Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

@crhoda_: Thank you to everyone that came to watch us sign. I couldn't have done it without all of you guys. Ski u mah!!

Go Gophers!!

He is 100% right on those comments which makes this year even more disappointing from an in-state standpoint. Yes the class was thin but you can't lose two of the top three to Wisconsin and Iowa respectively. Losing a CDH kid to Notre Dame, yeah not a lot you can do about that one but you have to lock up the other two when it is your conference rival that is taking them from you.

He is also dead on saying you should offer a guy you evaluate and think can play regardless of the number of stars by their name, that being said they are clearly struggling to get the higher end rated players they offer to commit here.

Overall this is a solid class and one that will certainly provide depth on the roster. Will be interesting to see if anyone out of this class gets into the rotation quickly for playing time. Would think the JC LB's have a great shot to play and any WR commits have solid odds of getting in the rotation due to a lack of talent blocking their path.

I'd lean towards Claeys theory here. When you've got above average talent instate you've got to get your share. This year? If the instate kids just aren't that good than no, signing them over better kids from outstate wouldn't be a good idea, particularly in a year when scholarships are limited.

I'd lean towards Claeys theory here. When you've got above average talent instate you've got to get your share. This year? If the instate kids just aren't that good than no, signing them over better kids from outstate wouldn't be a good idea, particularly in a year when scholarships are limited.

I agree in regards to fringe guys but if you offer an instate kid a scholarship then you need to get them more often then not. Of the top 4 (according to Rivals) we offered 3 and went 0 for 3 including losing 2 of them to conference rivals. According to Rivals we didn't offer Cottrell, I don't know the specifics of his situation but I definitly would not have offered him over out state kids just because he is from Minnesota.

So Baylor tried to get Alex Mayes to switch last minute, huh? That's interesting since he's been Mr. Gopher on twitter for about a year now.

So Baylor tried to get Alex Mayes to switch last minute, huh? That's interesting since he's been Mr. Gopher on twitter for about a year now.

From my time spent in Texas, most of them can't fathom a person leaving Texas by their own free will.

@darrenwolfson: Cooper CB Malik Rucker said the #Gophers offered, but it was a "weird situation." Tried to get him to elaborate. He declined. Iowa bound.

Go Gophers!!

This isn't a rip on Doogie, but this is why twitter has ruined journalism.

Can you imagine Cronkite saying something like "Weird situation in the Middle East today, no further details"?

I agree in regards to fringe guys but if you offer an instate kid a scholarship then you need to get them more often then not. Of the top 4 (according to Rivals) we offered 3 and went 0 for 3 including losing 2 of them to conference rivals. According to Rivals we didn't offer Cottrell, I don't know the specifics of his situation but I definitly would not have offered him over out state kids just because he is from Minnesota.

Brookins and Rucker hurt a bit. I don't think there is anyway to spin that situation. We all know Brookins got injured now and maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing in diguise for our program that he went Becky, but at the time, we wanted him and Becky got him.

The Rucker situation seems a little different, but there can't be many kids going forward, from MN, who choose Iowa over us. When that happens, things aren't going well in regards to in-state recruiting.

From my time spent in Texas, most of them can't fathom a person leaving Texas by their own free will.

Strange considering kids frequently pick average big10 teams over texas teams like Baylor and Texas Tech. Texas and Texas A&M would be a different story.

"I asked the coaching staff which guys I get the weed and 'roids from, and they 'acted' like they didn't know. I mean, how weird is that?"

Just wrote this in the Malik Rucker thread as well but maybe Kill wouldn't scream "show me the money!" into the phone?

Maybe he just wanted to go to Iowa because he liked it better?

Can't win 'em all guys.

Love coach Kill playing up Minnesota as a great destination after graduation. Looked up the census income numbers. Here is the rank, state, and median income for the B10 and SEC schools. In summary, 8 of 11 B10 schools' median income is greater than $50,000, 11 of 11 SEC schools below $50,000.

1 Maryland 67,469
4 New Jersey 65,072
12 Minnesota 56,869
18 Nebraska 53,927
20 Illinois 52,801
21 Wisconsin 52,574
25 Iowa 51,322
27 Pennsylvania 50,087
29 Texas 49,195
32 Michigan 48,281
33 Missouri 48,058
37 Ohio 46,696
38 Indiana 46,166
39 Florida 46,136
40 Georgia 45,642
43 Louisiana 42,946
45 Kentucky 42,331
46 Alabama 42,245
47 South Carolina 42,065
49 Tennessee 41,524
50 Arkansas 39,806
51 Mississippi 39,078

Strange considering kids frequently pick average big10 teams over texas teams like Baylor and Texas Tech. Texas and Texas A&M would be a different story.

Yeah, I hear you. I was just talking about the average Texan not anyone who followed college football recruiting. Most of the Texans that I knew could not fathom why anyone in any occupation would not want to live in Texas.

Funny tweet:

@MWhickerOCR: To steal George Raveling's line from a long-ago Signing Day: "Where did all the average players go?"

Go Gophers!!

@darrenwolfson: Cooper CB Malik Rucker said the #Gophers offered, but it was a "weird situation." Tried to get him to elaborate. He declined. Iowa bound.

Go Gophers!!

Is this Doogie Digging Dirt?

STrib: DeLaSalle's Fahning turns down a full ride for a dream

"I remember growing up in St. Paul and playing football on the concrete, pretending to be Laurence Maroney," Fahning said. "I always wanted to be a Gopher. And if that's what I wanted, that's what my mother wanted. Her dream was to see me reach my goals."

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/223236

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom