Hello Gopher fans, Southern Miss fan here...

WinorLose --

All I can say is that hopefully its all in fun. Minnesotans have been made fun of, have been picked on and ridiculed for decades. We are referred to as the Frozen Tundra, movies like Fargo make it out as if we all talk like that. lol I've lived in Minnesota for around 35 of my 46 years on this earth and I've traveled all over the state and have never met a single person EVER, that sounded like the people on that movie.

You weren't looking very hard then. Trust me, there are plenty. But I still find that movie funny and offensive at the same time.

Well, I don't agree with that. I've lived here 13 years and I've met plenty of them. There's nothing really wrong with that accent, though.

How do you not agree with MY experience? It is MY experience, you can't agree or disagree with it, you can only have a different one of your own. Or are you calling me a liar? lol Dude, you may have had a different experience than me, maybe you mistakenly consider anyone with a Minnesota accent to sound like they did in that movie? But all I did was tell what MY experience has been. If I listed the # of towns I've been to in Minnesota, I'm know for a fact it would be well into the 3 digits, and I personally have not met a single person in my life who sounds like they did on that movie. If you and others have met people who sound like that, then I'd be interested to know what part of the state you were in, what town or county or whatever. I've been to 100+ towns in Minnesota, but there are still a few parts of the state I haven't been to.

You weren't looking very hard then. Trust me, there are plenty. But I still find that movie funny and offensive at the same time.

I'll say the same thing to you howeda7. I've been to a large percentage of the towns in Minnesota, so I'd be curious to know where all of these "plenty" of people are who sound JUST LIKE THEY DID in the movie.

I'll say the same thing to you howeda7. I've been to a large percentage of the towns in Minnesota, so I'd be curious to know where all of these "plenty" of people are who sound JUST LIKE THEY DID in the movie.

The movie "Fargo" is overkill on the accent. However, if you watch the movie "North Country" with Charlize Theron acting as a female miner on the Iron Range, that movie nails the "Iron Range" accent.

I've always viewed the movie Fargo as an attempt by the Coen brothers with their St Paul Irish Catholic background to poke a stick in the eye of Minnesota's more dominant Scandinavian/Germany culture. I've never been a fan of their films which, in my opinion, typically rely upon dark humor and tend to belittle people.

The movie "Fargo" is overkill on the accent. However, if you watch the movie "North Country" with Charlize Theron acting as a female miner on the Iron Range, that movie nails the "Iron Range" accent.
I'm sure there are tons of miners that look just like her. Very plausible casting.

Go to a small town that is dominated by people of Scandinavian descent and then start visiting people that live on farms, in the past there were people of all ages that sounded just like the dialogue used in Fargo, not sure if it still exists with the availability of the internet and cable but that accent was alive and well twenty years ago. You wouldn't here it from people that lived in town though.

Go to a small town that is dominated by people of Scandinavian descent and then start visiting people that live on farms, in the past there were people of all ages that sounded just like the dialogue used in Fargo, not sure if it still exists with the availability of the internet and cable but that accent was alive and well twenty years ago. You wouldn't here it from people that lived in town though.

LOL, so my not traveling the countryside in outstate Minnesota, barging onto farm after farm looking for retirement age farmers is according to the one poster here, "not looking very hard"???

Not arguing with you jovs, just finding it funny that this exaggerated accent as portrayed in the movie Fargo, according to some here, is so prevalent, yet I've never heard it, and according to you it only existed on farms near small towns dominated by people of Scandinavian descent and from 20 years ago? Well, I didn't move back to Minnesota until 98, and I didn't really start getting out and about around the state until the middle of the next decade, and I hung out in the towns, not out on the farms, so maybe my viewpoint is skewed, but the whole point of this discussion is basically the likelihood that someone from Mississippi or anywhere out of state that is visiting Minnesota would run into people who talk that way, and it seems to me the chances of it happening are not too good.

And I'd still be interested in more of an exact location, not just "a small town that is dominated by people of Scandinavian descent", because there are a lot of those, and I've been to dozens of them, and still have not witnessed anyone talking like that. If they are out there, I'd be interested to talk to one of those people at least once before I die.

I've always viewed the movie Fargo as an attempt by the Coen brothers with their St Paul Irish Catholic background to poke a stick in the eye of Minnesota's more dominant Scandinavian/Germany culture. I've never been a fan of their films which, in my opinion, typically rely upon dark humor and tend to belittle people.

That is exactly why they are great.

LOL, so my not traveling the countryside in outstate Minnesota, barging onto farm after farm looking for retirement age farmers is according to the one poster here, "not looking very hard"???

Not arguing with you jovs, just finding it funny that this exaggerated accent as portrayed in the movie Fargo, according to some here, is so prevalent, yet I've never heard it, and according to you it only existed on farms near small towns dominated by people of Scandinavian descent and from 20 years ago? Well, I didn't move back to Minnesota until 98, and I didn't really start getting out and about around the state until the middle of the next decade, and I hung out in the towns, not out on the farms, so maybe my viewpoint is skewed, but the whole point of this discussion is basically the likelihood that someone from Mississippi or anywhere out of state that is visiting Minnesota would run into people who talk that way, and it seems to me the chances of it happening are not too good.

And I'd still be interested in more of an exact location, not just "a small town that is dominated by people of Scandinavian descent", because there are a lot of those, and I've been to dozens of them, and still have not witnessed anyone talking like that. If they are out there, I'd be interested to talk to one of those people at least once before I die.

Yoo just drive up to Small Falls then; maybe Pierz there. Yule find plenty of 'em that's fer sure.

Yoo just drive up to Small Falls then; maybe Pierz there. Yule find plenty of 'em that's fer sure.

I've been to Little Falls on several occasions and all of the surrounding towns, cept Pierz, at least once each, although like I said, hung out in the town and not out on the farms of the older retirement aged folks.

Is there somewhere I can go where I don't have to drive on a gravel road out into the middle of nowhere and then onto someone's private property to find these people?!

Is there A TOWN, like portrayed in the movie, where I can go and run into these strange sounding people?! Somewhere a tourist or visitor from out of state might happen upon?

It would be like saying everyone in Louisiana speaks like the Asst Coach on the Waterboy's team did in that movie. I'm sure if you trudge through some swamp out in the middle of nowhere, you could find a person that talks like that, but that doesn't mean anyone that has ever visited Louisiana from out of state has ever or will ever run into someone who speaks like that, unless they go out of their way to find them, of course. As I'm sure some reality show producers probably have?

And again, I am not trying to argue with anyone here, I am truly curious. I plan on traveling all over Minnesota over the next few summers on my motorcycle and wouldn't mind the experience of talking with some of these strange sounding people.

SouthernMissFan was in & out of our lives so fast, a streaking comet of greatness we will never soon forget.

What was your favorite SouthernMissFan moment?

They aren't Irish, Catholic, or from St. Paul. But carry on?

LOL. You're making too big a deal of this. Are there many 40 year old women who talk like Marge Gunderson? No. But every small town has at least one old guy like the man shoveling snow who 'called it in' near the end of the movie, farmers or not.

SouthernMissFan was in & out of our lives so fast, a streaking comet of greatness we will never soon forget.

Definitely his references to lame bands. Like he thought he was really putting the screws to us Gopher fans by saying we like Nickelback or Green Day or whatever. He definitely knows how to hurt a guy! :confused:

SouthernMiss fan had nothing on the Mid Tennessee dancer. Hope she makes her triumphant return next football season

Oh, he's got me worried about leaving the house now, I'm afraid I might get stabbed or something. Maybe even by a polar bear?!

Top Bottom