Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

Burns retweeted this

“@MVofDT: On a per recruit, standardized basis, the #Gophers 2013 class is 45th nationally and ahead of Iowa, Illinois and Purdue in the B1G.”

So? Your argument was that Stanford and Miami only had "like 12" recruits and were ranked below us. USC has exactly 12 listed by Rivals and ranks in the top 10.

My point was that rivals rankings base too much on the number of recruits you sign, when it should be about the quality of the recruits.

My point was that rivals rankings base too much on the number of recruits you sign, when it should be about the quality of the recruits.

Well...no. Your statement could only have been interpreted that by having only 12 recruits it would be easy to understand why Stanford and Miami would rank behind The Gophers on Rivals. I clearly showed you an instance where that it is not the case. You didn't like the results, so you came up with some other rationale.

Well...no. Your statement could only have been interpreted that by having only 12 recruits it would be easy to understand why Stanford and Miami would rank behind The Gophers on Rivals. I clearly showed you an instance where that it is not the case. You didn't like the results, so you came up with some other rationale.

It is easy to understand.

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
Texas WR Keshawn Henderson has not signed anywhere yet per his head coach. #Minnesota sent him a LOI this morning says Henderson. #Gophers

KFAN tweet: Limegrover: "What we try to accomplish with our signing class ... is to get pieces that are going to fit into our scheme." #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Come on now, that really said nothing. What coach would say "We pick guys regardless if they fit into our coaching schemes"? He should be a politician...

@dp_the_great_: It's official I never thought I would of came this far. Proud to be a gopher. Blessed to be in this situation

Go Gophers!!

Come on now, that really said nothing. What coach would say "We pick guys regardless if they fit into our coaching schemes"? He should be a politician...

I know you would never consider this, but perhaps he spoke the truth?

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
Texas WR Keshawn Henderson has not signed anywhere yet per his head coach. #Minnesota sent him a LOI this morning says Henderson. #Gophers

I don't know why I'm really hoping we "steal" a kid from Old Dominion (of all places), but I really hope Henderson comes to his senses and signs with us. As unclear as his situation is, it must be his supposed offer list. Anyway, adding one more athletic receiver - even if he isn't a burner - would be great.

I don't know why I'm really hoping we "steal" a kid from Old Dominion (of all places), but I really hope Henderson comes to his senses and signs with us. As unclear as his situation is, it must be his supposed offer list. Anyway, adding one more athletic receiver - even if he isn't a burner - would be great.

I don't think it's a supposed list. I mean those offers probably were taken off the table at some point, but everything I've seen suggests they did in fact exist. I hope he signs.

Lighten-up Francis.

" When we do live evaluations, if we like a kid, we are going to offer him whether he has 0 stars or 5 stars." That's a little self-serving. They never get the chance to evaluate 5-Star kids. They've probably never have had a 5-Star kid on an official, probably even unofficial visit.

Much to Claeys credit he just said as much on KSTP. Put Zulgad in his place too, bless him. He also addressed:

- Because of where they've coached they don't see those kids. That means they've gotten use to looking for other things i.e. his parents, how he looks in practice not just on film, his frame, how many meals the kid's been getting to figure out where he might end-up "size-wise" etc.

- Minnesota had a down year for talent. It happens. Talent levels go up and down on a yearly basis. Even Florida has a down year once and awhile. It's just that they still have a LOT of talent.

- The importance of getting highly recruited instate kids. You're not going to get major talent to leave their home state if it has one or more BCS schools, very often so you need to get the Home kids when you can. This was just a bad year for that kind of talent here in Minnesota

He is 100% right on those comments which makes this year even more disappointing from an in-state standpoint. Yes the class was thin but you can't lose two of the top three to Wisconsin and Iowa respectively. Losing a CDH kid to Notre Dame, yeah not a lot you can do about that one but you have to lock up the other two when it is your conference rival that is taking them from you.

He is also dead on saying you should offer a guy you evaluate and think can play regardless of the number of stars by their name, that being said they are clearly struggling to get the higher end rated players they offer to commit here.

Overall this is a solid class and one that will certainly provide depth on the roster. Will be interesting to see if anyone out of this class gets into the rotation quickly for playing time. Would think the JC LB's have a great shot to play and any WR commits have solid odds of getting in the rotation due to a lack of talent blocking their path.

@tr3yesimmons: S/O to all our new Golden Gophs signing 2day #SkiUMah #GoGophs

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that Neiko Robinson is the only PSU verbal left to sign. Coincidence? Or just a timing thing.

Who knows.

Maybe his girlfriend is going to OD!

I don't really mind not getting Tedric. We didn't really need a safety in this class, he might've bulked up to LB, but we got a bunch of LBs in this class. He seemed decent, but not great to me.

Apparently they have a soph. QB who set the FCS record for completions and passing yards in a season.

He had a game this year where he threw for over 700 yards and 5 TDs. I can't remember the details of it, but he received quite a bit of coverage for the game. They play good football in that conference, but it's weird for a kid to consider them over a Big 10 school.

@gophergridiron: Chad Fahning has accepted admittance to the U of MN! #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I don't really mind not getting Tedric. We didn't really need a safety in this class, he might've bulked up to LB, but we got a bunch of LBs in this class. He seemed decent, but not great to me.

I always looked at Tedric as an OLB and I am pretty disapointed that we missed on him. I wouldn't be surprised if it came down to Campbell or Thompson (either from our end or if Thompson was waiting to see about Campbell), so that sting isn't as painful considering we have Campbell.

@1500espn_reusse: Gophs 12th in Big Ten as media & fans salute Coach Kill's recruiting acumen. Country Jer landed in softest FB job in the country.

Go Gophers!!

@nadinebabu: Kill on the best recruit: For me to point out just one, I can't do it justice, because there's several of them. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@NadineBabu: Kill: We've got a great relationship with the HS coaches, I always tell them if we're not doing something right, tell us #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom