All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

per Sid:

Former Hopkins standout Royce White is close to returning to the Houston Rockets. According to sources in the Houston media, he will begin working out at team facilities in some capacity Monday after a long absence over how to treat his anxiety disorder.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/184519961.html

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Kevin McHale, the former Timberwolves coach who was in town Wednesday to coach the Houston Rockets against the Wolves, pretty much said Royce White has been out of sight and out of mind.

White, the former Mr. Basketball Minnesota out of Hopkins who was the Rockets' first-round draft pick in June, not only hasn't played in any regular-season games but hasn't been seen much in Houston. Among his issues has been a fear of flying.

White's status with the Rockets?

"That's a good question; I don't know," McHale said. "Royce has kind of been away from us for a while, then I was gone for a while, too. And honestly, to be truthful, he hasn't been around. I just haven't seen him.

"As crazy as it might seem, you're just kind of going with the guys that are there. So your focus is on who's playing."

McHale said he hopes, and would assume, White eventually will be back with the team.

But, he added, "I shouldn't say because I really don't know."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_22261773/shooter-now-vikings-leslie-frazier-coach-year-chad

Go Gophers!!

Guess who's back?? How long before the Rockets say enough and just cut him and be done?

“We say there is such an unknown element to mental health in this country, due to the number of people who are not diagnosed. This element also makes it a tough demographic to support.

I agree.

However, it saddens and frightens me to know that in this situation all the decision makers involved have been informed of all the medical dynamics, and yet still refuse to adhere to medical sensibility. In hindsight of the recent tragedies in this country, that had mental illness variables, you would think it would encourage people to act more proactively in that arena. You would think that decision makers who are not well informed about mental health, would take the consultation and recommendation of those who are. You would think we would start to do everything possible to not let the tragic consequences befall us first, before we ask the logical question, “why?”, “who knew?” “how could we have helped?. Why not take a proactive approach of “who knows?” “how can we listen?”, “how can we support now?”

I do wish to play, but I only intend to do so with the collaboration and recommendation of trained professionals. The purpose of a doctor’s confirmation is to ensure that health decisions are made in the sole interest of health and not conflicted with business. My only hope is that decision makers involved realize that doctors are the only logical source to decide action.

There is an admitted lack of knowledge on behalf of the Rockets and the NBA, it becomes transparent as they choose to forego the knowledge of trained professionals and make independent decisions for something as complex as mental health without consulting any doctors. The Rockets have told me in recent conversations that it is their right to decline even their own doctors’ recommendations. The concept of not listening to medical consultants in medical situations is alarming. It is also alarming that a player is susceptible to fines for simply adhering to the recommendation of doctors.

It is true that accommodating mental health can be very tough and complex, however, sometimes the only reasonable solution to doing what is right is doing what is tough. To portray that the Rockets have been supportive to me is fundamentally incorrect.

The information that the Houston Rockets have publicly presented about this situation has been extremely misleading and a lot of times totally inaccurate. An image of support has been presented by the Rockets, but the only logical support here would be listening to the recommendation of the medical professionals involved. That has not totally happened here. I have chosen to not play, because the doctors and I believe it to be unsafe for unqualified Rockets front office personnel to make medical decisions, as they are not mental health professionals.”

-Royce White

This young man's odd saga continues. Maybe he should just go find a different job.

So back when everyone was pissed at Maturi for suspending Royce, do you think Maturi was saying to himself, 'if people only knew what a tool this guy is'.

So back when everyone was pissed at Maturi for suspending Royce, do you think Maturi was saying to himself, 'if people only knew what a tool this guy is'.

so back when everyone was watching royce carry iowa state to the tourney and single handedly gave the eventual national champs a run for their money, do you think tubby was saying to himself 'if people only knew what a tool maturi is, i could have had this royce kid actually playing for the gophers'

ESPN: Royce White would like to play

"There's no mental health protocol here, for not only the Rockets but the entire league, really. I expressed that that's really unsafe if you think about it," he said. "So, basically, I'm fighting to have that rectified. I just don't think it is OK or responsible or even logical to have GMs or any front office personnel have executive authority in medical situations."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8811378/royce-white-blame-houston-rockets-impasse

Go Gophers!!

so back when everyone was watching royce carry iowa state to the tourney and single handedly gave the eventual national champs a run for their money, do you think tubby was saying to himself 'if people only knew what a tool maturi is, i could have had this royce kid actually playing for the gophers'

Ah yes, it is OK for a kid to break rules if he can help the team win...

Quite a guy go4.

Uh, what do they need for a "protocol"??

Would it be something like this?:

Royce: "I can't go into that mall to sign autographs. It's too enclosed..."
Protocolmeister: "OK. Let me consult the handbook." flip flip flip "...autoerot..." flip flip "...automo..." flip "...ah, autographs in enclosed spaces...ok. Now. It says here that we can set up a table outside with a tent over it, but that you'll require Orange Julius and your banky. Will that do?"
Royce: "...and what about the security guards? Keep reading."
Protocolmeister: "Ah yes. And no security guards unless they are bringing you another Orange Julius."
Royce: "Good."

Brucekaupa that is the exact same thing I wondered when I first read that story. League wide protocol? Is the league supposed to prepare a plan of action for any anxiety trigger that any player with anxiety could have?

To be honest I believe that the "protocol" that Royce wants is to be able to play, practice, and travel when he wants to and not have to do anything when he doesn't want to. And if the Houston Rockets don't want to go along with that he is going to say that they are discriminating against people with mental disabilities.

Brucekaupa that is the exact same thing I wondered when I first read that story. League wide protocol? Is the league supposed to prepare a plan of action for any anxiety trigger that any player with anxiety could have?

To be honest I believe that the "protocol" that Royce wants is to be able to play, practice, and travel when he wants to and not have to do anything when he doesn't want to. And if the Houston Rockets don't want to go along with that he is going to say that they are discriminating against people with mental disabilities.

I think you summed it up quite well, but I would add; 'I don't have to go to D League if I don't want to'.

Royce is starting to annoy me.

Bingo

Uh, what do they need for a "protocol"??

Would it be something like this?:

Royce: "I can't go into that mall to sign autographs. It's too enclosed..."
Protocolmeister: "OK. Let me consult the handbook." flip flip flip "...autoerot..." flip flip "...automo..." flip "...ah, autographs in enclosed spaces...ok. Now. It says here that we can set up a table outside with a tent over it, but that you'll require Orange Julius and your banky. Will that do?"
Royce: "...and what about the security guards? Keep reading."
Protocolmeister: "Ah yes. And no security guards unless they are bringing you another Orange Julius."
Royce: "Good."

Hah, now that was funny;)

Well, maybe I'm the only one, but I feel a lot of sympathy for him. He's clearly acting ridiculous, but why? It just makes me sad.

This whole "mental illness" rant has become an excuse to avoid doing what the Rockets want him to do. He's not going to the NBDL because the Rockets didn't clear it with a medical professional first? BS. Do you think the need for a medical professional's opinion would be present if he were a starter for the Houston Rockets?

His anxiety issues have gotten worse since he signed his million dollar contract. Why cant he go to the D-League and just play home games for a while. Big difference between lack of maturity and mental illness. But I think both are involved here.

His anxiety issues have gotten worse since he signed his million dollar contract. Why cant he go to the D-League and just play home games for a while. Big difference between lack of maturity and mental illness. But I think both are involved here.

He says his anxiety is fine. He just wants the "protocol" that doctors recommended implemented and apparently the Rockets are not complying.

The issue is he is the only one speaking, we have heard nothing from doctors or the team nor do we know what this protocol is. The Rockets once employed Ron Artest and have a class act coach in Kevin McHale. I have a hard time believing that they would say no to any reasonable demands from health professionals.

There is a lot more here IMO than we know having only heard Royce's side, little doubt in my mind that there is more to this than the Rockets just being "afraid of mental health issues." this has been a disaster PR move for Royce and he needs to fix that if he wants to play in the NBA. To quote AJ Barker, in the league you are a dime a dozen Royce, you will get your money from your first contract. Don't worry. But the Rockets will have no problem finding someone who can actually step foot on the court to replace you.

He wanted protocol, he got protocol. Someone doesn't show up for work, they get suspended.

Here are Royce's tweets following today's suspensions:

"What's suspending me suppose to do �� I've been away from the team for a month 1/2. Guess we want to give it a title to shift accountability."

"Threat, Fines, Suspension won't deter me. I won't accept illogical health decisions, I will keep asking for safety & health. #BeWell @dmorey"

"Again the @HoustonRockets management has gone against what THEIR OWN docs have declared & their own words. #Illogical pic.twitter.com/59ABOu1J"

"Not refusing #DLeague I'm refusing to work, AT ALL, until a protocol is put in that ensures #safety.. Doctors should make medical decisions."

"Undeniably UNSAFE 4 ANY PLAYER, when management has exec. authority in medical situations. Conflict of Interest, Health vs. Business #BeWell"

"Let me say it again, ��... UNSAFE 4 ANY PLAYER, when management takes exec. authority in a medical situation. Its a conflict of interest."

"How much easier would it be to implement a protocol that gives Docs ONLY, executive authority in medical situations? Easy & Logical ��*shrug*"

Go Gophers!!

I can remember enough from my Psych 101 to recognize more than a few traits in the definition of a sociopath. He's a classic example. Said it before, absolutely baffled by the fact his time in Ames was drama free (at least in public). Also, if he won't do what is expected of him when millions are at stake, the folks who were all for Royce when he was being treated so unfairly here by the U, might want to re-examine their support. Waiting for a rap video next.

In the boxing movie Cinderella Man, Russell Crow the boxer when asked why he is going to fight a guy likely to bash his brains in says, I am fighting for Milk; milk for his kids, going on to say how people risk their lives every day on the docks and at least he gets paid for his risk.

Hope White get help but I also hope the league bans the guy until he can earn the money he was being paid.

Seems to me he doesn't really want to play ball he is posturing for a settlement on his rookie contract in exchange for going away; pocket a million or two or maybe a bit more and ride off into whatever sunset Royce sees every day.

The protocol should be:

Rockets mgmt goes over to Royce's apartment and steals some clothing, and when Royce chases them out to the driveway they punch him in the face.

Next, after Royce gets a restraining order for mgmt to stay away from Royce's premises, they(mgmt) walk into Royce's apartment and declare 'Hello we're Rocket's Mgmt.'...............all the while some of mgmt's associates are stealing Royce's Twitter account.

Does he not have any intelligent friends and family around him to tell him that twitter might not be a good idea? Good Lord, he sounds worse and worse every time he writes something.

Does he not have any intelligent friends and family around him to tell him that twitter might not be a good idea? Good Lord, he sounds worse and worse every time he writes something.

That is exactly what I was thinking, GII. The wronger one is, the arguer they get.

Top Bottom