GOLD OUT

Dude, I usually dig what you have to say on here, including much of the harshly honest stuff. But you are just digging yourself into a stubborn-hole. You're acting like a friend of mine who, despite the fact that he was from Minnesota and attended the U, still insisted on being a badger fan. The guy just liked the badgers, no particular reason; always had - a straight up preference.

After all, it's essentially equivalent (ignoring the perpetual drunken arrogance and occasional deer-raping). Right? Why should he be a gopher fan?

Everyone here knows that he should have become a gopher fan because he attended the U. He is just "that guy". Of course he has the right to be a stubborn contrarian. After all, it is an equivalent option, right? He was all proud of the U and to be from Minnesota and to get his degree from there. He just preferred the wisky football team. Good guy, but also a bit of a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

I have the same opinion of the deliberate maroon wearers on goldout Saturdays.

I could write a virtual treatise on the subject, but I'll leave it at this. I think the whole [ ]-out concept is inane and idiotic, and I'm hoping that by not participating I will help bring this ridiculous "phenomenon" to its rightful and speedy demise.

I own Gold Stuff. I'm wearing Maroon on principle.

+1. I own tons of gold stuff, certainly more than I do maroon. I'll be wearing the latter this coming Saturday.

I've often looked around while attending Gopher football games and wondered to myself "Who approved that???". All the grab-a$$ that goes on at the "Bank" in an effort to "entertain" the fans blows my mind. It kind of makes you wonder if most of the fans are there to enjoy college football or all the sideshows that are taking place throughout the game.

I think a Fan Advisory Board, as you suggested, is a tremendous idea and would gladly participate. I hate feeling embarrassed by all the failed attempts to copy other teams' traditions and would love, for once, to see others copying us. The first order of business I would propose would be to have our PA announcer muzzled (seems counter-intuitive, I know). Do we really need to be coached to stand up on every 3rd down or notified that "That's another Golden Gopher first down!" (also stolen, by the way). If people are paying attention to the game and not watching Goldy shooting t-shirts into the stands, they should already know these things. Oh, and at what point in this program's history did we start barking after singing the Rouser? I don't feel like we were doing this even 5 years ago. Possibly another stolen tradition from a team whose mascot was some kind of dog, which would be completely appropriate.

Why do we as a university feel we need to copy someone elses idea? If you succeed, people say it was copied and if you fail, it looks lame. In other words, as far as branding is concerned, it is a no win situation. I know if the department made an effort they could come up with something far better.... and if they couldn't, they would hope to tap us fans for ideas. How about a Fan Advisory Board? Any good marketer uses focus groups and market research, so why not use us?

I would be happy to volunteer for a Fan Advisory Board. If they listened to the fans, I think they'd get some great and creative ideas that just might work. Come on Marketing Department, use your resources.

My opinion on the "Gold Out" is, I will wear gold. But, in the future, if they really want this to be successful, they need to issue shirts to everyone that comes in the gates. How difficult is that? Spend $3 a shirt (a price I am seemingly making up because I have no idea what it would cost) on however many shirts and have Student volunteers or some of the volunteers of the "We are Minnesota" spirit squad, or whatever they are, hand out shirts at the game. The cost to do this isn't astounding, and considering some of the other things that the athletic department wastes money on, it seems pretty simple. You could also have some company slap their logo on the back of the shirts or something if the U really doesn't feel like paying for them. Finding a company to do that however may be the hard part. TCF perhaps? Some other large corporation?

This seems like an incredibly simple solution to me, but what do I know. Like it has been stated previously in this thread, simple solutions seem to escape some of the administration sometimes. Those are just my thoughts.

Yes, the University of Minnesota: if other schools do it, we don't do it, and if other schools don't do it, we don't do it either. It leaves you comfortably devoid of any tradition. Perhaps that blank slate is what passes for tradition?

I am sure it has been said somewhere in this topic but it just doesn't make sense to do this when we have over 15,000 empty seats in a 50,000 seat stadium. It is a questionable, played-out idea on it's face but given our situation (horrible crowds) it is just plain stupid.

I am sure it has been said somewhere in this topic but it just doesn't make sense to do this when we have over 15,000 empty seats in a 50,000 seat stadium. It is a questionable, played-out idea on it's face but given our situation (horrible crowds) it is just plain stupid.
Attendance last weekend?

Some of u cheap-asses that just want free shirts in order to join the Gold Out...go buy something....

http://www.bookstores.umn.edu/viewCategory.cgi?categoryID=5866#.UFD6zIl5mc0

I'm not one of those who is cheap and not willing to buy a gold shirt as I own plenty and will probably take advantage of the gold sale. I'm just saying, (cheap people included) if they want the gold out to really work, they should just issue shirts to everyone who attends. Look at how well it works in the student section. It will never happen I guess, but that is just my opinion.

I love the idea but realistically it is great when you can get someone to wear anything with the U of M on it. I see people wearing Twins and Vikings gear.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!

As far as choosing the game or opponent, they need to do these GOLD OUTs early in the season, because for every person that bitches that they do not have a $3 gold shirt, imagine how many would bitch that they don't have gold jackets.

As for anyone that refuses to wear gold on principle - get out of my foxhole, you're a death trap.

As far as choosing the game or opponent, they need to do these GOLD OUTs early in the season, because for every person that bitches that they do not have a $3 gold shirt, imagine how many would bitch that they don't have gold jackets.

As for anyone that refuses to wear gold on principal - get out of my foxhole, you're a death trap.

Exactly.

I do agree that the concept is played out, especially in the NBA during the playoffs, but once a year is reasonable. The fact they print it on the tickets is a move in the right direction but I think they should save it for B1G games.

I could write a virtual treatise on the subject, but I'll leave it at this. I think the whole [ ]-out concept is inane and idiotic, and I'm hoping that by not participating I will help bring this ridiculous "phenomenon" to its rightful and speedy demise.

Alright I get you don't like the idea, I think "inane and idiotic" is over the top for a college football promotion but that's your opinion. What would be a "cool" or "worthwhile" promotion to satisfy you?

Alright I get you don't like the idea, I think "inane and idiotic" is over the top for a college football promotion but that's your opinion. What would be a "cool" or "worthwhile" promotion to satisfy you?

Sitting on your hands during the game and complaining would be a proud Minnesota tradition.

OddStack said:
Season Ticket Holders used to get free long sleeve shirts. Why can't they bring that back for the Gold Outs?

Personally, I always wear gold; it stands out more than the maroon!:cool:

I had completely forgotten about that. I guess I've had tickets for a while. It was a voucher that came with your ticket sheets. Do the same thing but distribute them before the game.

Maybe College Football needs to be a bit more gay...

Z0tXsAtnbHw

Well you could say that it is somewhat gay as I am at every home game and some away games.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparlimb said:
We've lost every gold out I've ever been a part of, so on that alone, I'll be wearing Maroon to make a point on Saturay (I did wear Gold to the UNH game).

And the U is the dumbest athletic department around when it comes to these things. They always call for it when we're plaing someone of the same color. Every time. Michigan and Iowa are awful choices. Next we'll see them call for a black out against Purdue. Does anyone over there have a clue? Besides gold outs look really average in my opinion. Looks much much better on tv to do black or white. And yes, we could do black or white if they coordinate with the team...

Why is that a bad thing? It increases the gold in the stadium if the other team has gold as a color. It wouldn't work as well against, say, wisconsin with a bunch of red spoiling it.

They always call for it when we're plaing someone of the same color. Every time. Michigan and Iowa are awful choices.

What's the point of a gold out, black out etc? The whole stadium is one color. How do you do that against Michigan State or Illinois when their fans are wearing green or orange. You pick teams with gold so their fans are unwittingly a part of the 'out'. Not too tough to figure out.

Oh, and at what point in this program's history did we start barking after singing the Rouser? I don't feel like we were doing this even 5 years ago.

What in the name of holy hell are you talking about? I've been to nearly every Gopher game for the past 10 years and never heard barking. We chant MINNESOTA then the PA guy (and many students) say RAH, once. I, for one, would like the rah replaced with Ski-U-Mah but I'll let that one go for now. What barking are you effing talking about???

36K in attendance? LOL - You must have worn blinders.

I would say 36-38, certainly not more than 40k last week. There were large swaths of open seats in the upper corners plus the away side had entire blocks of rows completely open. The student section was at most 7k (more like 6, which was still better than expected), plus LOTS of random individual/2 seats open. I know many were down at the beer garden but I would not bet money on over 40k there. Of course, the U could just release this number...

Top Bottom