TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

Wait, people actually liked Coleman as a basketball player? He was average at best. Fairly athletic and good at finishing around the basket, terrible decision making and bad ball handling and shot.

It always makes me laugh when people bring up the improved stats argument. What do you think will happen when someone gets 8 minutes more a game?

As for shooting percentage, he may be had a higher FG %, but his TS% was 53.2% compared to Andre 58.3% and Austin at 54.4%. So no, he is not better.

Addition by subtraction, imo.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I applauded the decision to fire Tubby and, after initial hesitation, I supported the Pitino hire. However, I don't take a long term view of the Pitino hire because I don't expect him to be around for very long. I know that many others disagree with that position, but Pitino is a very ambitious guy and once he has success the big boys will come around. If you buy that position, every day is important and what I've seen so far doesn't wow me. Basically he is bringing FIU guys in and the third best player on the current team and a recruit good enough for MSU are going out. In addition I want to know if the guys coming in are decent enough students not to negatively impact the APR. Trevor graduated, Halverson graduated and, assuming that Coleman was in good standing, those are three solids going out. (I don't know about Williams Jr., Welch and Ingram.) I've seen two of the three new guys interviewed and I worry (perhaps needlessly) about academics. I never worried about academics with Tubby.

Coleman should have been strongly encouraged to stay.

So you don't take a longterm approach because you think he's too good for us and will leave once he has success, but you're not wowed yet because basically all he's done is bring in FIU guys?

Sounds like you don't think we'll be good for another couple years, which means Pitino won't be good enough to leave us, so shouldn't you be taking the longterm approach then?

Does Coleman go out West where former Gophers have had success (Joseph, Cobbs, Iverson)? Does dirty Fred Hoiberg come sniffing around yet another transfer from the Big Ten?

If there was a lot of hand wringing over former Gophers like Cobbs or even local kids at small schools, I can't imagine what it will be like if Coleman puts up some 20 point games elsewhere in 2014-2015.

There's more to this story than what we know today. Did Pitino force him out? Was Joe unwilling to earn his playing time? Does Joe feel betrayed after Tubby's dismissal? And why is Rene Pulley spinning this like it's Pitino's fault and will hurt our in-state recruiting? I don't think Joe's decision is good for either party involved. No inside info but I expect Joe to land at Transfer U with Coach Hoiberg if I had a guess.

There's more to this story than what we know today. Did Pitino force him out? Was Joe unwilling to earn his playing time? Does Joe feel betrayed after Tubby's dismissal? And why is Rene Pulley spinning this like it's Pitino's fault and will hurt our in-state recruiting? I don't think Joe's decision is good for either party involved. No inside info but I expect Joe to land at Transfer U with Coach Hoiberg if I had a guess.

I'd be surprised if he ended up at Iowa State. I bet he goes to a mid-major school.

Coaches change, systems change and players transfer. Joe was not going to fit in Coach Pitino's system. Time to move on.

I'd be surprised if he ended up at Iowa State. I bet he goes to a mid-major school.

I bet he ends up at Northern Iowa with his good buddy Marvin Singleton.

Go Gophers!!

Pitino Year 1: 2013
Year 2: 2014
Year 3: 2015
Year 4: 2016
Year 5: 2017

You think it's a reach to say that we will have a pretty good idea as to what we have with Pitino by year 5? Daquean McNeil will have graduated by then.

Your 2017 being year five caught me off guard. I really don't consider 2017 to be 5 years from now, I consider this upcoming season to be more of 2014 year seeing as 3 months of the season are in 2014

Also, I don't think Daquean McNeil is at all a testament to what Pitino is, he was a last ditch effort to begin some semblance of his style to the program in year one...

It is obvious that a lot of us don't understand Pitino's system, because many, including me thought Joe would fit well. It appears that shooting ability is a key element in the Pitino system and that is not Joe's strength.

This team did have too many repeat players but it's regrettable that Coleman is gone instead of many worse players.

I applauded the decision to fire Tubby and, after initial hesitation, I supported the Pitino hire. However, I don't take a long term view of the Pitino hire because I don't expect him to be around for very long. I know that many others disagree with that position, but Pitino is a very ambitious guy and once he has success the big boys will come around. If you buy that position, every day is important and what I've seen so far doesn't wow me. Basically he is bringing FIU guys in and the third best player on the current team and a recruit good enough for MSU are going out. In addition I want to know if the guys coming in are decent enough students not to negatively impact the APR. Trevor graduated, Halverson graduated and, assuming that Coleman was in good standing, those are three solids going out. (I don't know about Williams Jr., Welch and Ingram.) I've seen two of the three new guys interviewed and I worry (perhaps needlessly) about academics. I never worried about academics with Tubby.

Coleman should have been strongly encouraged to stay.

