Nate Wolters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy choice for me. Can't say for sure he'd be our best player, but he'd be one of 'em and certainly be a key contributor.

I spent plenty of times after the Gophers game this year and last year saying how he cant play for the Gophers.

How dare fans that have only watched Nate Wolters play two times with their own eyes doubt his ability. How dare they not follow the career of a player living in Brookings, S.D. and instead just base their opinions on those two games in which he went 14 for 37 from the field with 10 turnovers.

Witness, welcome to the world of pissing contests. Do not be afraid to withdraw and stay dry.

Dr.Don, the Supervisor of Referees of Pissing Contests has rendered his decision.

p.s. Do NOT eat yellow snow.

Mbakwe before the injury was shown in mock drafts as the No. 16 pick. Just sayin'

Ranked #25 in what? Definitely not any national poll. They don't even have a single vote?
Mid-Major poll. Btw I'm done with the whole Nate Wolters thing I just think its laughable that they don't think he could start and after the Washington game I felt it justified my point that he could. I wish nothing but the best for the Gophers as I have always been a supporter of the Gophers teams and want them to do well. The Mbakwe injury hurt the team for sure.

You SDSU guys must be really busy visiting every team's board that failed to even offer a scholly to Wolters. It must be exhausting.
I've been a Gopher fan since I was in school during the Musselman era,and have also become a Jacks fan since I've had two kids go there. Is it OK if I post about Nate here ? I've seen Wolters play a lot,and believe me, Maverick shouldn't even be mentioned in the same discussion.

Jordan Dykstra is a versatile forward who was either an Iowa or Iowa St commit. He decommitted after a coaching shuffle. He was a big contributor as a freshman but has been hobbled so far this seaon. Fiegen and White both committed out of a small school in SD and never really got attention thereafter. Both are talented as well. There's also a newcomer shooting guard with experience elsewhere with a long story to SDSU. There is talent there that allows Wolters to be even more effective.

Jordan Dykstra is a versatile forward who was either an Iowa or Iowa St commit. He decommitted after a coaching shuffle. He was a big contributor as a freshman but has been hobbled so far this seaon. Fiegen and White both committed out of a small school in SD and never really got attention thereafter. Both are talented as well. There's also a newcomer shooting guard with experience elsewhere with a long story to SDSU. There is talent there that allows Wolters to be even more effective.
Dykstra was committed to Iowa State and it was a lot more complicated than that lets just say. Also barring a major injury Wolters is on pace to become the first 2,000 point scorer at SDSU

Posted at 7:27

Posted at 10:36

I have a feeling you'll never really be done until everyone agrees he should be on the Naismith list.
I was done with the whole Nate Wolters could play on Minnesota. I have never ever said he should be on Naismith nor have I said he is the best mid-major player in D-1. I just said he could play on Minnesota. And I was responding to a poster talking about Dykstra and Wolters. Fans like you make me laugh though.

Mid-Major poll. Btw I'm done with the whole Nate Wolters thing I just think its laughable that they don't think he could start and after the Washington game I felt it justified my point that he could. I wish nothing but the best for the Gophers as I have always been a supporter of the Gophers teams and want them to do well. The Mbakwe injury hurt the team for sure.
I don't think very many people will argue that if Wolters were to magically start playing for the Gophers, he would be a contributor. The argument is that if he had SIGNED with the Gophers right out of HS he would not have been given the same opportunity to develop that SDSU gave him.

I don't think very many people will argue that if Wolters were to magically start playing for the Gophers, he would be a contributor. The argument is that if he had SIGNED with the Gophers right out of HS he would not have been given the same opportunity to develop that SDSU gave him.
Who were the point guards that would have played ahead of him when the Gophers went in the tank last season ?

In the previous Wolters thread a month ago, the parameters of the discussion surrounded around how good he would be for the Gophers today if he had transferred. I was surprised at how many people refused to admit he would at a minimum be a starter.

If the parameters are "out of high school", I think that's a different discussion. However, right now he would be the Gopher's best player IMO. He has developed into a wonderful player. Not sure if that development would have happened under Tubby from the beginning but I feel confident he would be our leading scorer and #1 playmaker, 2 things we definitely could use, if he were to transfer to Minnesota before the year.

