2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Gotta wonder what the Gophers do now. Two open schollies. Tournament game and a coach in question.

It is going to be an interesting offseason.

Disappointed he chose MSU, wish him the best, but will sure be rooting for him to never beat the Gophers.

No one should be surprised. The sh!t show that has been put on here the last 3 months, the uncertainty of the coach that is not a good recruiter to begin with, why would he come here? We are Effed with Tubster at the helm.

Well, that's that. Worst of luck to him in his basketball endeavors, and let's find somebody who can dominate him in the post for four years. I hope Tubby isn't left scrambling for somebody like he was when we lost Corey Joseph.

Gotta wonder what the Gophers do now. Two open schollies. Tournament game and a coach in question.

It is going to be an interesting offseason.

Disappointed he chose MSU, wish him the best, but will sure be rooting for him to never beat the Gophers.

Bank them both.

Maybe he can find another Mo Walker project.:rolleyes:

Good luck to him, unless he's playing us. Seems like a good kid.

Things could get dark here really quick. If the Gophers do fire Tubby and don't land a big name I'd guess we'll see a transfer or two. The front court is going to be a mess next year. Eliason is forced into the starting role and it's anybody's guess who will get regular minutes at PF.

I'm really not sure what to expect. Hopefully the squad doesn't end up with a couple more later commits like Mav or Chip to fill in for these open scholarships.

Bank them both.

Gotta think that's the right play with Buggs essentially being a freshman next yet.

The only real other possibility is if a new coach can potentially get someone to flip their current commitment.

No one should be surprised. The sh!t show that has been put on here the last 3 months, the uncertainty of the coach that is not a good recruiter to begin with, why would he come here? We are Effed with Tubster at the helm.

If people didn't keep bantering about Tubby getting fired, maybe it would have been a different decision for Gavin. Unfortunately some people have seemed insistent on making things worse than they probably had to be.

Bank both, have a Jones, Vaughn, Travis, , Okonoboh class, completely destroy schilling when we play mich st.

Amelia blog: Gophers target Gavin Schilling announces he is going to Michigan State

With Schilling off the board, the Gophers’ options for a third recruit for the 2013-14 are rapidly thinning. Ellis will probably play shooting guard, and Foster is a wing, but with seniors Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams both departing after the season, along with Andre Ingram, the Gophers are in desperate need of some big men to help the team regroup in that area. They will have Elliott Eliason, Mo Walker and Charles Buggs, who redshirted this season.

Without many other bigs available right now, there is a chance the Gophers could look to junior colleges for their final scholarship.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/199219221.html

Go Gophers!!

If people didn't keep bantering about Tubby getting fired

I guarantee that "people" like us having conversations about Tubby getting fired has absolutely no influence on a recruit's decision. National writers, perhaps, but not fans. National writers are talking about Tubby getting fired because he seriously underachieved in a year that this team was supposed to be a major contender. Year's like that don't come around very often for schools like Minnesota and he (and the players) blew it. The majority of the blame for these conversations lies in Tubby's hands and the program is taking the fall for it.

If people didn't keep bantering about Tubby getting fired, maybe it would have been a different decision for Gavin. Unfortunately some people have seemed insistent on making things worse than they probably had to be.
It's the poor coaching performance, not the banter, that is problematic for Tubby. When you have unmet expectations- the banter follows- it doesn't matter what major school you look at.

I was hoping for Schilling but kind of always felt he would end up at MSU. I'm kind of torn whether to just bank the scholarship for 2014 or go out and get another big. If Buggs and Foster can both play PF than I would be good with banking it, but if are only bigs are Oto, EE, and Mo we almost have to add another PF.

Maybe Muscala or Wolters or both can find a graduate program at Minnesota they would like to enroll in...lol

Can we stop pretending like Gavin Schilling was a must get. Sure he would have been nice to have but he's just like Buggs and Foster.

Mo's got a lot of potential, but he needs to get coached up. EE gets an 'A' for effort, but he should be coming off the bench on a good team. What we're really going to be lacking at the C/F is numbers. This does start to look kinda bleak.

Thinking about it this year we have Rodney as the PF and Buggs and Foster have the same type of build as Rodney but probably not as athletic as few people are but I think right now I would lean towards just banking the scholarship and playing Buggs and Foster there as well as Oto if he can improve over the summer.

Yes, because there aren't a million other things besides fans wanting Tubby fired that competing programs couldn't/wouldn't use against UM basketball right now - their crap offense, the stale records for the past five seasons, the number of kids who have transferred/left the program, staff members getting DUIs, etc.

Top Bottom