Seems like you're contradicting yourself a bit. In one statement you expect Pitino to leave due to success at the school. Then you say you are not wowed which implies concern.

If you buy your first statement then wouldn't that mean you trust coaches judgement at this point?

In terms of recruiting I will judge Pitino on the 2014 class. MN kids or not, he needs a top 25 type class. We will have plenty of spots to fill and plenty of playing time to offer recruits. I don't judge much of late spring recruiting. It's apples to oranges compares to fall recruiting. Now. If we whiff on the big 3 and land no other top 100 players I will be disappointed for sure.

I'm ready to be patient. For a bit.

As for shooting percentage, he may be had a higher FG %, but his TS% was 53.2% compared to Andre 58.3% and Austin at 54.4%. So no, he is not better.

Addition by subtraction, imo.

I don't think anyone is saying he is a better shooter than Austin or Andre. My point was that his shot is not as bad as people on here are saying.

When you're making claims of "addition by subtraction", it's worthless to compare a player to two others who are starting at other positions anyways. You have to compare him to his replacement, in this case most likely Ellenson/Smith. I'll take the guy with a productive year starting in the big ten over an unproven sophomore and a low D1 transfer and day.

It is obvious that a lot of us don't understand Pitino's system, because many, including me thought Joe would fit well. It appears that shooting ability is a key element in the Pitino system and that is not Joe's strength.

Why do people keep saying this? It doesn't match what he has actually recruited in this class so far.

John Galt says: "By the time those guys are juniors at the U, it will be 2017. The verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago."

In this day and age of instant gratification needed, let us not forget that Coach K at Duke almost got the heave ho from Duke after his third year there. Once he turned it around, well, the rest is history. So I disagree that the "verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago."

We need a program builder, not a "we'll give you a chance, then we will fire you." attitude.

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Army Cadets (NCAA Division I Independent) (1975–1980)
1975–76 Army 11–14
1976–77 Army 20–8
1977–78 Army 19–9 NIT 1st Round
1978–79 Army 14–11
1979–80 Army 9–17
Army: 73–59 (.553)
Duke Blue Devils (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1980–present)
1980–81 Duke 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Quarterfinals
1981–82 Duke 10–17 4–10 T–6th
1982–83 Duke 11–17 3–11 7th
1983–84 Duke 24–10 7–7 T–3rd NCAA Round of 32
1984–85 Duke 23–8 8–6 T–4th NCAA Round of 32
1985–86 Duke 37–3 12–2 1st NCAA Runner-up
1986–87 Duke 24–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1987–88 Duke 28–7 9–5 3rd NCAA Final Four
1988–89 Duke 28–8 9–5 T–2nd NCAA Final Four
1989–90 Duke 29–9 9–5 2nd NCAA Runner-up
1990–91 Duke 32–7 11–3 1st NCAA Champions
1991–92 Duke 34–2 14–2 1st NCAA Champions
1992–93 Duke 24–8 10–6 T–3rd NCAA Round of 32
1993–94 Duke 28–6 12–4 1st NCAA Runner-up
1994–95 Duke 9–3[n 1] 1–1[n 1] [n 1]
1995–96 Duke 18–13 8–8 T–4th NCAA Round of 64
1996–97 Duke 24–9 12–4 1st NCAA Round of 32
1997–98 Duke 32–4 15–1 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1998–99 Duke 37–2 16–0 1st NCAA Runner-up
1999–00 Duke 29–5 15–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01 Duke 35–4 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2001–02 Duke 31–4 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 Duke 26–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2003–04 Duke 31–6 13–3 1st NCAA Final Four
2004–05 Duke 27–6 11–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–06 Duke 32–4 14–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2006–07 Duke 22–11 8–8 6th NCAA Round of 64
2007–08 Duke 28–6 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 32
2008–09 Duke 30–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009–10 Duke 35–5 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2010–11 Duke 32–5 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Duke 27–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 64
2012–13 Duke 30–6 14–4 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
Duke: 884–238 (.788) 350–153 (.696)
Total: 957–297 (.763)

National champion Conference regular season champion Conference tournament champion
Conference regular season and conference tournament champion Conference division champion

i hope pitino isn't the second coming of 'K'.

$10 million per year will buy us:
- macdonald all-am goes in, D-leaguer comes out.
- more have xferred out of puke than probably any other school in the past decade.
- underachieve alll but 1 of past 10 seasons....

let's hope for Izzo2... not K2.

i hope pitino isn't the second coming of 'K'.

$10 million per year will buy us:
- macdonald all-am goes in, D-leaguer comes out.
- more have xferred out of puke than probably any other school in the past decade.
- underachieve alll but 1 of past 10 seasons....

let's hope for Izzo2... not K2.