Who were the point guards that would have played ahead of him when the Gophers went in the tank last season ?

Who said anyone would have been? But there's no way he would have averaged 33.2 minutes a game all of last year. There's no way he would have averaged 24.3 minutes a game as a freshman. His numbers were actually not that good his freshman year.

You need to look at it from what we knew when Wolters signed with SDSU.

We had Devoe Joseph and Cobb.

I guess you could make an argument that Wolters should have been offered over Cobb, but that would have been laughable (at the time) by everyone without the "Wolters". Wolters has turned out to be a better player than Cobb, but no one could have expected that at the time. It's the nature of player development.

Some on the hole say, "What are you going to believe, me or your eyes?"

When SDSU came to the Barn, Wolters was the best player on the floor, at least according to my eyes, which I trust. I don't know if I saw enough to think "NBA guard," though. I'm starting to reconsider that, though, after hearing Lorenzo Romar call Wolters' game "one of the best performances by a point guard I've ever seen." "I haven't seen a performance like that since Jason Kidd was in the Pac-10." That's a heck of an endorsement from an accomplished basketball person.

As a St. Cloud Tech grad and basketball fan I have said from day 1 that Nate Wolters is a very, very good player. However, even when he was having an unreal senior season (I was a recent college grad that wasn't working so I watched like 20 games of his that year) I didn't think he would be as good as he is at the D1 level. His athleticism was always a huge issue and I said repeatedly that if Tubby wasn't here and we still had Monson he probably would have gotten more looks from the Gophers.

As someone posted on here earlier this year Wolters didn't play in an elite or even well-known AAU program. He wasted away in obscurity playing out-state high school basketball on a good team. His coming out party vs. Hopkins was a boring 1/2 of basketball that was centered around him having the ball in his hand at all times because that was the only way Tech could compete. The coach said so before the game.

He would help the Gophers now, he would have helped them a lot last year but its foolish to say Tubby really screwed up. No one wanted him at the D1 level. He was very close to playing D2 basketball. His size, work-ethic, shooting, passing, etc. is great but to say he would be this good for the Gophers is wrong...and I have been promoting Wolters since I joined this site. The 38mpg have helped him develop a lot faster than if he had played 8mpg as a frosh, 17-20mpg (after the Nolen injury) as a soph. and then became a starter this year (if that even happened, who knows?)

As for the NBA, I think he will have a nice career playing overseas (if he chooses that route) but wouldn't be able to physically play at the NBA level. Who on Earth would he guard? Too slow to guard a 1, too small to guard an average 2 and he isn't a lights out 3-point shooter like Kapono, Korver, etc. so that isn't part of the plan for him either.

As a St. Cloud Tech grad and basketball fan I have said from day 1 that Nate Wolters is a very, very good player. However, even when he was having an unreal senior season (I was a recent college grad that wasn't working so I watched like 20 games of his that year) I didn't think he would be as good as he is at the D1 level. His athleticism was always a huge issue and I said repeatedly that if Tubby wasn't here and we still had Monson he probably would have gotten more looks from the Gophers.

As someone posted on here earlier this year Wolters didn't play in an elite or even well-known AAU program. He wasted away in obscurity playing out-state high school basketball on a good team. His coming out party vs. Hopkins was a boring 1/2 of basketball that was centered around him having the ball in his hand at all times because that was the only way Tech could compete. The coach said so before the game.

He would help the Gophers now, he would have helped them a lot last year but its foolish to say Tubby really screwed up. No one wanted him at the D1 level. He was very close to playing D2 basketball. His size, work-ethic, shooting, passing, etc. is great but to say he would be this good for the Gophers is wrong...and I have been promoting Wolters since I joined this site. The 38mpg have helped him develop a lot faster than if he had played 8mpg as a frosh, 17-20mpg (after the Nolen injury) as a soph. and then became a starter this year (if that even happened, who knows?)

