemson-SMU game, SMU was up 2 or 3 with 12 seconds left, and he said SMU should just throw the ball to the other side of the court and it would kill the rest of the clock

It's hard even to be pumped about this win because I am so pissed at that lack of a foul to prevent a 3 point attempt at the end of OT. It was absolutely atrocious for the Gophers not to foul at the end of regulation, but there is no defense for no foul at the end of OT given the stoppage of time and Pitino's chance to talk to his guys. That's on Coach Pitino, who did an AMAZING job tonight with that glaring mistake.

Not sure why you or the announcers think it is an obvious decision to foul there. First of all, statistically it has been proven it is better not to foul. Secondly, we are not the best rebounding team in the world.

It's a 50/50 call at best.

Weird and surreal. In retrospect, I'm not sure I would change one detail. Even the thing that seemed the most cruel and unusual at the time - the incoherent droning of Bob Knight and Co. - makes it the surrealist masterpiece it was. As with any trial in life, it never makes any sense at the time but becomes clear afterward.
The arguing about if the ref had established himself inbounds before the ball bounced off him should be included in highlights

So...did we win that game? I'm waiting for someone to shout "April fools!"
That was the plan, but we stretched the game into April 2 in New York. As you are no doubt aware, April Fools pranks are only valid on April 1!;)

Go Gophers!

Not sure why you or the announcers think it is an obvious decision to foul there. First of all, statistically it has been proven it is better not to foul. Secondly, we are not the best rebounding team in the world.

It's a 50/50 call at best.

Not to be an after-the-fact apologist, but that's exactly what I was thinking at the time. I really didn't want my undersized team's fate to rest on getting a rebound off an intentionally missed free throw.

That and them going on and on about the play where the ref kept the ball in bounds. Those guys really checked out midway through the first half. I really hope they aren't doing the championship game.

Top Bottom