For some reason I don't think Coach K and Pitino is a fair comparison.

joe did hit his share of clutch FT's.... but had limited upside.. i didn't see him improving much over the next two seasons.. the lack of D is what is glaring.. no heart for it? skill set limited but he did know how to finish around the rim with little floaters or that reverse layup he had.. worst looking jumper on team... other than Oto's.

I wonder if Joe will want to sit a year and go to a lesser D1 program or stay local at D2, play every minute of every game, and be THE big man on campus.

Seems like you're contradicting yourself a bit. In one statement you expect Pitino to leave due to success at the school. Then you say you are not wowed which implies concern.

If you buy your first statement then wouldn't that mean you trust coaches judgement at this point?

In terms of recruiting I will judge Pitino on the 2014 class. MN kids or not, he needs a top 25 type class. We will have plenty of spots to fill and plenty of playing time to offer recruits. I don't judge much of late spring recruiting. It's apples to oranges compares to fall recruiting. Now. If we whiff on the big 3 and land no other top 100 players I will be disappointed for sure.

I'm ready to be patient. For a bit.

I can see why you would think it's a contradiction. What I was trying to say (not very clearly) is that I still don't think he's going to be around long but now, based on these early moves, I'm not so sure that he's going to be able to deliver quickly. As I look at 2014, Tyus has been a lost cause for a long time but I'm wondering if Vaughn and Travis are going to look at these early moves, particularly moving Coleman out (if the rumors are true), and back completely away.

In other words, Pitino has always been a short timer in my opinion (I know many will disagree with me). He may not get an elite job if he doesn't do well but someone will come calling who will offer him enough to leave. As a longtime fan, what I want out of the deal is exciting ball, wins and not to get pounded by the NCAA when he leaves. The initial moves leave me wondering if I'm going to get something in exchange for a "coach rental."

I wonder if Joe will want to sit a year and go to a lesser D1 program or stay local at D2, play every minute of every game, and be THE big man on campus.

Joe will end up at a very solid program. He's a good player with a lot of upside.

This is a vast overstatement. Pitino is a long-term hire. That fact that anyone would judge him a failure or success based on the next couple of seasons needs to have their head and priorities in life examined.

C'mon: He's on loan to us from Louisville. When dad retires - He's gone!!

I get that there are people who don't like Duke, but to bag on Coach K's success is moronic. All he does is recruit top talent (who also can academically qualify to get into Duke) and produce conference and national title contenders every year. If that's not something you'd like from Coach Pitino...I guess I have a different idea of the definition of success.

Your 2017 being year five caught me off guard. I really don't consider 2017 to be 5 years from now, I consider this upcoming season to be more of 2014 year seeing as 3 months of the season are in 2014

Also, I don't think Daquean McNeil is at all a testament to what Pitino is, he was a last ditch effort to begin some semblance of his style to the program in year one...

My point with McNeil was just to state that 5 years is so long from now that his first recruit will have already graduated (hopefully). The 2017-2018 basketball season will be Pitino's 5th year coaching at the U. Tim Brewster was fired during year 4. Tubby was fired after year 6. I'm not predicting anything about Pitino's tenure, just stating that we will all have a very good idea about the state of the Gopher basketball program under him by year 5.

I know this is my opinion so take it as it is; but I really do not think that he would go to Louisville after his father. The bar would already be set very high when his father retires. The fan base and booster would expected to maintain or increase. Plus, he will have to deal with the pressure of having his father's legacy sitting on his shoulders. I would think if he did leave he would try to rebuild and at a program. Having a lowered bar and raising it up is a lot easier than having the bar high. I don't want him to leave; but based on his father's job jumping abilities, it is a possibility.

This worry is just a waste to me.

Louisville isn't going to take a coach who fails miserably at MN regardless of his last name. If he for to Louisville it'd mean he had some good success here. Why is that a bad thing?

I can see why you would think it's a contradiction. What I was trying to say (not very clearly) is that I still don't think he's going to be around long but now, based on these early moves, I'm not so sure that he's going to be able to deliver quickly. As I look at 2014, Tyus has been a lost cause for a long time but I'm wondering if Vaughn and Travis are going to look at these early moves, particularly moving Coleman out (if the rumors are true), and back completely away.

In other words, Pitino has always been a short timer in my opinion (I know many will disagree with me). He may not get an elite job if he doesn't do well but someone will come calling who will offer him enough to leave. As a longtime fan, what I want out of the deal is exciting ball, wins and not to get pounded by the NCAA when he leaves. The initial moves leave me wondering if I'm going to get something in exchange for a "coach rental."

The coach won't be around long, won't deliver quickly, Vaughn and Travis back completely away because Coleman is gone and NCAA are coming after the program when the coach leaves.

Imagine what is going to happen by the time he actually coaches his first game for Minnesota. The outcome is unthinkable.

Top Bottom