As for the NBA, I think he will have a nice career playing overseas (if he chooses that route) but wouldn't be able to physically play at the NBA level. Who on Earth would he guard? Too slow to guard a 1, too small to guard an average 2 and he isn't a lights out 3-point shooter like Kapono, Korver, etc. so that isn't part of the plan for him either.

False. Wolters AAU program (Minnesota Comets) is very well known in the state, if you know anything about AAU basketball. I think Wolters was a lot closer to being a Gopher today than most realize (as a transfer).

I was done with the whole Nate Wolters could play on Minnesota. I have never ever said he should be on Naismith nor have I said he is the best mid-major player in D-1. I just said he could play on Minnesota. And I was responding to a poster talking about Dykstra and Wolters. Fans like you make me laugh though.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bold/underline comment. Unregistered User makes me laugh probably more than any member on the board. Very astute of you to notice in such a short time here. Congrats!

Wolters folds like a cheap,suit in the big games 0-6 vs NDSU and he was 2-14 twice AT ndsu. hes overrated , and his daddy told him to goto sdsu so he wasnt in ben woodsides shadow. Chump

Wolters folds like a cheap,suit in the big games 0-6 vs NDSU and he was 2-14 twice AT ndsu. hes overrated , and his daddy told him to goto sdsu so he wasnt in ben woodsides shadow. Chump

Great...it's like we chummed the waters with Wolters but we attracted the not so rare scum-bag fish.

Care to discredit my facts? Cuz ya cant. Wash is like 4-5 horrible, plus if he cant single.handily beat a #308 rpi.und team that is pathetic, then theres your.answer.
He will be sellin cars at tenvorde ford in 2 years, congrats.

Care to discredit my facts? Cuz ya cant. Wash is like 4-5 horrible, plus if he cant single.handily beat a #308 rpi.und team that is pathetic, then theres your.answer.
He will be sellin cars at tenvorde ford in 2 years, congrats.

Gotten in any trouble with the police lately?

In the previous Wolters thread a month ago, the parameters of the discussion surrounded around how good he would be for the Gophers today if he had transferred. I was surprised at how many people refused to admit he would at a minimum be a starter.

If the parameters are "out of high school", I think that's a different discussion. However, right now he would be the Gopher's best player IMO. He has developed into a wonderful player. Not sure if that development would have happened under Tubby from the beginning but I feel confident he would be our leading scorer and #1 playmaker, 2 things we definitely could use, if he were to transfer to Minnesota before the year.

So, not only did we miss out on what would be our top player, but now we're supposed to believe that even if we had signed him out of high school we wouldn't have been able to develop him into the 'player' he is today? People are romanticizing this kid and whatever school he goes to a little too much. He seems like a fine player and probably would have a role on a real D1 team, but I maintain that if he truly could be a difference-maker for us, he'd be here. Tubby would've asked, and when Nate changed his pants, he would have accepted.

So, not only did we miss out on what would be our top player, but now we're supposed to believe that even if we had signed him out of high school we wouldn't have been able to develop him into the 'player' he is today? People are romanticizing this kid and whatever school he goes to a little too much. He seems like a fine player and probably would have a role on a real D1 team, but I maintain that if he truly could be a difference-maker for us, he'd be here. Tubby would've asked, and when Nate changed his pants, he would have accepted.
Well there was a rumor of him transferring and to say he woulda crapped his pants is false. Why would you transfer to a school that didn't even bother to recruit you and he would had to sit out a year. Btw the poster saying he doesn't show up in big game is laughable. Did you even look at the stats. He had 32 I believe against NDSU at home. They couldn't stop him but he got no help from other teammates. Washington lost to some decent teams like Duke and still have a good chance of winning the PAC-12. UND they played a week earlier and destroyed them by him. Wolters got hurt but still finished than didn't play the next game and for having an off game Wolters still dropped 24 when they lost. Jacks are young they will have excuse me games.

Go away. Wolters is a good player. Woodside was a very good player as well. "the big games" for Wolters SDSU basketball career will not be NDSU. It will be tournaments and playing the big boys. Just leave.

Never mind....I see lakesreptile has appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom